Ed Reiss
21st November 2010, 12:53 PM
Ok guys...whats the best flavor of finish for Dead Finish:;

rsser
21st November 2010, 01:48 PM
Bleached bones is the only finish acc to one account ;-}

hughie
21st November 2010, 01:55 PM
Ed, well I have used to good effect friction polish such as Shellawax and to a lesser extent satin wipe-on-poly. A lot depends what you want in the way of gloss or not.
Have patience TTIT will be able to give a more definitive answer.:2tsup:

rsser
21st November 2010, 05:30 PM
It's a dense acacia; it may have distinct stripes which an oil finish might pop nicely, but I'll shut up and wait for The Man.

dai sensei
21st November 2010, 09:34 PM
I used Shellewax and was very pleased with result, polishes like glass :2tsup:

TTIT
21st November 2010, 10:02 PM
Dunno about 'definitive' but my preference is for oil - only takes a coat or 2 for a beautiful lustre if you have sanded to 1000# or so. Small pieces do come up great with Shellawax but the high gloss can hide some of the colour and the stripes that Ern mentioned :shrug:

Pssst! :cool: Ern, it hasn't been an acacia for years mate - re-classifed to archidendropsis basaltica - unless it's western dead-finish whose timber is not at all similar :2tsup:

Old Croc
21st November 2010, 10:17 PM
Hi Ed,
Where the hell are you getting your hands on some dead finish over there?:o
My preference is 10 coats of Rustins Danish Oil, even though I am usually a full gloss lacquer man,
regards,
Crocy.

artme
22nd November 2010, 12:33 PM
You are a fortunate young phellough to have some Dead Fnish to work with!!:):):)

I've done some pens and just used Shellax. Glorious phinish!!

rsser
22nd November 2010, 12:55 PM
Just to remind folks of what you already know of course, S/wax is good for smaller pieces and DF, the bit I have from Vern and what I've seen outback, is small. Faceplate pieces over about 10cm, rule of thumb, is not good for S/wax. Go S/wax cream if you must.

Thanks for the heads-up on class'n Vern.

What I was looking at, outback last year around The Alice, as best I know along with one or two botanists, was A. tetragonophylla. So this is the Western 'variety' of Dead Finish? And not DF at all? Sigh. I'll go back to the shed now.

Ed Reiss
22nd November 2010, 01:09 PM
Well, lots of good advice guys,,,thanks. Will bear that in mind when I do the piece...and Ern, the bones were my first thought, but the damn cat won't let me get near enough.:roll: :D

Fortunate indeed Arthur...a chunk was sent to me by one of the guys on the forum. Only hope I don't screw it up as I'm kinda out of practice - haven't turned anything for about 6 months or so...should prolly take some wip pics just in case.

rsser
22nd November 2010, 05:31 PM
Heard two stories about the origin of the common name when I was outback.

One, it was the last bush standing in a drought.

Two, in a drought it was the last bush cattle would eat.

What I saw under that name had spiky 'leaves' and I sure wouldn't nibble on them in a rush!

Take your time with it Ed. Lock the cat out ;-}

Old Croc
23rd November 2010, 08:04 AM
Well, lots of good advice guys,,,thanks. Will bear that in mind when I do the piece...and Ern, the bones were my first thought, but the damn cat won't let me get near enough.:roll: :D

Fortunate indeed Arthur...a chunk was sent to me by one of the guys on the forum. Only hope I don't screw it up as I'm kinda out of practice - haven't turned anything for about 6 months or so...should prolly take some wip pics just in case.

Ed, keep us informed on how you go, cause if you like it I may have some room in my port, and I have to go by your area next year, so you may be in luck,
regards,
Crocy.

Ed Reiss
23rd November 2010, 08:45 AM
Good deal Crocy...will be in touch:thanx2:

Ed Reiss
23rd November 2010, 08:51 AM
What I was looking at, outback last year around The Alice, as best I know along with one or two botanists, was A. tetragonophylla. So this is the Western 'variety' of Dead Finish? And not DF at all? Sigh. I'll go back to the shed now.

hmmmm...now you've got me wondering Ern (which is not too hard to do!!!).
Here's some pics of the chunk...does it look like DF? ...and, yes, I see that it's labled Dead Finish on the end :roll::D

Cliff Rogers
23rd November 2010, 09:56 AM
Looks like Dead Finish to me but it is only a small bit & it has lots of sap wood.

Cliff Rogers
23rd November 2010, 10:01 AM
This is me chopping up a dry one.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/proserpine-turnout-2010-a-123683/index3.html#post1221879

And this is me chopping up a wet one.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/proserpine-turnout-2010-a-123683/index4.html#post1221884

Ed Reiss
23rd November 2010, 01:16 PM
Looks like Dead Finish to me but it is only a small bit & it has lots of sap wood.

yep, perfect size for what I have in mind. Good to know that it is DF...thanks Cliff.

...and yea, you smoked the hell out of that chain, was it a total loss?

Cliff Rogers
23rd November 2010, 05:38 PM
...you smoked the hell out of that chain, was it a total loss?
Nuh, just the oil on it smoking.