PDA

View Full Version : Baseball bat

smidsy
8th November 2004, 05:19 PM
Hei Guys,
Always wanted to make a baseball bat and my turning club has just got a stash of nice old jarrah fence posts - obviously jarrah would be no good if it was going to be used but I figure for an ornamental one it will look quite nice.
Anyone know where I can get plans or dimmensions?
Cheers
Paul

Barry_White
8th November 2004, 05:55 PM
Go to your local sports store and take a picture and measure one up.

graemet
8th November 2004, 08:21 PM
You wanna rob a bank?

TimberNut
9th November 2004, 12:31 PM
I made one for a friend just recently. scaled down and put on a stand, for a sports club presentation.

I needed to make sure that all dimensions were correct, and I located them from the U.S. sites.

Just look up baseball history. some college web sites have detailed information. also, major US online sports stores list dimensions.

here is an excerpt from the official NBL rules. hope it helps

The bat shall be a smooth, round stick not more than 2 3/4 inches in diameter at the thickest part and not more than 42 inches in length. The bat shall be one piece of solid wood. (b) Cupped Bats. An indentation in the end of the bat up to one inch in depth is permitted and may be no wider than two inches and no less than one inch in diameter. The indentation must be curved with no foreign substance added. (c) The bat handle, for not more than 18 inches from its end, may be covered or treated with any material or substance to improve the grip. Any such material or substance, which extends past the 18 inch limitation, shall cause the bat to be removed from the game.