PDA

View Full Version : Three boxes

Edwards
15th November 2010, 01:19 PM
Three different boxes with different pattern work.
Black box is ebony with pink ivory inlay. The fine barley corn side pattern was done using the method I explained in a recent thread.

Pink box is pink ivory. Beautiful to work but very expensive and all I had.

Other box is lemon tree wood and ebony. I like the lid pattern especially on ebony as it shows the many hi-lights.
All pattern work done using both vertical and horizontal basic cutting methods.

Cheers
Edwards :)

TTIT
22nd November 2010, 03:19 PM
Missed this 'cos I rarely think to look in here - and I think I'm not alone :;
Very nice looking boxes Edwards :2tsup: Certainly makes the difference on plain grained timber.

wheelinround
22nd November 2010, 05:42 PM
Bronte even I missed this one.

Nice work love the Ebony lid..............like them all really ut the Ebony box stands out.:2tsup:

Islander
23rd November 2010, 09:13 AM
Three different boxes with different pattern work.
Black box is ebony with pink ivory inlay. The fine barley corn side pattern was done using the method I explained in a recent thread.

Pink box is pink ivory. Beautiful to work but very expensive and all I had.

Other box is lemon tree wood and ebony. I like the lid pattern especially on ebony as it shows the many hi-lights.
All pattern work done using both vertical and horizontal basic cutting methods.

Cheers

Hi Edwards

I am itching to get started. I have a piece of ebony which I was to afraid to touch. How did you get that etching at the base? They look so good that If mine get that finish just half as good I will be happy. :2tsup:

Edwards
23rd November 2010, 11:42 AM
Hi Edwards

I am itching to get started. I have a piece of ebony which I was to afraid to touch. How did you get that etching at the base? They look so good that If mine get that finish just half as good I will be happy. :2tsup:

Hi Islander, Hope I can help a little.
Firstly refer to my thread, Barleycorn 17th Sept 2010 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f22/barleycorn-124177/) and this explains how to achieve a fine pattern and do it safely.
The pattern is cut using a rotating cutter that is adjustable for different size circles. A depth stop is needed and the indexing system on your machine ? controls the spacing of the required pattern.
If you refer to my 9th July thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f22/capitol-building-box-120276/) you will see the set up I use for this process. The cutter is shown in the photo.
Hope this helps you and Ebony is the best wood to use for a top finish.

Cheers

Edwards
23rd November 2010, 11:52 AM
Bronte even I missed this one.

Nice work love the Ebony lid..............like them all really ut the Ebony box stands out.:2tsup:

Thanks Ray,
this was my first attempt some time ago I might add, at cutting patterns onto a contoured surface. Ebony was a good choice as it shows up each corner facet really well. The end result is more than I expected from a straight forward vertical cutting process.

Cheers

wheelinround
23rd November 2010, 04:55 PM
Hi Edwards

Hi Islander am I to assume your into Ornamental Turning ?? or want to get into it??

Ray

Nai84
28th November 2010, 02:37 AM
Hey Ed WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW they are fantastic how did you do the patterns on those boxes I would love to know how and I have never looked in this part:doh: but I will be from now on :2tsup: Ian

Islander
28th November 2010, 08:58 AM
Hi Islander am I to assume your into Ornamental Turning ?? or want to get into it??

Ray

Hi Ray

Absolutely. I make pens for retail and want to get into something for myself so that I may indulge my wife in beautiful things as well as have something else to talk about except pens. I have also ordered some palm chisels for carving as I wish to decorate my lids. My wife has finally orederedf a jewellery box from me with drawers to lay her necklaces out. So the job starts as I have never made such fine woodwork. I need to get a dovetail jig first which will take some time as funds elude me at the moment. So it will be interesting to see the result. I cut some 6 mm planks yesterday sending them through the thicknesser and planer but the buggers warped so will have to make them thicker. The wood was nice and dry as I am using kwila decking. So next try will be on Monday. I will incorporate turning as well as I will need something cylindrical for bangels and other gadgets woman hang on to themselves.

So I am hoping to hone my skills bringing a few types of fine timber working together.

Take care

Rog

wheelinround
28th November 2010, 10:09 AM
Hi Ray

Absolutely. I make pens for retail and want to get into something for myself so that I may indulge my wife in beautiful things as well as have something else to talk about except pens. I have also ordered some palm chisels for carving as I wish to decorate my lids. My wife has finally orederedf a jewellery box from me with drawers to lay her necklaces out. So the job starts as I have never made such fine woodwork. I need to get a dovetail jig first which will take some time as funds elude me at the moment. So it will be interesting to see the result. I cut some 6 mm planks yesterday sending them through the thicknesser and planer but the buggers warped so will have to make them thicker. The wood was nice and dry as I am using kwila decking. So next try will be on Monday. I will incorporate turning as well as I will need something cylindrical for bangels and other gadgets woman hang on to themselves.

So I am hoping to hone my skills bringing a few types of fine timber working together.

Take care

Rog

Hi Islander

The boxes Edwards has done are not hand carved :no: but Ornamental Turned by machines etc.
If interested have a look at the OTGA (http://www.pnc.com.au/%7Ek_j/otga/) website as your in Brisbane contact Les Stennett

QUEENLAND
LES STENNETT
3 GLENLYN STREET
WYNNUM WEST QLD 4178
TEL 07 3285 4576.
[email protected]

Edwards
28th November 2010, 11:58 AM
Hey Ed WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW they are fantastic how did you do the patterns on those boxes I would love to know how and I have never looked in this part:doh: but I will be from now on :2tsup: Ian

Thanks for your interest and comments. This pattern work is done by Ornamental Turning on a special machine incorporation with a wood lathe. One of my earlier threads shows photos of my machine which might help you understand.
Check out the post from wheelinaround on this thread and look up the OTGA web site as this will provide further info.

Cheers

Nai84
28th November 2010, 02:45 PM
Hey Edward

I will do just that I might be able to read up on it while I am healing (got nothing to do) :D Thanks

Ian