PDA

View Full Version : Lidded form

Mark sanger
2nd November 2010, 08:16 PM
Hi all

It has been ages since I posted in this forum. Hopefully I am posting it in the right place as I can not see a dedicated pic forum/section so I guess it all goes in the main melting pot.

This piece is in the vain of my latest work with a background of various Japanese philosophies.

It is 160mm dia x 100mm high.The bamboo is real as are the leaves and over time the have wilted which is part of the ideas to the piece.

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss166/fullcircle1/STA70687croppedwi.jpg
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss166/fullcircle1/STA70689_773x600_773x600.jpg
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss166/fullcircle1/STA70713_755x600.jpg
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss166/fullcircle1/STA70716_800x600.jpg
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss166/fullcircle1/STA70719_800x600.jpg

Jim Carroll
2nd November 2010, 09:02 PM
Nice work Mark.:2tsup:
Excellent detail.

Is the block of wood as a base part of the concept or just a block to raise it of the bench for photos.

Mark sanger
2nd November 2010, 09:10 PM
HI Jim

Thank you.

The piece is based around various philosophies. The main being wabi-sabi and the Zen belief in impermanence.

wabi-Sabi while very involved and difficult to get my head around, basically means that beauty comes from nature and things that are not perceived as perfect.

So the piece has been made with asymmetric bamboo and the base is a piece of burr oak which again reinforces this belief that as nature made the burr in a certain way than this is it's inherent beauty.

I know for quuite a few people the base has caused on other forums issues as it is not perfectly formed and finished. But this is the foundation of what I was trying to represent. It is also quite a departure from the clinical bases I normally make so was very different for me also.

The impermanence reference comes from the leaves that will wilt and eventually drop off, also in the aged patina effect which is to show that all things eventually revert back/are reclaimed by nature.

Thank you again for your comments, they are much appreciated.

I am going to try to edit my first post so that the pictures actually show in the thread. Not use to the workings as yet.

dai sensei
2nd November 2010, 09:20 PM
I like it Mark :2tsup:

What is the timber, and the finish technique?

Mark sanger
2nd November 2010, 09:41 PM
Hi dai

Thank you

the timber is ash. The colouring is done by first texturing the wood and then adding the base colour. Which in this case was a mixture of red and black spirit stains.

Then once dry verdigris wax is rubbed into it and burnished off with a cotton clothe ( all done off the lathe)

That is it.

You can achieve different effects by altering the base colour. IE bronze use a deep brown/red, copper more of a green.

Hope this helps.

Take care

Mark

Nai84
2nd November 2010, 10:38 PM
Hey Mark

WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW :2tsup: that is a master piece I love the colouration in the piece and the bamboo and leaves on top are the icing on the cake:D well done mate

Ian

mkypenturner
2nd November 2010, 11:23 PM
WOW THATS GOTTA BE A KEEPER:2tsup:

Mark sanger
3rd November 2010, 01:01 AM
Ian and Myk

Thank you for your comments.

I like making these sorts of pieces very much.

I would have liked to have kept it but it sold as soon as I posted it in a UK forum. Being a poor woodturner I could not turn it down. :)

artme
3rd November 2010, 07:41 AM
Mark, you may not have posted for ages but I am glad you have now done so!!:):):)

That is a truly beautiful piece of art!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

It is refreshing to see work that is notshiny and "perfect' but has a rutic beauty of its own.

munruben
3rd November 2010, 07:56 AM
Very nice :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
3rd November 2010, 12:07 PM
Nice piece Mark. :2tsup:

I like the impression it gives of a Japanese Zen sand garden.

Sawdust Maker
3rd November 2010, 08:28 PM
I'm going to be lazy :D

:wts:

:yourock2:

orraloon
3rd November 2010, 09:44 PM
Really great bit of work.
Regards John

joevan
4th November 2010, 11:51 AM
Hello Mark,

As it looks you let your free spirit run wild and you are not in any way hampered by any conventional and traditional bowl tuners. A great art statement and I do agree with you, there is beauty in everything..

BR Joe v K.

NeilS
4th November 2010, 02:41 PM
Definitely wabi-sabi to my eye, Mark.

Came under the influence of wabi-sabi through my ceramics teachers who both spent time learning about the pottery tradition in Japan.

Mark sanger
4th November 2010, 08:28 PM
Hi all

Thank you very much for all of you comments. They are much appreciated as I enjoy making these pieces and I want others to enjoy them as much as me.

I still do make perfectly shiny pieces but I find having made those for so many years that they do not satisfy me as when I first started turning.

It is important to me to now put my thoughts within my work, even if others do not see them, as I feel that this for me gives a much greater connection with the work and makes it more whole. It also has a part of me in it which I feel gives the work a unique identity, after all we are all different and this will show in our work.

I have studied various forms of Japanese disciplines in my younger life and still do today. I guess this has formed the way I think and in turn is reflected in my work.

Thank you all very much again.

Take care

Mark

orificiam
4th November 2010, 10:35 PM
Hello Mark, I loved it when I first saw it in Woodworkers Institute and still do Here. What can I Say==You're the Man.Congratulation, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your Work.:2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)

Mark sanger
5th November 2010, 12:12 AM
Hi Tony

Thank you. I am not sure about being the man. You should see my fire wood pile. :U

Take care

Mark