PDA

View Full Version : My first bowls

sturina
3rd November 2010, 06:46 PM
Hi All. I have turned my first bowls using my lathe. The bottoms are not fantastic as I only have a face plate to use but I am happy with the shapes.

Being new at this I have a few questions. Firstly there are two rough spots on the exterior which i have smoothed out as much as possible. These are 180 degrees to each other and I presume are due to the grain. How is best to smooth these out completely, using the lathe or by sanding?

Secondly there are a few gouge marks inside the bowl. I didnt notice the gouge catching (pic 3), is this from the gouge not being sharp enough or just i need to refine my technigue more? To get it completely smooth do I just keep removing more wood or sand?

Anyway for a first couple of attempts I am happy with my progress. Now need some more time to practice.

Pat
3rd November 2010, 07:33 PM
No 80 grit :U gouge or use a scraper

Technique and a sharp tool. I find that a freshly sharpened/honed edge is better for finishing cuts. So the process would be start with a sharp gouge, rough out the bowl to within a few mm of finished thickness, resharpen/hone the gouge, then the final very light cuts, then depending on the finish off the tool, scrape to remove any tearout, then sand to get a polished surface.

Finding the time to practice is the hardest thing about turning, in my experience.

artme
3rd November 2010, 08:25 PM
Doing well!:):):)

As Pat says- sharp tools and technique! Suggest you try for thinner walls also.

sturina
4th November 2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys. I have read of so many different things to finish the bowl off with to give it a shine, what are the recommendations of the experienced turners?

Ed Reiss
4th November 2010, 11:54 AM
If your looking for a quick finish, use EEE and then Shellawax. For more of an "art" finish, tung oil (multi-coats - sanding with 320 in-between) works great.

Welcome to the forum Sturina :U

Nai84
4th November 2010, 06:57 PM
Hey Sturina

Practice, Practice, Practice is the way to go I am only new too but if I was to say anything listen and learn the guys on this forum will help you out in a big way I have learnt heaps from the guys and I have never been so amazed at how may people are willing to help you these guys are awsome:2tsup:. You could always try some sand sealer aswell as what the guys have said above. Nice shapes and well do with the bowls good work:D

Nai

Mark sanger
4th November 2010, 07:30 PM
Hi Sturina

Excellent work seeing they are your first. I agree that sharp tools and good technique are the main aspects but also for me learning about design is also as important. Saying that your bowl shapes are good and all of these things will come with time.

Most importantly for me is to enjoy the journey, don't get to wrapped up when it goes wrong as this is as much part of the learning process as getting it right.

Keep them coming and if you keep progressing like this then you have no worries.

take care

Mark

Paul39
6th November 2010, 10:52 AM
If your looking for a quick finish, use EEE and then Shellawax. For more of an "art" finish, tung oil (multi-coats - sanding with 320 in-between) works great.

Welcome to the forum Sturina :U

Wet sanding with 320 and tung oil, then following with a soft cloth dampened with tung oil until it just begins to drag, will fill in grain and tiny tear out and get a smooth finish faster. Let dry overnight, then repeat.

It still will take many coats on the softer more absorbent timber. When the bowl shows some shine dry, let it dry another day and then use a dry cloth and buff lightly. The surface is like a baby's skin, soft and smooth.

Nice figure and shape on the taller bowl.

Go thinner, after 3 years I'm forcing myself to go thinner. Haven't had one fly to pieces yet.

Paul39
6th November 2010, 11:36 AM
Hi Sturina

Most importantly for me is to enjoy the journey, don't get to wrapped up when it goes wrong as this is as much part of the learning process as getting it right.

Mark

Turning is like learning to ride a bicycle or driving a stick shift car. At first you think about what you are doing, then gradually you are riding or driving and not thinking about it.

I am bothered a bit about the term of "practice", to me that is like doing scales when learning a musical instrument.

Once we have made a bowl or twig pot, we are beyond practicing. We are now making something, some better than others to be sure, but we are creating.

What makes us better is lathe time, the more time spent, the easier the process becomes. We then grab a different tool to see what that will do, or use a familiar one in a different way.

Creating and playing are good for the soul. That is what turning is for me.

rsser
6th November 2010, 12:02 PM
Quite right.

Have fun first.

But you've asked a tech question and it's good to understand this and how to deal with it cos sanding is a PITA and bad for your lungs.

Do a search on 'tear-out' or 'tear out'.

Lots of good advice on this forum.

Doc Ron
8th November 2010, 07:34 AM
I have had some success with rough spots in bowls by coating with a sanding sealer compatible with what I a going to use as a final finish, generally urethane. After this drys, the final cuts with a very sharp gouge or scraper can usually take it down nicely to prepare for final sanding. It frequently takes me more time to sand and finish that it does to turn! Welcome to the craft and art of woodturning!