PDA

View Full Version : Help I have lost my mind

KnottyWood
30th November 2010, 02:00 PM
Wwell this is it I almost got so mad tonight that i threw out my Lathe and tools. Why you my be asking because it seems that right now I cant turn any thing with out it chiping or blowing up on me and I can not figure out why any help would be great.

I am deperate to get back to turning but not sure if I dare to get at it again I am very frustrated Please Please Please any help anyone can give I would be ever so greatful.

Thanks from a frustrated turner.

jimbur
30th November 2010, 02:10 PM
A huge question. Do you have any woodturning groups near you?
Cheers,
Jim

KnottyWood
30th November 2010, 02:14 PM
Not sure have not looked into that but
I will thanks

Pat
30th November 2010, 02:37 PM
First things first. What are you doing?
Anytime I have an "artistic difficulties" session, I go back to the basics. Sharpen/hone all the usual suspects, which for me is my bowl gouges, grab a small blank (4") of a softer timber and do a basic bowl. Just concentrate on rubbing the bevel and take your time.

I'm lucky that my lathe is much to heavy to move and bolted to the floor and I always seem to remember how much each gouge costs and how long it takes to get right after sustaining damage to the edge.

KnottyWood
30th November 2010, 02:42 PM
I am turning a box no problems on the out side but whebn I get to hollowing it out it all goes to hell. I have resharpeded my tools and checked every thing no movement in the lathe its like I have lost the ability to do it right so crazy.

Sprog
30th November 2010, 02:45 PM
Get back to basics, this DVD will help you.
There is also a companion book with the same title.

Woodturning: A Foundation Course DVD by Keith Rowley

Paul39
1st December 2010, 05:19 AM
Wwell this is it I almost got so mad tonight that i threw out my Lathe and tools. Why you my be asking because it seems that right now I cant turn any thing with out it chiping or blowing up on me and I can not figure out why any help would be great.

I am deperate to get back to turning but not sure if I dare to get at it again I am very frustrated Please Please Please any help anyone can give I would be ever so greatful.

Thanks from a frustrated turner.

Might I assume you have not been turning?

If so, you may have become rusty in your feel of how the tool is cutting.

Also The muscles that develop when turning 2 - 3 hours a day or longer, 5 - 6 days a week are not as strong when you come back.

If you turn a bit too long before the muscle control is there, everything goes well for the roughing and outside. When you start the inside, a little weakness or bobble, going in a bit too fast, a little lack of control of the tool, BANG.

You might take a piece of ordinary wood, of whatever size is comfortable and just play with it (turning) for 30 minutes or so. Go do something else for an hour or two, then come back to it for another 30 minutes. Leave it until the next day, experiment with the tools you use the most.

If you have a bad catch, turn everything off and leave it until the next day. If the piece is salvageable, turn off the bad part and keep going.

After a couple of days, if things are going well at the end of 30 minutes, go to 40. After several 40 minute sessions go to 50.

Sand and finish the turning. By this time you should have most of the stamina and feel for the tool.

You may not want to show what you made to anyone, but if it gets your confidence and skill back, it will have served the purpose.

Once the muscle strength is back, hours of turning in a relaxed state of mind and body will make you good, and eventually faster.

If you attempt to turn while frustrated, angry, or straining, things just keep getting worse. You might also get hurt.

Try to relax a bit and gently sneak up on the whole process.

tea lady
1st December 2010, 09:03 AM
I am turning a box no problems on the out side but whebn I get to hollowing it out it all goes to hell. I have resharpeded my tools and checked every thing no movement in the lathe its like I have lost the ability to do it right so crazy.Are you having a "doh" moment and trying to turnn "uphill" Is it an end grain box? If so you need to be hollowing from the middle to the outside! Weirdly a spindle gouge or a swept back detail gouge is best for hollowing endgrain boxes rather than a bowl gouge.! :shrug: We might need picks so we can give you more help! :) We can do pics back! :cool:

Ed Reiss
1st December 2010, 12:58 PM
First of all, welcome to the forums, KW.
What the other's said applies...if you've been away from lathe work for a period of time, getting back into the swing of things (no pun intended) might take a bit of practice and patience. Keep at it...good luck.

KnottyWood
1st December 2010, 01:29 PM
First it is great to be a part of this place what an awesome amount of information I can gleen from you all thanks and I look forward to being a part of the fun and information.

Well I have been away for some time from the lathe. So I took all of the advice to heart and Have begun to get back at it. It is amazing how much feel you lose when you are away for a bit of time but with time and affort I am getting it back so my mind is open and working again I will post some pics to show my progress. I:U:U:U

ticklingmedusa
1st December 2010, 04:01 PM
Lots of sound advice above.
This may be the best turning site on the planet.
If you are blowing up boxes during the hollowing phase
I would wonder if you are using a gouge or a scraper.
Simple adjustments might help.
Try moving the toolrest in closer to the work.
If you are scraping, the rest should be at or better slightly above center.
Less catching that way.
Also, a poorly ground tool can grab.
Check your edges.
When I start making mistakes I take some time away from
the machine.
I read and reread or watch a DVD for technical info and safety tips.
Relax & review.
Another thing that comes to mind is the material itself.
Find yourself some free, sound wood to work with...
if there is checking or pith you will have more problems.
Here is a link to a compendium of online turning videos,
might be something useful .
Woodturning Videos - Home (http://woodturningvideos.weebly.com/)

Nai84
2nd December 2010, 12:36 AM
Hey Knottywood

Sorry to hear about your trouble that you have been having like the other guys said revisit the basics and go from there are you turning green wood or seasoned and good luck :2tsup:

Ian

rsser
2nd December 2010, 06:54 PM
When learning how to ski, with the inevitable falls and 'face plants', I was taught to get up and look back at the ski tracks to determine what had gone wrong.

Same deal with turning. Your 'blowing up' will have left a tell-tale trace and you need to analyse this in order to avoid a repeat.

You may not have the skill to do this yet so post some pics of the disasters and others may be able to help you with the analysis.

Nai84
2nd December 2010, 08:55 PM
When learning how to ski, with the inevitable falls and 'face plants', I was taught to get up and look back at the ski tracks to determine what had gone wrong.

Same deal with turning. Your 'blowing up' will have left a tell-tale trace and you need to analyse this in order to avoid a repeat.

You may not have the skill to do this yet so post some pics of the disasters and others may be able to help you with the analysis.

Here Here the guys will help in pointing out what might be going wrong they have helped me out many time in the past and with all the info you get you should be able to tell what is going wrong :2tsup::2tsup:

Ian

robo hippy
3rd December 2010, 05:21 AM
A local club will be your biggest learning experience. You can see things being done, and ask questions. You will get a couple of different answers, which may be confusing at first, but you will need to experiment to find out what works for you. Most clubs have mentors who would be happy to spend time with you to help out. For me, teaching is as much fun as turning.

You may need to turn the speed down a bit. If you are having to force the tool, then there is a problem.

You will eventually find out what is going wrong, and then do a fore head slap. Gee, I should have been able to figure that out.

If you are in my area, Oregon, my shop is open most of the time.

robo hippy