PDA

View Full Version : Training in the use of a skew.

percy seadog
10th November 2010, 03:19 PM
My big fear after many years of self training through books and videos still remains the use of a skew chisel. Try as I may the use of that frightening tool in forming radiui etc still eludes me. In April 2011 the domestic goddess and I are taking a 3 week break around Tassie with our campervan and it has been suggested ( by a mate over several good bottles of red ) that what better place and time would there be to obtain training in use of the dreaded skew. After a few mishaps it really has put the breeze up me.

The question; there must be a turning school or individual teacher down there who could give me 6 or 8 hrs training or whatever is required to enable me to master the skew. My itinerary for Tassie is open. Love to hear from someone who can point me in the right direction. :?

tea lady
10th November 2010, 04:50 PM
Stop by 's in Tooradin on the way? :shrug: He has set many a skew user straight.:cool:

Jim Carroll
10th November 2010, 05:10 PM
Stop by 's in Tooradin on the way? :shrug: He has set many a skew user straight.:cool:

As Tea Lady has suggested stop at Robbos just a short trip from the Ferry Terminal

rsser
10th November 2010, 06:09 PM
Agree. 's a master of the skew and a good teacher.

Set aside 2 nights in or near Melb and PM to see if he's available and will take you on.

tea lady
10th November 2010, 07:02 PM
Agree. 's a master of the skew and a good teacher.

Set aside 2 nights in or near Melb and PM to see if he's available and will take you on.
He's not home till next week though! :D

Jim Carroll
10th November 2010, 07:05 PM
He's not home till next week though! :D

Thats alright he is not doing the trip till april next year, so a bit of time to get organised.

jefferson
10th November 2010, 08:06 PM
Agree with all of the above recommendations. The Axe Wielder is a skew master. You better watch his grinds though - very short - and his tool steel. You may not be able to sharpen what uses. :rolleyes:

The bugger is here tomorrow, so I'll set him a challenge. :D:D

Drillit
11th November 2010, 09:50 AM
Hi Percy seadog,
Whilst it might be more reading on the subject, John Ewart, a very experienced woodturner and former TAFE teacher does have teaching available with his business at Woolgoolga, near Coffs Harbour. Further, he has done a series of good articles about the skew in the Australian Woodworker - see current publication and preceding 3. I thought Tewantin was in Qld, perhaps my geography is wrong, in relation to comments by others. Hope this helps. Drillit.

rsser
11th November 2010, 11:11 AM
Yes, the 'Skewart' described in the current issue looks like an interesting development.

tea lady
11th November 2010, 04:21 PM
I thought Tewantin was in Qld, perhaps my geography is wrong, in relation to comments by others. Hope this helps. Drillit.I didn't knwo where Tewantin was ! But Percy Sedog said he was going to Tassie. Tooradin is SORTA on the way.:cool:

percy seadog
11th November 2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Firstly Tewantin. Located on the Sunshine Coast beside Noosa.
I will contact both John Ewart and . No problem going down through Coffs or down the coast and into Melbourne through the South Gippsland Hwy and Tooradin.

Regards,

:2tsup:

Mr Brush
11th November 2010, 08:05 PM
I had a chance to try John's "skewart" at a recent weekend turning course at Trend - it really does work as advertised ! I think he took pity on my efforts with a conventional skew.......:rolleyes:

I picked up some HSS tools at McJings today (sans handles), and a new 8" grinder in the Carbatec sale, so first order of business is to try making a "skewart" of my very own. :2tsup:

Refer to John Ewart's article in the current Australian Woodworker for more details.

rsser
11th November 2010, 09:45 PM
What are you up to on our side of the street Mr B??

Acquiring a lathe and now messing about with a heterodox tool. Tsk.

FWIW I've found McJing HSS variable in quality. But you have a taste for sharpening.

I like the HSS blanks from Gary Pye.

artme
11th November 2010, 10:09 PM
Must have a deco at this "skewart.

Taught myself to use the skew by reading Mike Darlow's work and then following his videos. Not an expert because I don't use the tool much. I prefer the Sorensen Spindle tool. Much more tractable and forgiving.

John Saxton
11th November 2010, 10:13 PM
Just an observation here but some folk have found the curved skew less intimidating as with the conventional skew.

And by saying that some of those that do use the curved skew have re-ground the skew into a curved one.

Cheers:)

Ozkaban
12th November 2010, 07:34 AM
I was taught to use a skew by John Ewhart at a trend timber class earlier last year, and was shown again by at the Sydney Forum get together. Honestly, you really could not go wrong with either of them. Both really know their stuff and know how to pass it on to others :2tsup:

Heck, Stop at Coffs for a few days and to a Ewhart course, then at Robbos before you get to tassie, and then buy up heaps of beaut tassie timber to practice on :cool: It'd be like a wood turners workshop crawl :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Drillit
12th November 2010, 09:41 AM
Hi Percy Seadog,
Just a further note. My comments were not limited to the skewart (which I have and it works well), rather that those articles are quite clear about general skew use and the options. It would be a terrific experience to spend some time with john E on your way south and then compare and contrast with , if he was available. I can only say that when you master it, the finish achieved is worth the perserverance. I was taught by John Ewart. Hope this helps. Drillit.