PDA

View Full Version : Wood Turning shops

smidsy
3rd November 2004, 10:47 PM
Hei Guys,
Hoping to buy a chuck in the next week or so, probably a VM100.
Anyone know any tool shops apart from Carbatec that are online - Carbatec have been great but with cash tight I need to compare prices.
Cheers
Paul

Jim Carroll
4th November 2004, 08:04 AM
www.cws.au.com

BigPop
4th November 2004, 08:13 AM
Paul,
As mentioned above or try GPW (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/index.html) they are also very good to deal with and very prompt service.

barnsey
4th November 2004, 02:01 PM
Paul,

I've used all those that have been recommended and am sure you could trust them, another that is closer to you is Timbecon in Perth. :)

You'll find that everyone has specials now and again - Technatool in NZ were selling their chucks cheap a while ago too so that might be a source. ;)

Let us know how you get on. :p

Jamie

Sprog
4th November 2004, 02:25 PM
Carba-Tec 9345 4522
Timbecon 9356 1653
Southside Woodturning Supplies 9314 2226
Powertools and Machinary Sales 9272 3844

smidsy
4th November 2004, 02:45 PM
Hei Barnesy,
I know of Timbecon and I tend to get small bits from them because they are about 40 minutes (on a round trip) closer than Carbatec.
Timbecon sell the Nova chuck but not the Vicmarc, although the Nova is about $50 cheaper I think I would rather spend the money once, get the best and be done with it.
I think with this post I was just curious and wanted to play devils advocate to see how Carbatecs prices compare to others. So far the places I've looked at are the same as Carbatec so I will probably go with them at this stage.
I have just closed an auction on Ebay, so as soon as I get the money for that I will go and get the chuck - at this stage I think the VM100, I prefer the T-bar operation and I think the 120 would be a bit overkill for an MC900.
Cheers
Paul

gatiep
4th November 2004, 04:14 PM
Paul,

A 120 wont be a bit over kill! It will definately be overkill on the 900. Phone them before you drive all the way to Balcatta to check stock. I have it on authority that since the chinaham chuck has hit the market with the demise of the true blue Bonham ( :mad: ) and the rediculously low prices of the Vicmarc, the Vicmarcs have been selling better than hot cakes!
You'll enjoy the vl-100............nice piece of gear.

:)

smidsy
4th November 2004, 05:02 PM
Hei Joe,
If you'd seen me fly R/C aircraft you would have seen overkill, an ASP 90 on a 45 size low wing and an 80 4 stroke on a 40 size trainer - nearly wiped out a guy with the trainer once, I called take off and he came through low thinking I'd get to the end of the strip and pull up. He needed a change of underwear after I rolled 2 inches and then lifted off vertical. For some reason that aircraft never wore out any wheels though :p

I'll give em a call and check stock before I come up, for the fun of it I may come up on the bus, I only need three buses each way from my place.

Cheers
Paul

Ruffy
4th November 2004, 08:05 PM
Paul,

You'll enjoy the vl-100............nice piece of gear.

:)

What he said and then some :D :D :D

Babytoolman
8th November 2004, 12:23 PM
Paul,
I got a Vic 120 on my 900. I thought it was a bit over the top but now aftwr 3 months of turning i now want my next lathe and i can assure you i am glad i wont have to outlay again for another chuck. If you can afford it go the 120.

Sprog
8th November 2004, 01:37 PM
Teknatool have a special on their chucks now.

smidsy
8th November 2004, 03:55 PM
Hei Guys,
I thought about the 120 but finances are tight and the extra $35 for the 120 would be a killer (hell I'm catching 3 buses to Carbatec to save the $10 it'd cost me to drive there) and I really do think that the 120 would be overkill on an MC900.
As for the nova, it may be a good chuck but I've had a long hard look and I think I would rather spend a little bit more and get the Vicmarc.
Cheers
Paul