PDA

View Full Version : My finger

Nai84
13th November 2010, 05:38 PM
Hey Everyone

just to letting you all know that it will be a while before i will be able to turn :bawl: as I have taken top of my finger off and about 3 mm of the bone as well I had surgery last night and has been fixed for now but I will be going back to have the final bit of surgery later I will post some pics later:((:doh::((:doh:

Ian

stuffy
13th November 2010, 06:08 PM
:oo:
Bet that gave you a fright!
How did you manage to do a silly thing like that?
Hope it doesn't hurt too much and you'll be back at the lathe real soon.

Best wishes
Steve

wheelinround
13th November 2010, 06:29 PM
Ian sorry to hear that hope it has not put you off turning :no:

As above how did it happen??

Nai84
13th November 2010, 06:32 PM
Hey stuffy

I did it with a roll of lead that is bout 15 kg as i went to move it off the trolley i sang it and my finger hit the dexion and bye bye finger tip :doh::doh: I hope can get back soon coz i am gonna go thourgh withdrawls :doh:

Ian

HazzaB
13th November 2010, 06:44 PM
Hey Nai,

I hope you get better soon, :2tsup:, you can still read about turning and get some design ideas from the Magazines at the Doctors, while you are waiting-waiting and waiting.

Looking forward to the Pics:o

HazzaB

Sawdust Maker
13th November 2010, 07:16 PM
Ouch

hope you have a speedy recovery
Time to hit the local library for all those woodturning books

stuffy
13th November 2010, 07:50 PM
:bandaid:
:stretcher:
:wounded1:

Compo!!!

:p

KevM
13th November 2010, 08:20 PM
Buggar, that will slow you down for a while. All the best for a speedy recovery.

cheers

Kev

BobL
13th November 2010, 09:15 PM
From a FFIS (Fellow Finger Injury Sufferer) full sympathies.

munruben
13th November 2010, 09:19 PM
Sorry to hear that mate, hope you recover quickly.

thumb trimmer
13th November 2010, 09:19 PM
... hope you get better soon

... but as HazzaB and Sawdusty have said ... 'tis a great opportunity to get in some reading

Nai84
13th November 2010, 09:34 PM
Ian sorry to hear that hope it has not put you off turning :no:

As above how did it happen??

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the kind words its much appreciated :B and just to make it clear it was done at work buy a roll of lead:o not buy the lathe and even if lathe had of done it I would still go to my lathe and crank it up:2tsup: attached are the pics of my finger but be warn it is not for the faint hearted :o:o:o

Ian

lynda
13th November 2010, 09:43 PM
Yes the photos are grooooooose, hope you are recovering.:;

Nai84
13th November 2010, 09:53 PM
they are and all is good i had surgery last night so this the first day home i have lots of good drugs:rotfl: happy times

Ian

dai sensei
13th November 2010, 10:48 PM
:o:o:o

All the best with the healing

cultana
14th November 2010, 12:17 AM
they are and all is good i had surgery last night so this the first day home i have lots of good drugs:rotfl: happy times

Ian

Hope you recover. Pics don't look too good. I hope those drugs are not too heavy on the "happy" type.

While recovering read a few turning books. Won't help the withdraw symptoms but just make you want to get back to the lathe.

Good luck.

Nai84
14th November 2010, 12:28 AM
thanks guys I plan on taking it easy and reading up on some stuff:2tsup: your word are very kind and supportive

Ian

cultana
14th November 2010, 12:31 AM
Ian, just remember the longer you are off that lathe the worse those withdrawal symptoms will get. You have a bad case of woodturnousitus.

Cheers.

mkypenturner
14th November 2010, 12:43 AM
hope your back on the lathe soon

Evan Pavlidis
14th November 2010, 04:03 AM
Ian, get well soon mate and take small steps at a time. I know I've been there and currently undergoing therapy. :)

Cheers, Evan

rsser
14th November 2010, 09:14 AM
When you go back for the next op ask the surgeon to implant a hex key to make chuck tightening easier ;-}

Evan, best wishes for your recovery. Did it happen at the lathe?

Nai84
14th November 2010, 11:05 AM
Hey Guys

Thanks for all your kind words and support it means heaps to me :B. rsser thats a good idea i might just ask him :laughing1:and it happened at work not at lathe :o

Ian

oldiephred
14th November 2010, 11:09 AM
Did a similar thing on the table saw. As you know, that finger will be a "magnet" for everything you walk by or come within arms reach of. Lots of cursing ahead. Hope it is not your "main" hand.:doh::doh:
Take very good care of that!!

Nai84
14th November 2010, 11:41 AM
Did a similar thing on the table saw. As you know, that finger will be a "magnet" for everything you walk by or come within arms reach of. Lots of cursing ahead. Hope it is not your "main" hand.:doh::doh:
Take very good care of that!!

Hey oldiephred

No its not my main hand thank god:hpydans2:well so far so good it was a bit painfull last night but it seems to be ok today. My finger that was injured was joined to one of my other fingers and skin graphed together to get max healing results according to the DOC so back to see him on thursday to get the dressing change and then down the track it will be back to the doc for more surgery to have the fingers seperated and maybe more skin graphs after that:C

Ian:2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
14th November 2010, 12:15 PM
Holy Moley, Ian...you did it up good :o Hope you guys have workman's comp in Oz.

Speedy recovery!!!

Nai84
14th November 2010, 01:33 PM
Holy Moley, Ian...you did it up good :o Hope you guys have workman's comp in Oz.

Speedy recovery!!!

Hey Ed

We do have workers comp in Oz and was even done thourgh a privrate hospital:2tsup::2tsup: and was a job well done so i keep getting told :U

Ian

Sawdust Maker
14th November 2010, 04:41 PM
Does it mean you'll never have to trim the fingernail on that one again?

even though it's not the main hand it's probably the chisel quiding hand :doh:

Evan Pavlidis
14th November 2010, 05:21 PM
When you go back for the next op ask the surgeon to implant a hex key to make chuck tightening easier ;-}

Evan, best wishes for your recovery. Did it happen at the lathe?

Thanks Ern, I'm getting better in baby steps.
The accident occured at the thickness/planer. Wasn't focused entirely on what I was doing and de-gloved and pulverised right index finger which had to be surgically terminated. Unfortunately, I will never regain full strength in right hand since there are no anchor points where tendons once were for the index digit to curl and make a fist.
Currently have hyper-sensitivity issues to overcome while nerves are growing and healing where a graft was performed to close up the area which was torn away from under the finger right down to the bone.
Therapy includes massaging and excercising several times a day to de-sensitize and for the other fingers to re-accustom to holding objects; I get phantom sensations of the full finger still there. Also have to modify how I do things; new way to hold cutlery, toothbrush, shaver (less bloody than using left hand), holding a pen and writing etc. etc.
The good news is I have a good support team of therapists who guide me along every step slowly but surely and assure me that I'll be able to function well in the long run with changes to the way I do things.

To all out there, NEVER EVER take short cuts and always remain 110% focused on what you're doing, even small tasks which you do automatically without much thought; it takes less than eye blink for an accident to change everything permanently.

See below

Oddjob1
14th November 2010, 05:40 PM
Cricky mate,

You'll have a big bandage on ya pinky know doubt, but if I know woodies you'll be back turning an stuff in a couple a days! The only thing that stopped me when I knocked the end orf me pinky with the buzzer (e does bite ya know!) was the blood was stainin the wood! You know what I mean, hey!:D

I remembers when I was 26! I'd been married for 6 years! Shuttup you lot!!:2tsup:
and she still puts up with me! So she must be mad hey!:p

Oddjob1 ....Keep smilin mate and give thanks it wasn't the other one! Or was it!

artme
14th November 2010, 05:41 PM
:o:o:o Ouch on both counts!! Hope you both heal well and quickly.

Bloody near lost a finger through stupidity a couple of weeks ago. Next time I will turn off the power and disconnect the 4" grinder before changing the blade!:oo::oo:

rsser
14th November 2010, 06:31 PM
Oh wow Evan; that's a shocker.

I hope in time that you are able to return to the lathe and do some more of the fine work that you've done in the past.

Evan Pavlidis
14th November 2010, 09:49 PM
Oh wow Evan; that's a shocker.

I hope in time that you are able to return to the lathe and do some more of the fine work that you've done in the past.

Thanks mate, it's going to take some time before I'll be able to take up anything wood and tools again. It's incredibly frustrating that such an accident sets you back so much; the mind wants to go go go, but the body doesn't allow due to lack of strength and nerve sensitivity. All I can do is browse other peoples work on the web and think of designs or shapes or forms but not do. Many words come to mind, but I better not post them here :oo::oo:

Cheers, Evan :)

Nai84
14th November 2010, 09:52 PM
Hey Evan Pavlidis

Wow that looks like it would of hurt 10 time more then mine and makes mine look like a scratch :doh: but I wish you all the best in your recover and you returning to the lathe to have some fun soon :2tsup::2tsup:

Ian

Evan Pavlidis
14th November 2010, 10:11 PM
Hey Evan Pavlidis

Wow that looks like it would of hurt 10 time more then mine and makes mine look like a scratch :doh: but I wish you all the best in your recover and you returning to the lathe to have some fun soon :2tsup::2tsup:

Ian

Thanks mate. Initially it didn't hurt any more than a slight bump; but 2 minutes later all hell broke loose, big time. Can't compare one injury to another, they're all different but pain is pain and is the biggest obstacle. Everyone stay alert and focused 100% when using any machinery; I cannot emphasize more.

Nai84
14th November 2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks mate. Initially it didn't hurt any more than a slight bump; but 2 minutes later all hell broke loose, big time. Can't compare one injury to another, they're all different but pain is pain and is the biggest obstacle. Everyone stay alert and focused 100% when using any machinery; I cannot emphasize more.

Here here I agree mine just happened to be a roll of lead that weighed 15 kg that took the top of mine off :doh:
Ian

nalmo
14th November 2010, 10:48 PM
Hey guys, hope you have a speedy recovery and not too much pain. In the meantime, the least I could do would be to offer to make a wooden replacement.

Nai84
14th November 2010, 11:27 PM
Hey guys, hope you have a speedy recovery and not too much pain. In the meantime, the least I could do would be to offer to make a wooden replacement.

Hey nalmo

LOL :rofl:I will measure it up and let you know the size and what type of wood and finish I would like :rofl::rotfl: CHEERS

Ian

The Bleeder
15th November 2010, 07:55 AM
Ian,

Wow, a roll of lead......get better soon...BTW physios are another breed..

This one was 8 years ago...

Sorry Wendy

Nai84
15th November 2010, 10:10 AM
Hey Wendy

Wow that looks like it would of hurt heaps more they mine:o what happen to your finger for it to get like that:?

Ian

The Bleeder
15th November 2010, 10:37 AM
Ian,

That's what a tablesaw does in a split second. That photo was taken by the physios 4 days after the op.

No it didn't hurt as much as you would think as it took out all the nerves. The physios caused more pain........their quote 'It's not your job to cause yourself pain...that's ours'.

It was my avatar but Wendy 'RufflyRustic' asked for me to change it.

So now it's the one of the X-ray showing the Titanium pins holding it together.

NeilS
15th November 2010, 01:10 PM
Big ouches!

Best wishes to the recovering.

Glad to hear that it hasn't hit the hip pockets as well.

Thanks for the timely reminder... 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, 10... yep, all still there, for now...:rolleyes:

Nai84
15th November 2010, 01:28 PM
Big ouches!

Best wishes to the recovering.

Glad to hear that it hasn't hit the hip pockets as well.

Thanks for the timely reminder... 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, 10... yep, all still there, for now...:rolleyes:

Wow the bleeder a tablesaw hey well it did a nice job on the finger :doh: and xray pics are cool do you still have problems with your finger :?

Hey Neils

Thanks i hope it will be a quick recovery too :2tsup: well mine will be 9 and 3/4 :D

Ian

tea lady
15th November 2010, 01:45 PM
:doh: Didn' treally need the pics of the actual invury! :feelsicknow:

Good luck on the recovery.

The Bleeder
15th November 2010, 02:10 PM
:doh: Didn' treally need the pics of the actual invury! :feelsicknow:

Good luck on the recovery.

TL,

I've got about 80 pics of mine ..... all throughout the physio. (became a case study for their lectures and forums on hand physio)

Ian,

Still got the finger (physios managed to save it). It has a double helix screw in it to hold the end of the finger on. Hurts in the cold weather, doesn't bend, nerves are stuffed in it.....other than that it still looks like a finger.

Nai84
15th November 2010, 02:30 PM
Hey TL

Well you didnt have to look at them :doh:

Hey TB

:2tsup: thats good to hear that you didnt loose it better to have it even if does cause some pain every now and then :U

Ian

Evan Pavlidis
15th November 2010, 04:57 PM
Ian,

Wow, a roll of lead......get better soon...BTW physios are another breed..

This one was 8 years ago...

Sorry Wendy

That's not good at all; after seeing your pic I had a flashback of my injury from a few months ago, but I've learnt to handle the situation from the therapy team.
How is it now? can you use it effectively after 8 years? Hope you don't get any pins and needles sensations when you touch anything.

Cheers, Evan

Nai84
16th November 2010, 10:51 PM
Well my finger is itchy as hell and I have been told thats agood sign :2tsup: so hopefully all the sracthing I have done today has paid off :D I am going to see the plastic surgeon on thursday so I should know more then on whats going to happen with my finger:2tsup:

Ian

The Bleeder
17th November 2010, 07:52 AM
Evan,

No I don't get pins and needles, it's more like electric shocks.

It's just a finger now, I can point at things, can be used for the 'up yours' gesture and that's it. It has screw in it to hold the end of the finger on. So now it doesn't bend at all but I get by. Tried to go back and play cricket (I usually field at 2nd slip) ...lasted 1 season and retired.

Yes Ian, mine gets itchy too...sometimes real itchy. I have a neoprene sleeve thats on nearly all the time to help in de-sensitising the nerves. It also helps keep it warm in winter. Don't have much circulation in it.

Usually end up gluing the sleeve to something I making. Go through a few of them a year.

Nai84
17th November 2010, 01:00 PM
Well I am glad to hear that you are back to semi normal life I just cant wait to get back to the lathe and make some mess:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ian

The Bleeder
17th November 2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks Ian. My life is now about as abnormal as everyone elses. I was out of the shed for about 18 months. (Had to have a second op to straighten the tip and have it screwed on).

When I got back into the shed just had to adjust and refine things to accommodate for the injury. Especially around the tablesaw.

ticklingmedusa
17th November 2010, 02:36 PM
My brother has a finger like that.
He says it works better for counting when fractions are involved. :oo:

Nai84
17th November 2010, 03:20 PM
Hey TB

18 months :oo: wow thats a long time to be out of action I bet you are glad to be back in action and on the go again :D well I hope I am not out of action for two long I will know more tomorrow when I see the surgeon. I think I would strugle to keep myself sane if was for too long as I am a very active preson.:2tsup:

Ian

rsser
17th November 2010, 03:27 PM
My brother has a finger like that.
He says it works better for counting when fractions are involved. :oo:

:rotfl:

Good luck all with your continued recovery.

FWIW after I broke my wrist I learned to do a lot with the other hand.

Groggy
17th November 2010, 03:33 PM
FWIW after I broke my wrist I learned to do a lot with the other hand.:scareboo:

rod1949
17th November 2010, 03:37 PM
As BobL has said from a fellow FFIS get well soon:2tsup:

rsser
17th November 2010, 05:20 PM
:scareboo:

Among friends I'm happy to admit there were real probs with the hand screw.

But with a bit of fiddling I could get one handle clamped between elbow and hip and tighten the other with the good hand.

Hand screw (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12286)

Nai84
17th November 2010, 06:18 PM
Hey guys thakyou for the support :D:D:D

Ian

Nai84
18th November 2010, 11:51 PM
Hey Everyone

well I have see the surgeon and I have my fingers seperated on 25/11/2010 next thursday :U:U:U so I dont how long it will be before I am back at lathe making some curlies and messing up the shed but I am be very positive about it:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ian

woodspinner
19th November 2010, 12:34 AM
Hi Nai

Just joined rthe forum sorry to hear about your injury:o Hopeyou are on the mend now:2tsup:

Evan Pavlidis
19th November 2010, 05:05 AM
Hey Everyone

well I have see the surgeon and I have my fingers seperated on 25/11/2010 next thursday :U:U:U so I dont how long it will be before I am back at lathe making some curlies and messing up the shed but I am be very positive about it:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ian

Ian, it's a slow recovery given that sensitivity is the main hurdle to overcome, so it'll be some time before you go back to the shed. I've been out for over 4 months now and still cannot grip well. Your therapist will guide you on how to cope with your injury; you'll be massaging and touching your finger everyday to desensitize the tip and also to prevent tissue scarring.
Hope it all works out well for ya.

Cheers, Evan

The Bleeder
19th November 2010, 06:59 AM
Ian, it's basiclly what Evan has said 'recovery is slow'. You will have to make adjustments to compensate for your injury, that's the way it goes.

It wasn't that I was out of the shed for 18 months I just had the cleanest shed in history. All the tools were in the right place, cleaned and rust free. All the timber stacked and identified.

I had a lot of time to plan the projects ahead for when I got back in the shed.

Now I can't move in there. Should take a photo and put ii in the 'Show us your Shed' thread.

Best of luck with the physio and remember to obey them.....'It's no your job to cause yourself pain, that's ours'. Hang in, you'll get there.

I'll try and find a pic of my finger after all the physio finished.

wheelinround
19th November 2010, 09:00 AM
Good news Ian keep at it

Nai84
19th November 2010, 04:15 PM
Hey Evan & TB

Thanks for all the insite into this sort of injury and what to expect in the long run I know my injury is not as bad as yours TB but it may take a long time to heal as you and evan have said and I am perpered for that phsyicaly but im not sure about mentaly as I am a very active preson and I hated being unable to do things that I want to do never lone the basic things that I struggle to do buy my self with out help from my lovely wife I just hope I am able to get though it all without going insane :D:D

Ian
(thanks for everyones support)

rsser
19th November 2010, 04:35 PM
I got a lot of benefit from seeing a hand therapist; the first was an Occ'l Therapist, the 2nd a physiotherapist.

Not just the exercises and measurement of progress but also encouragement to persist with the rehab and an insight into the side effects of the injury.

Good luck with it Ian.

Nai84
19th November 2010, 05:45 PM
Hey rsser

Thanks for the support much appericated :2tsup::2tsup:

Ian

The Bleeder
19th November 2010, 08:54 PM
Ian,

This is what the finger was like after 15 months of physio and before it got straightened out.

Keep yourself busy in the shed. Tidy everything. If it needs re-arranging look at that.

As Rsser has said it's the management of the injury after it's all healed. Stay positive and you'll even find new ways of doing things if it's necessary.

Manuka Jock
19th November 2010, 09:21 PM
Hey Guys

Thanks for all the kind words its much appreciated :B and just to make it clear it was done at work buy a roll of lead:o not buy the lathe and even if lathe had of done it I would still go to my lathe and crank it up:2tsup: attached are the pics of my finger but be warn it is not for the faint hearted :o:o:o

Ian

Bloody hell mate .
Were you wearing gloves Nia ?

Nai84
20th November 2010, 02:50 AM
hey TB wow your finger looks heaps better in that photo I plan on doing just that cleaning the shed and planning some projects for down the track and doing some more reading and I found out today that when I had my surgery that they may have taken my finger of to the first join well thats what my boss told when he popped over today for a visit to see :? how I was doing. Hey manujock no I wasnt wearing gloves but even if I was I still would of done a #### load of damage Ian:doh: