PDA

View Full Version : Shop made sliding mitre gauge

ArianAgain
2nd November 2004, 04:32 PM
I had my heart set on the Osborne3 but couldn't justify the cost so I made this one. It slides when the two wingnuts are loosened, and the stop slides when the wing nut atop the stop is loosened. The timber is poplar and the track is aluminium. Hope it helps anyone considering something similar.

routermaniac
2nd November 2004, 06:51 PM
I like it, I might try to adapt it to the triton bech. Well done.

routermaniac

ArianAgain
4th November 2004, 03:32 PM
Heres a couple more pictures - incase anyone is interested :o

I added the measuring tape to the top. I thought the tape may help when I'm adjusting the stop to achieve an exact length. Also, the adhesive backed sandpaper is an idea I lifted from the commercial products. It really holds the work piece in place.

vsquizz
7th November 2004, 04:36 PM
Excellent stuff. But how did you get the photos to be 100 x 75 pixels but be so big. I can get full screen ???

Cheers

Trent The Thief
8th November 2004, 10:48 PM
That's a very piece, there! Great inspiration.

ArianAgain
11th November 2004, 04:09 PM
Squizzy,

I took the picture with my digital camera then scaled it back with some image software on my computer (the image software is GIMP - runs on Linux). Its nice in that you can specify the file size as this forum wisely limits me to 100K.

Cheers,

Arian

markharrison
7th December 2004, 11:04 PM
There's also a version of Gimp that runs on Windows as well but its development does trail behind the Linux version. I'm sure you really wanted to know that... Perhaps... :-)

CHJ
8th December 2004, 02:31 AM
Excellent stuff. But how did you get the photos to be 100 x 75 pixels but be so big. I can get full screen ???

Cheers
Sorry to but in, but Irfanview (free) for windows is also very flexable for picture/file sizing/converting etc.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Chas

Bob Willson
8th December 2004, 05:12 AM
Squizzy, I'm suprised at you. Surely you know the difference between a thumbnail and a full size picture.
The full size one is 2048*1536, the thumbnail (100*75) is supplied by the BB software

derekcohen
8th December 2004, 08:57 PM
I thought that I might share a method that I have "discovered" that enables me to resize pictures more easily for uploading to this site. I'm sure that this is not news to most of you, but it may be helpful to those moderately-challenged individuals like myself. I recall that this topic comes up every now-and-then. Hey - just remember - I'm far from being an expert here. Just adding a non-technical solution. I'd love to hear of the methods of others.

Although I have Photoshop Elements (a cut down version of Photoshop), I was finding that I lost large amounts of detail when I reduced the file size. Pictures direct from my digital camera would become files of about 850 kb. Cropping would help, but still the detail would be lost when the picture was reduced in size.

Recently I have been opening up a blank page in Microsoft Word 2000, then inserting the picture(s) in question. This is then saved as a .htm or .html document. The pictures so inbedded are saved separately on the computer (they are associated with the file). Typically, a 850 kb picture reduces to about 16 kb. Importantly, it retains all the original detail. You can manipulate the picture to be larger or smaller, so getting it close to the 100 kb limit (although I aim for about 70-80 kb).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bruce Micheal
9th December 2004, 05:31 PM
Arian
I like the mitre sled.
Is that also an Aussie Triton Router bench in the back ground? :)

silentC
10th December 2004, 08:31 AM
When you are working with images to be displayed on a monitor, the only thing that matters is the number of pixels. Each pixel in your image is displayed as a pixel on the screen. The more pixels, the bigger the image appears. This is converse to the situation when you print, because printers can work with different resolutions (DPI) - increase the DPI and the image appears smaller but less grainy.

Statistically speaking, you are probably viewing this on a screen resolution of 800 x 600 pixels. This means that for an image to fit within the screen, it needs to be less than 800 pixels wide by 600 pixels high. As a general rule of thumb, I go for something around 600 pixels wide.

When you reduce an image size, you are asking the software to make some assumptions about what to do to achieve this. If you are decreasing the overall dimensions by 50%, then for every 'square' of 4 pixels in your image, you are asking the software to produce one. If all four pixels are the same colour, this is easy. If they are all different, then it is harder. Packages like Photoshop have one or more built in formulas for working out what colour each pixel should be in the reduced image. The one you select will determine how good the reduced image looks.

The second factor in the quality of the image is the compression method you use. Most commonly, you will be working with JPGs. JPEG is a 'lossy' compression method, which means that image detail is sacrificed for image size. The higher the level of compression, the more detail is lost from the image. You can control this when saving a JPEG by setting the image 'quality' - the higher the quality, the lower the level of compression and hence the larger the file size.

So, the end result is a compromise between image size, file size and image quality. To retain detail but have a small file size, you need to go for a small image size. To have a larger image on screen but a small file size, you need higher compression, and thus you sacrifice image quality. There is no silver bullet but experimentation with the different compression opitons in your image software will help find a balance between these three parameters.

I suspect that the built in routines in Word are achieving a reasonable result for Derek by selecting a mid-point in the level of compression. You can therefore control the size of the file by adjusting the size of the image on screen, with all other things being held equal.

For line drawings and CAD diagrams, it is usually best to save as a GIF, which often yields a smaller file size and a more consistent result than JPG because of the way it handles colour information. Photographs are rarely better as a GIF.

ArianAgain
16th December 2004, 03:01 PM
It certainly is Bruce. Both the triton router and router table were brought over in my luggage. The triton tools are also available from busybeetools.com here in Canada (I ordered the triton router templates recently). Great tools at a reasonable price!

Arian
I like the mitre sled.
Is that also an Aussie Triton Router bench in the back ground? :)