PDA

View Full Version : Dollar Parity Party - Group Buy From Exotic Blanks

Ozkaban
12th November 2010, 08:57 AM
Hi,

It's been a while since the last one, and now that the dollar is in such a strong position, it seems like an ideal time to grab a few bits and pieces from Exotic Blanks again.

I'm keen to order some new inks, blanks and a few other bits and pieces.

I've spoken to Ed and Dawn via email and hopefully we can sort out a good deal on shipping, which is always an issue, but I think it should be ok.

If you're interested, please browse their site exoticblanks.com (http://exoticblanks.com) and post the items you'd like to buy in this thread and I'll keep a tally. Once we get the final list together I can get a full quote including shipping. It would then be a Aust Post satchel (usually 500g for $7.70 or 3kg for $10, I think) locally. I think a couple of weeks is sufficient before submitting the order - say, end of November?

Exotic Blanks have been great to deal with in the past and they have a lot of really awesome stuff on their site. I really like the Private Reserve inks and Heritance nibs.

The easiest way to contact me is via email as PM fills up pretty quickly. Just click my username on the left and select "email member".

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
18th November 2010, 10:57 AM
I'm guessing by the lack of response that all those interested probably still have a bunch of stock from the previous group buy a year ago :rolleyes:

If anyone is thinking about it, let me know otherwise I guess we'll just cancel the idea.

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
19th November 2010, 10:58 AM
I would be interested if it still goes ahead.
Maybe you need to post a link in the normal pen turning section.

Ozkaban
19th November 2010, 11:01 AM
I would be interested if it still goes ahead.
Maybe you need to post a link in the normal pen turning section.

thanks Rum Pig. Good idea - didn't know if that would violate forums protocol :rolleyes:

Rum Pig
19th November 2010, 11:03 AM
I think as long as it is only showing people that there is a worthy thread to look at and not the group buy thread itself you should be OK:2tsup:
If not I'm sure the Mods will let you know:;

Ironwood
19th November 2010, 01:13 PM
I would probably be interested in getting a few bits and pieces

PenTurner
19th November 2010, 02:48 PM
There is also a possibilty I may get something. Amos:)

maddog 62
20th November 2010, 09:51 PM
count me in
cheers Tony :)

Ironwood
28th November 2010, 05:30 PM
Is this still going ahead Dave ?

If so, when do you need my list of bits by ?

Ozkaban
29th November 2010, 08:03 AM
Hi All,

Sorry it's been a bit quiet. Yup, still going ahead. I am finalising my wish-list now, and will post it in the next day or so.

If people can post/email to me their orders by tomorrow afternoon, I'll get a quote for the total cost including shipping and let you know what it will all cost. We can aim to finalise it by the end of this week.

If you'd like more time, let me know.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
29th November 2010, 08:38 AM
Hi,

I'm looking at getting:

2 x Carbon Fiber Baron/Rinehart Pen Blank
4 x Cav's Uni Pink Polyresin
1 x Chocolat PR Ink Cartridges
1 x Arabian Rose PR Ink Cartridges
1 x Fiesta Red PR Ink Cartridges
1 x Electric DC Blue PR Ink Cartridges
1 x Midnight Blues Bottled Ink
5 x Long Converters-Each
10 x Easy Flow 9000 BP Refills/B Black
2 x Burnt Copper Polyresin
2 x Razor Kit (man I wish these came in the Mach-5, not the older 3 blade ones :rolleyes: )

I may add a few others along the way...

Cheers,
Dave

PenTurner
29th November 2010, 10:17 PM
I would like 3 Burnt Copper blanks
3 Transparent Golden Amber
thanks Amos:)

Ironwood
30th November 2010, 08:49 AM
I am thinking about a few of the steel Inheritance nibs. Are the steel ones much of an improvement over the stanard nib in a Jr Gent 2 or Baron ?
Or do you need the gold ones to get the big improvement ?

Ozkaban
30th November 2010, 09:47 AM
I am thinking about a few of the steel Inheritance nibs. Are the steel ones much of an improvement over the stanard nib in a Jr Gent 2 or Baron ?
Or do you need the gold ones to get the big improvement ?
Hi,

Short answer - yes thay are superioir. I bought a bunch in the last group buy and routinely swap out the standard nibs for them. Reminds me to buy a few more, actually :D

I've found a sizeable improvement in writeability with the Private Reserve Ink/Herticance nib over the standard nib/std ink.

I don't know about the gold ones, My bet is they are better, but for 10x the price...

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
2nd December 2010, 07:37 AM
Hi,

If anyone is thinking about this, now is the time to post your order... I don't think we've really hit the critical mass needed to make a group by work (ie, the savings on combined postage offsetting the local postage costs).

I'll leave it up until the end of this weekend to see if there's any more orders floating out there. If not, I may have to cancel it.

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
2nd December 2010, 10:59 AM
OK here is my list and it may grow just waiting on a sale to go throw.
2 x BEB blanks
3 x Camphor burl blanks
2 x spalted Hackberry blanks
5 x private ink cartridge packs
3 x private ink bottles
That should keep me happy.........for now:D

Ozkaban
2nd December 2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks RP.

I went and had a look at the spalted hackberry blanks - they look amazing... should be fun :D

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
2nd December 2010, 02:28 PM
I have bought some before and they look as good as the BEB but I think the name is better and more interest catching when you tell someone what the timber is.
Here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f69/cambridge-spalted-hackberry-112137/) is the pen I made with some spalted hackberry.

Ozkaban
3rd December 2010, 09:45 AM
Sweet looking pen, RP. I assume that BEB is Buckeye Burl?

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
3rd December 2010, 11:37 AM
Yep BEB is Buckeye burl:2tsup:

Ironwood
4th December 2010, 06:00 PM
Well here's my belated order.

1 x pack private reserve ink cartridges (velvet black)
4 x Heritance 1sf steel nibs (small)
3 x Bethlehem Olive blanks
1 x Burnt copper polyresin blank
1 x Avocado polyresin blank

I have kept my order small as I am not selling many pens lately.
Hopefully there's enough all up to make the buy worth it.

Ozkaban
6th December 2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the orders all.

I've submitted a request for a quote from Ed, so hopefully this will be coming in the next day or so.

Could people PM/email me their contact details, and I will send individual quotes to each of you, including local shipping.

A couple of points. First, the Buck-Eye burl is only available in 2 1/2 inch lengths. Is this ok RP? I've also assumed the Hackberry blanks are diagonal cut, not cross cut. If you're after specific colours for the ink bottles as well, the availability looks pretty low, so let me know fairly soon.

Any changes/additions/extra orders shouldn't be a problem at this point, but will need to be finalised soon.

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
6th December 2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks Dave I will send a PM once I work out how long 2 1/2 inches is in mm:D:D

Ozkaban
6th December 2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks Dave I will send a PM once I work out how long 2 1/2 inches is in mm:D:D

It would be a smidge over 60mm - a Sierra blank.

Cheers,
Dave

NewLondon88
7th December 2010, 09:33 AM
I just hung up with Dawn at Exotics and she told me about the group buy. I don't
normally read group buy threads here, as the shipping would be killer! :p

But she said I should mention that she's now stocking the Resinsaver molds, and since
they'll be shipping via Flat Rate box anyway, it would be a good way to save on the
shipping charges.. fill up that box!

I know some people have told me they'd wait on molds till there was a group buy, due
to shipping costs. So .. this works out well, as she's got every mold right there on the
shelf. (as compared to me .. I just make them to order)

So .. just an FYI

Sawdust Maker
7th December 2010, 10:52 AM
Charlie

Now that's just dandy :~

I was staying away from this group buy as I wasn't really needing anything
Now I spose I don't need a resin saver mold but I was only thinking of getting one the other day :doh:
So put me down for the
SWEB
CIGAR
BNST

Thanks

Ozkaban
7th December 2010, 11:01 AM
Charlie

Now that's just dandy :~

Now I spose I don't need a resin saver mold but I was only thinking of getting one the other day :doh:
So put me down for the
SWEB
CIGAR
BNST

Thanks

Mornin' Nick. Wondered when you'd be along. Since when does *need* come into it :D:D:D

Just confirming, 3 Resin Saver molds?

Cheers,
Dave

NewLondon88
7th December 2010, 01:16 PM

ah.. but think of all the neat new stuff you'll be able to do. Dawn sent me some of
the 'castoffs' from the laser inlay blanks.. these are the stabilized blanks that they
cut the 'parts' out of .. so I cast some of those in the ResinSaver with fluorescent
powder.. looked pretty neat! (they have 10 packs of those, too)

Sawdust Maker
8th December 2010, 08:36 AM
ah.. but think of all the neat new stuff you'll be able to do. Dawn sent me some of
the 'castoffs' from the laser inlay blanks.. these are the stabilized blanks that they
cut the 'parts' out of .. so I cast some of those in the ResinSaver with fluorescent
powder.. looked pretty neat! (they have 10 packs of those, too)

behind me satan :q

Sawdust Maker
8th December 2010, 08:37 AM
Mornin' Nick. Wondered when you'd be along. Since when does *need* come into it :D:D:D

Just confirming, 3 Resin Saver molds?

Cheers,
Dave

yep 3
baron, cigar and sierra

"Need" is a bit like "I could really use some of those"

NewLondon88
8th December 2010, 11:10 AM
behind me satan :q

HA!!!! :p

Ozkaban
9th December 2010, 07:30 AM
Quick update - a list of christmas goodies items we'd like has been sent to santa Ed, and he'll get back to us soon with the quote. Will let you know once it arrives :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
12th December 2010, 09:13 AM
HA!!!! :p

should have used this smilie
:dev:

Ozkaban
15th December 2010, 07:12 AM
Hi All,

Ed has come back top me with a quote. He's done pretty well on the pricing, and even discounted the postage a bit, which is fantastic.

I am the process of sorting out individual quotes (should have it done by this afternoon). If you haven't done so already, could you please PM me your postal address and email, so I can send you a spreadsheet with your order details.

Once we're happy with that, I'll need you to transfer payment to me to confirm the order and I'll pay Ed. Then we sit tight and wait for christmas goodies to arrive :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
16th December 2010, 08:28 AM
Hi,

I've sent the orders out to Rum Pig and Sawdust Maker. I still need contact details (or email address) for ironwood (email only required) and Woodenink. I'll send PM's directly.

Cheers,
Dave

Ironwood
16th December 2010, 09:05 AM
Hi,

I've sent the orders out to Rum Pig and Sawdust Maker. I still need contact details (or email address) for ironwood (email only required) and Woodenink. I'll send PM's directly.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave,
I PM'ed my address details a while ago, do you need my Email as well ?

Ozkaban
16th December 2010, 09:58 AM
Hi Dave,
I PM'ed my address details a while ago, do you need my Email as well ?

Hi Ironwood,

I only needed it to be able to send you the quote as an attachment. If you're ok with the text in the PM, then I'm happy without it.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
21st December 2010, 09:21 AM
Sorry for the delay folks. I'm waiting on Exotic Blanks to pack the order and give a final shipping amount (which should be very similar to the budgeted amount) before I send payment and they post the goodies. I'm expecting to hear very soon.

thanks all for the prompt payments too.

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
21st December 2010, 11:22 AM
I'm happy to wait as not much shed time coming my way at the moment:C

Thank you Dave for organising this and spending your time so we can have more toys to play with:2tsup::2tsup:

Ozkaban
23rd December 2010, 08:23 AM
No worries. I wanted a bunch of stuff from there and any effort I put in reduces the shipping cost :2tsup: Thanks to all for your support.

I've had word from Ed that they're almost done packing the box. Should be shipped on 27th. Dunno how long it will take from there, but it's after the christmas rush so it shouldn't be too long.

Cheers,
Dave

Ironwood
23rd December 2010, 08:37 AM
All sounds good.

I'm in no great hurry, been too busy lately to make any pens anyway.
Except for 2 comissions for Christmas.
So by the time it gets here, I might be able to get a bit of time in the shed, fingers crossed.

Ironwood
23rd December 2010, 03:34 PM
Well after writing that last post, I have sold 5 pens out of my display stock. One guy bought 3, he drove 200 km's to come to my shop after a workmate of his, told him about my pens. ( I should have used the main "post reply" instead of "quick reply" so I could insert a smiley here)

I was thinking that I wouldnt need to make anymore for a while. Now looks like I'll have to find time to fill the gaps.

Ozkaban
28th December 2010, 10:05 AM
Hi All,

Had an update from Ed. All packed apart from one pesky little box of cartridges which are out of stock. Will be in stock on the 29th, so it will be shipped on that date which I think isn't too bad.

Hopefully we'll see our goodies soon :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
10th January 2011, 07:21 AM
Quick Update. Haven't heard anything for a bit, so I've asked for an update. Xmas/New Year period is always a bit tricky. I've just returned to work this morning, so I'll chase this up and let you know.

Sorry for the delay.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
10th January 2011, 03:44 PM
Hi All,

Ed has send me the final details, and I've checked it all off and paid... Now we just wait for the stuff to arrive. Good to have the order finalised, and sorry it's taken a bit longer than expected. That will teach me to organise these things over christmas!!!

Cheers,
Dave

Ironwood
10th January 2011, 07:02 PM
OK by me Dave.

When it arrives it arrives.

Looking forward to getting it though.

Rum Pig
12th January 2011, 09:28 AM
Hi All,

Ed has send me the final details, and I've checked it all off and paid... Now we just wait for the stuff to arrive. Good to have the order finalised, and sorry it's taken a bit longer than expected. That will teach me to organise these things over christmas!!!

Cheers,
Dave
What else would you have been doing? Sitting around drinking and being merry:doh::D

Ozkaban
16th January 2011, 11:02 AM
OK, at long last we have this from the USPS website:

Your item left the United States from ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) at 1:17 pm on January 15, 2011. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Wahoo! Goodies on their way. Once I get them, they will be posted to all of you very patient people pronto!

Cheers,
Dave

Ironwood
16th January 2011, 11:25 AM
:2tsup:

Ozkaban
24th January 2011, 08:39 PM
Hi guys,

No news I'm afraid... I keep watching out for the airmail slip, but it's rather stubbornly not showing up..

Any news will be passed on pronto.

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
24th January 2011, 08:47 PM
maybe sometime this week

what did I order again? :rolleyes:

Ozkaban
25th January 2011, 07:46 AM
Wahoo!

My side just called and the box has landed on my doorstep :2tsup:

I'll try and get them out today after work or at lunch tomorrow.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
27th January 2011, 12:36 PM
Hi All,

Parcels have been posted to Rumpig, Ironwood and Woodenink. I'll get Sawdust Makers parcel to him on Saturday.

If there's a couple of lesons to be learnt from doing these group buys they would be:
- Make sure you know what the postage will be worth
- Make sure you know what the *local* postage will be worth
- Be careful with the exchange rates!

In the end, I think I might have *just* come out square - local postage was quite a bit more expensive than anticipated. Ed and Dawn were fantastic to deal with and even picked up a share of the international postage which made a huge difference. Highly recommended site :2tsup:

Thanks for your support guys. Please let me know when you receive your parcels safely.

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
28th January 2011, 01:04 PM
Thank you for your time and effort it is much appreciated.
If you find yourself short please let me know and I will be happy to help make the difference for you.:2tsup:

Ironwood
31st January 2011, 12:09 PM
Package has arrived this morning :2tsup: Thanks Dave, your bloods worth bottling:2tsup:.

Some very nice goodies inside:), now all I can do for the next month is look at them until my finger lets me back in the shed :doh:

Ozkaban
31st January 2011, 01:15 PM
Glad to hear it's all arrived safely, Ironwood.

Hope you heal nice and quick.

Cheers,
Dave

PenTurner
31st January 2011, 03:31 PM
Received mine Dave, thanks, Amos:2tsup::)

Rum Pig
1st February 2011, 09:30 AM
Mine is here now just to get motivated about pens again:-
Can I call this writers block:rolleyes: