PDA

View Full Version : some small bits

cultana
12th November 2010, 09:54 PM
I thought I would try my new Oland tools out and see how they go.
These are a few of the bigger pieces.
(Since it was hinted that being a novice turner one had to do serious things I thought I might try. :rolleyes:)

1. Goblet, (useable size). Made form Schinus areira, (Pepper Tree) there is still small sections of the bark on it. Finished with poly with Tung oil.

2a & 2b. Odd box thing. This is made form Acacia. Not too sure of the specific variety. Finished with Ploy and Tung oil.

3a & 3b. A natural edge bowl made from Schinus areira, (Pepper Tree). Keeping the bark on was a bit of a touch and go exercise as it tends to flake easily. I was going to leave the bark natural but to make sure it stayed in place I ended up finishing it all in poly.

4a & 4b. Small bowl made form semi green Eucalyptus spathulata. The walls were kept thick to help prevent warping as it dries out. Finished with poly with Tung oil

5. Piece of an exercise. It is Eucalyptus but I am not too sure which one. The piece has some signs of drying cracking so I thought it might be interesting to see the end result. It came from a tree that died at least 9 month ago but was reasonable wet inside.
The drying cracks opened a bit while it was being turned as well as becoming slightly oval. After leaving the finished bowl for a few days I got this, a somewhat tortured appearance.
Unfortunately I could not get a good picture of the bowl edge as it took on a sort of rope like appearance.

Small pieces to follow.:D

cultana
13th November 2010, 02:43 AM
two small boxes of sorts:

6a & 6b. Small oyster box, 25mm diam made from Eucalyptus spathulata.

7a & 7b Small round box, 25mm diam made from some unknown timber.

Alessandro Erpi
13th November 2010, 07:18 AM
What a beautifull production!!
I like.....I don't know what I like,they are all wonderfull!!
Can you show me your Oland tools?
Thank you!!

artme
13th November 2010, 07:18 AM
Well the tools work mate!! Well done!!:):):)

Christos
13th November 2010, 02:56 PM
You have made some very nice pieces there and only just mucking around.

cultana
18th November 2010, 03:55 PM
Alessandro, here are some pics of the tips I use with the two Oland tools.
The 1/4" tips seem to alter per bit of work. One end has a point the other end is more for scraping inside of endgrained boxes to clean up a straight side.

hughie
18th November 2010, 05:08 PM
Well done.:2tsup: bowls and tips to boot

Alessandro Erpi
19th November 2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks a lot for you kindness!!!:):)
Well done.
It will be very usefull for me!!!