PDA

View Full Version : Needle Cases

Řistein
3rd December 2010, 09:15 AM
Hi from high north.

To last Christmas market I made some Needle Cases, and here is a four of them.
From left to right;
a ash case for sewing needles, two cases for crochet hooks - one from ash and one from oak and one case for knitting needles made from black walnut.
They are all sanded to 400 grit and treated with boiled linseed oil.

Thanks for looking.

dr4g0nfly
3rd December 2010, 10:15 AM
Very Nice, do the push together or are they threaded?

Rum Pig
3rd December 2010, 10:25 AM
They look great well done:2tsup::2tsup:

Řistein
3rd December 2010, 04:50 PM
Hi from high north.

To last Christmas market I made some Needle Cases, and here is a four of them.
From left to right;
a ash case for sewing needles, two cases for crochet hooks - one from ash and one from oak and one case for knitting needles made from black walnut.
They are all sanded to 400 grit and treated with boiled linseed oil.

Thanks for looking.

Here is how they are made:

bluegum30
3rd December 2010, 06:35 PM
If you are just showing you work could you tell us what you bored them out with ?

They look good to me.:2tsup:

Ad de Crom
3rd December 2010, 07:05 PM
Řistein, this is very nice, a nice job for the wintertime.
Ad

Řistein
4th December 2010, 03:46 AM
If you are just showing you work could you tell us what you bored them out with ?

They look good to me.:2tsup:

Theese needle cases are bored with:
15 mm for needles, 18 mm for crochet hooks and 22 mm for knitting needles.
The flange is 30 mm long and the wood flange is 3 mm thick. But you can use what drill bit you want. If you want to make theese neddle cases you are welcome.

Yes, I´m selling theese needle cases and the price is from Nkr.150,00 for the small to Nkr. 250,00 for the knitting needles + Nkr. 50,00 extra for lazer engraving of the name of the owner. I do give them away too.

Alessandro Erpi
4th December 2010, 06:12 AM
I agree AD!!!
It seems a lovely work for the winter!!!
Well done Oistein!!!

artme
4th December 2010, 07:07 AM
G'day Oistein!:) Long time no hear!

Nice work on the needle cases.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

John Lucas
7th December 2010, 07:40 AM
Exactly what I'm teaching tonight. I made my first one as a sewing kit with bobbins and a needle case inside the bobbin. I also make these as pill boxes for those who need to take medicine before a meal. It's surprising how large a pill is.

ticklingmedusa
7th December 2010, 03:03 PM
Very cool!:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
7th December 2010, 08:45 PM
Oistein

exceptionally nice work

I think bluegum30 was asking what the actual tool was you used to bore them out with

John Lucas
8th December 2010, 07:34 AM
I do mine with drill bits. That's why it's a good project for beginners. You only need a spindle gouge and parting tool. I turn tenons on each end of a piece of wood to fit my small jaws on the lathe. (you could simply turn a 3/4" tenon and then drill a hole in a wasteblock on your faceplate and glue the blanks into that)
Then I part the wood in two about 2/3s or the way from one end to the other Mount the short end in the chuck, face off the end and then drill it. This will be the lid.
Then place the other piece in the chuck. turn a tenon to fit the lid. YOu can do with with the parting tool if your careful. Make if fit pretty snug at this stage. Then drill the bottom using a smaller drill of course. Usually I drill it first because moving all that wood relieves some stress and may make the top not fit correctly so I turn the tenon after drilling.
Then I mount the lid back on and turn the outside. I usually bring up the tailstock to support it. Once I've turned most of the outside I round off the end of the lid. Then remove it. Then I round off and cut off the bottom. Now you can just sand them but what I usually do is mount the drill bit in the chuck and put the lid back on it. This way I can finish turning and sand the lid end. I do the same with the bottom.

Old-Biker-UK
8th December 2010, 08:09 AM
Now that is neat -any copyright on the design?:)
Mark

Řistein
8th December 2010, 09:24 AM
Exactly what I'm teaching tonight. I made my first one as a sewing kit with bobbins and a needle case inside the bobbin. I also make these as pill boxes for those who need to take medicine before a meal. It's surprising how large a pill is.

Very nice work you show John.
May I use your idea?

Řistein
8th December 2010, 09:33 AM
Now that is neat -any copyright on the design?:)
Mark

I`m agree with you philosphy line, I have just experienced that in my job.