PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaws - the second most used item next to a lathe?

jefferson
1st December 2010, 10:59 AM
I've finally had my bandsaw repaired. First a new switch, then a capacitor, then a motor re-wind. 3 weeks or thereabouts in limbo and it was like trying to turn with one hand!

Seriously, I couldn't survive long-term without the bandsaw - to cut circles / discs, part boxes to length etc etc. Or am I alone in all of that?

The bandsaw in question - a 19 inch Carbatec - has given maybe 8-9 years service so I probably shouldn't complain. $400 repair bill though!

tea lady
1st December 2010, 02:17 PM
:oo: Gee! Sounds like Murfy's ax! Is there anithing origianl left! I survive without and bandsaw! I just have to visit other people a ll the time! (Other people with bandsaws that is! :doh: ) Hey!:shrug: Gets me outa the house! :rolleyes::D

orraloon
1st December 2010, 02:17 PM
Have to agree the bandsaw is hard to live without. After cutting a few blanks by hand when my old bandsaw could only manage 6'' depth of cut. Nothing like painfull dead arms prompting you to get a bigger bandsaw.
Regards
John

rsser
1st December 2010, 03:53 PM
For faceplate turners you can get away with a chain-sawn blank. Cut them into octagons.

Of course you have to live with the thumping when you true them. Which I hate but if shekels are in short supply ...

Should add, if you come in from the headstock side with your bowl gouge, register first on the spindle side of the bevel, and then come across you can minimise the thumping.

jimbur
1st December 2010, 05:57 PM
Wish I had one.
Cheers,
Jim

rsser
1st December 2010, 06:08 PM
IME Jim they show wide variation out of the factory, as do the blades, and so need a major investment in fettling and in adjusting for each new blade.

They're brutal but work well if you make the investment.

Sawdust Maker
1st December 2010, 07:57 PM
I've a little 14"

wish (in hindsight) that I'd gone a bigger one, may do the trade in one day
IMHO the 14" is a tad small for the blank making etc

Now the Husky chainsaw (18" blade) is about right. wish it'd stop raining so I could fire it up

RETIRED
1st December 2010, 08:56 PM
I use my bandsaw for everything as I don't have a table saw.

I have never had trouble realigning blades and it takes about 5-10 mins to fit a new blade and be back in operation. Most of that time is cleaning the crud out.

It is an old butchers saw that was converted to wood about 25 years ago and has not missed a beat since.

Throat depth is 300mm and can cut 400mm wide. It is extremely accurate.

Would I miss it? You betcha.

orraloon
1st December 2010, 08:59 PM
I do have a chainsaw but neighbours also.

NeilS
2nd December 2010, 10:56 AM
It's a toss up between the chainsaw and the bandsaw. If I could only have one or the other for woodturning it would have to be the chainsaw. But, I'm a mere bowl turner...:rolleyes:

Bandsaws make life easier.

Chainsaws also make life easier, but also pay for themselves quite quickly in my experience.

On bandsaws, if you can justify the initial cost, a larger diameter bandsaw wheel is easier going on the blades.

Almost managed to get a very large old cast iron framed bandsaw but transport costs killed off that opportunity. But, have been happy with my 430mm Leda. 5 years and counting.

rsser
2nd December 2010, 11:35 AM
During my first few years of turning I bought prepped blanks from a supplier, going down and eyeballing the stuff.

Pro:
* convenient; ready to turn to finish
* could see the figure clearly
* got advice on how to treat the timber
* got advice on which species were sods to turn and which not

Con
* exxy
* hard to come by big lumps or species not available in commercial quantities

So then to nature strip dumps and the like. Chain saw essential; good bandy handy.

A retired ww teacher mate of mine has filled his shed with old machinery. Has had to change 3 phase motors to 1 phase and deal with the motor mount probs. But he now has great machines at bargain basement prices.

Not all new bandies are plain sailing. I've had one that worked out of the box and one that needed fettling and still needs constant tweaking.

Bowl turners doing deeper work obviously need bandies with good size throats and they don't come cheap from new.

robo hippy
3rd December 2010, 05:26 AM
Best 3 Christmas presents I bought myself:

Lathe, 3hp Robust American Beauty, step up from PM 3520A, and step up from a 4 speed Atlas.

Laguna 16HD bandsaw, 4.5 hp Baldor motor, and 16 inch cutting height.

Oneida 3 hp centralized dust collector.

Couldn't do without any of them.

robo hippy

jimbur
3rd December 2010, 09:28 AM
I do have a chainsaw but neighbours also.
I think my neighbours are deaf (or don't want to argue with someone with a chainsaw):D

tea lady
3rd December 2010, 09:29 AM
Might have to give Santa forewarning for next years pressy! Meanwhile I'll go and visit people for another year! At least I make 'em a cup of tea. :D

issatree
3rd December 2010, 08:37 PM
Hi Jefferson,
It seems like your B/Saw is a bit bigger than mine, as I have a 14in. 1987 job. Use only 3/8in. 6 TPI Skip Tooth Blades. I cut a lot of Branch Timber, which could have a bit of dirt sometimes, & other Woods as well.
It has a McMillan Decal on it.
I have only changed the motor, & that is it.
Every Blade used has been Documented since 1987.
Like you said, the most important piece of machinery other that the Lathe.
My Saw gets a pretty hard time now & then, & just wondering why you have so much trouble with yours & you are not the only one, as I know of a few with probs. as well.
Regards,
issatree.

barnsey
3rd December 2010, 11:56 PM
Reckon the drill press comes 1st but I guess I'm a bit of a wood and metal guy.

The old man recommended the drill press on his experience which was considerable.

He also said that you always sit in the center seat of the Ute, - that way you don't have to get out to open the gate and the bottle passes twice.

Smart bloke my old man - God rest him.

jefferson
4th December 2010, 05:07 PM
No idea, Issatree, why my saw gave me grief. The switch went first, then the capacitor, then the motor. Or maybe that last two at the same time. No dust extraction on the bandy for a while, so maybe.....???

issatree
4th December 2010, 08:42 PM
Hi Jeff,
I learnt a while back to take the Switch out of its housing & encase it in Glad Wrap.
Works a treat on all those kind of Switches, Ped. Drills, Grinders, Table Saws, Lathes, & so on.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

rsser
7th December 2010, 06:21 PM
So just to diverge for a moment, why is it that with an email notification of issatree's posts I get a screenful of garbage?

DJ’s Timber
7th December 2010, 08:12 PM
So just to diverge for a moment, why is it that with an email notification of issatree's posts I get a screenful of garbage?

Is this what you're seeing Ern?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

From a quick Google search it appears that it is possibly caused by a Firefox addon on issatree's computer, specifically The Browser Highlighter. If he removes that addon, it should go away.