PDA

View Full Version : typical hypocrite.....doing exactly the opposite

E. maculata
7th November 2004, 09:05 PM
of what I vowed to do :o
As mentioned in another post picked up several old chisels yesterday, and the angles of the bevels were “interesting” to say the least, a couple even had “back bevels” of huge proportions and all had “circular grinds going on.
Now staying true to my word as per Silents’ lapping thread, I have gone back to sharpening basics, just needed to “reinvent” some of the basics as I see them. Now my biggest issue has always been getting an repeat ably accurate angles on my old bench grinder with a green wheel, which if I’m completely honest does tend to burn the steel fairly easily. So I came up with a solution using my old Goodall (Aussie 1940’s) Metal lathe and a 7 inch sanding attachment, I think the pix tell t it better than words can.
#1 prototype to see if it will be a goer, made from pine and old Blue gum off-cut T&G

#2 Pine & Perspex works fine.
Actually it works brilliantly, exactly the same angle on every chisel so far, not a hint of blueing (speed slowed right down)and as I mounted coarse mesh grit on one side and 120 on the other what’s to stop me adapting to a higher tech(read foolproof, no rocking, uneven pressure etc) version of SS graduating quickly up disc grades next(yeah I know getting away from real “Basic” ) Also worked great on a 7/64 plane blade as well

Next week I’m going also going to get some rare earth magnets off a computer tech mate and mount them behind the Perspex, so the blade is held securely without fingers or clamps.

derekcohen
8th November 2004, 03:55 AM
E

This looks to be good. I recall trying the same thing some years ago but clearly didn't have your touch - I ended up with uneven grinding.

Will the perspect and magnets be rigid enough? What you have seems a better idea.

Keep in mind that you will still need to sharpen the blades. Are you going to hollow grind them (on your green wheel)? I'd do that, then whatever you usually do (SS, waterstones or oilstones).

Regards from Perth

Derek

E. maculata
12th November 2004, 10:45 PM
E

This looks to be good. I recall trying the same thing some years ago but clearly didn't have your touch - I ended up with uneven grinding.
Are you going to hollow grind them (on your green wheel)?
Derek

Thanks for the ideas Derek,
My old goodall lathe is a beauty, even lets plonkers like me work to tolerances less than 1-2/1000 which is well within my personal tolerance levels for intolerable deviations of accuracy :confused: I'm sure with your more than passing interest in stuttgart enginering, you'll understand ;)

Tried leaving the hollow grind in the bevel of a titan 1/4 mortice the other day, and I'll be honest the lack of a discernable "CLICK" on the oilstone afterwards was not to my liking, it undermined my confidence in keeping the correct angle whilst freehanding, so I gave it a few dozen stokes on the diamond steel to completely remove it as per usual.
Whew.... back in my comfort zone, that was close, almost tried something new ;)