PDA

View Full Version : Red Gum Burl Hollow Form

Swino
21st November 2010, 08:58 PM
I recently embarked on a journey with hollowed vessels and here is my latest.

The piece for this vessel was a block cut from a 90kg Red Gum Burl. The burl was dry when I got it and measured approximately 850mm in diameter.

I mounted the block initially with 35mm pin draws in a 40mm hole that I drilled in the top of the burl with a forstner bit.

I roughly shaped the outside and turned a spigot on the bottom. I remounted it and finished shaping the outside. I found that I got tear out even with sharp tools so finished it with a couple of passes from a negative rake scraper prior to sanding.

My initial plan was to remove the natural edge but decided midway to keep it and use it as a feature. I took great care in turning the lip down nice an thin and was stoked that it stayed together. This was short lived when a piece snapping off during hollowing - from compressed air :doh:. This was later successfully re-glued with the advice of Neil (Dai Sensai)

I wanted to hollow it out to an even 5mm. Midway this plan turned into approximately 5mm for the top half and 10-12mm for the lower half. It started making unhealthy noises and I had visions of it exploding and me wearing the pieces :?.

Following hollowing I remounted the piece with pressure from the tail stock to shape the foot.

I finished it with 3 coast of Kunos Oil.

Many thanks to Neil (Dai Sensai) who gave advice and took the attached photo's.

Comments and constructive criticism welcome.

Lesson's that I learnt
- Importance of sharp tools
- finishing with a negative rake scraper reduces tear out and sanding time
- I am not totally happy with the final shape and will take more care next time during shaping
- I have been given the advice to wrap vessels with voids etc. in tape to assist with holding it together during hollowing - I will certainly be doing this next time.

Finished dimensions are approx 220mm diameter and 210mm high.

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome!

dai sensei
21st November 2010, 09:22 PM
It is a very impressive piece in the flesh :cool::2tsup:

With all those hollow veins, bloody scary to me :o

TTIT
21st November 2010, 10:21 PM
Another hollow form addict in the brew eh! :2tsup: Although the final shape might not be 'classical', it certainly doesn't look that bad either :shrug: Nice work I reckon :;

mkypenturner
21st November 2010, 10:34 PM
nice form

Nai84
22nd November 2010, 12:48 AM
Hey Swino I must say very nice piece and well done and as for the forum its simply one of a kind and I like it well done mate :2tsup: Ian

rsser
22nd November 2010, 06:51 AM
Well done.

If you do wrap, use sellotape or brown packing tape as they don't stretch as readily as eg duct tape - a tip.

Ozkaban
22nd November 2010, 07:48 AM
Wow. That's really neat :2tsup: I'm glad you left the rim - it looks awesome on it :cool:

cheers,
Dave

orraloon
22nd November 2010, 09:38 AM
Looks good. I can imagine the the care taken to keep that rim from flying away.:2tsup:
Regards
John

artme
22nd November 2010, 12:18 PM
Beautifully done Swino!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

That top must have taken some courage to tackle!:):)

Ed Reiss
22nd November 2010, 01:28 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: