PDA

View Full Version : Milliner's Hat Stand

dai sensei
21st November 2010, 08:10 PM
Peter (STAR on Forum) came around the other day after a favour :russian:

This sequence of events over the next few weekends is what we call scope creep in the industry :

He originally rang to say he wanted a piece of timber to make a hat stand, yeh no probs, I'm sure I'll have some old scrap you could use :rolleyes:
Came around and picked some of my Blackwood :sad1:
He suggested I show him how to turn it :think:
After starting, he left me to finish it because he had to go :doh:
I stuffed up the outside dia, so had to return it, including filling of holes with coffee grinds :-
Looked great, so he then thought a stand would look good - got any more wood of the same type that would suit :ohcrap:
Looks great, but some of the hats are floppy, so can we extend the stand a bit higher? :gaah:
Keep in mind I do have a tendency to I exaggerate :whistling2:. Sorry Peter :tongue2::U

Finished to 400 grit then a few coats of danish Oil, not my best piece, but Ok for a hat stand I guess :v: Not sure where the screw holes at the top came from, I didn't use the face plate during turning, so I must have used one in the blank's previous life and didn't see them.

Cheers

toolbagsPLUS
21st November 2010, 09:08 PM
Peter (STAR on Forum) came around the other day after a favour :russian:

Not sure where the screw holes at the top came from, I didn't use the face plate during turning, so I must have used one in the blank's previous life and didn't see them.

Cheers

Obviously the screw holes are there to hold the hats in place:doh:

Look great as well Neil, we'll have that coffee soon::U

Cheers

Steve

artme
22nd November 2010, 12:37 PM
Scope creep on a STAR Turn!!:D:D:p:p

Ed Reiss
22nd November 2010, 01:19 PM
After all that, Neil, you should just keep it also:D

Ozkaban
23rd November 2010, 07:19 AM
If he pays you for your efforts with a hat.... you'll need to make another stand :D:D:D

Looks nice. particularly like the base of the stand :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Toymaker Len
23rd November 2010, 11:33 AM
Beautiful mushroom. Now lets see you turn an oval shaped hat block.