PDA

View Full Version : Sundays' Turning

Picko
8th November 2010, 09:57 AM
G'day all

Haven't had much shed time of late but got there yesterday and turned a small (140x60) Myrtle bowl with black plastic (pipe fitting) and Huon Pine inlayed rim.

Unfortunately the Huon Pine developed 6 or 7 fine cracks during sanding/finishing. The finish is EEE and Glow.

I have never used plastic as an inlay before and I am blaming it for heat creation/induction into the Huon.

Any thoughts anyone.

Anyway I'm about to go for another first - attaching pics. Wish me luck!

Cheers
Picko

brendan stemp
8th November 2010, 10:48 AM
Excellent work Picko. Good form and the inlay design works very well. Cracks in Huon are called heat checks. These are created from the friction generated in the sanding process that heats the resin in the timber and cracks the wood. Sand with a slow lathe speed and apply minimal pressure on sandpaper. Heat checks are uncommon with a lot of Aussie timbers because of the low resin content in them but Huon Pine (indeed any pine) is one you need to be careful with.

Picko
9th November 2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks Brendan. I was aware of heat checking but have never experienced it before.

munruben
9th November 2010, 08:12 AM
Well done, looks great. Finish has come up really well.:2tsup:

artme
9th November 2010, 08:24 AM
Very well done Picko.!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The fine cracks in the HP might be friction cracks caused by overheating when sanding.

Slowing the lathe down to sand will help and not holding the paper on for long periods also cuts the heat build up.

Picko
9th November 2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks all. Might sneak to the shed again tonight.

Picko

Little Festo
9th November 2010, 08:33 PM
If you have problems with heat checking back off on the speed and pressure when sanding, always keep the sandpaper moving. Also one of those rotary sanding thingies work really well and avoids heat checking.

Good to see that you are being creative and looking for something different re the inlay, well done.

Peter

file:///Users/Woodknot/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png

Nai84
9th November 2010, 10:08 PM
Very nice i love the colours they all blend well and the form is awsome :2tsup:

Ian

TTIT
9th November 2010, 11:10 PM
Very effective rim enhancement :2tsup: - would never have thought of using plastic like that!

Alessandro Erpi
10th November 2010, 07:26 AM
Well done,Picko!!!
Simply a masterpiece,nothing else!!!:):)

orificiam
10th November 2010, 09:17 PM
Nice Work Picko. beautiful Form and a lovely Finish,Well Done.:2tsup:
Cheers Tony,:)

turnerted
11th November 2010, 04:43 PM
Nice job Picko .
Any details of the black plastic pipe insert ?

Ted

Picko
11th November 2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks everyone.

TTIT - I was just looking for a contrast and started looking around at what I had. Turns out it is probably what caused the Huon to overheat as I have turned plenty of Huon before and used as inlays without a problem.

Ted - the plastic was the two into one fitting that was supplied with my dust extractor. I have the unit 'plumbed in' with take off points where required so the 'Y' fitting was kicking around the shed waiting for a start.

I'm actually finding it hard to live with the cracks so might re-mount somehow and attempt a fix. Could end in disaster but it's all practise!

Thanks again all

Picko

Picko
20th November 2010, 04:00 PM
Couldn't stand the cracked inlay any longer so did a dodgy remount, cut out the offending Huon Pine and re-did the inlay. Happy now.

Picko

turnerted
20th November 2010, 04:07 PM
Interesting method of remounting .
Looks good now .

Ted