PDA

View Full Version : Another Pot Pourri special

dai sensei
11th December 2010, 09:59 PM
The club decided to have a go at making items similar to our wood-turning idols, so I picked a Cindy Drozda star box, but I decided to make it into a pot pourri that I needed to make for a Xmas gift. No hope of finishing it on the club night (3hrs), especially when what could go wrong did. I also decided to give this piercing a go for the pot pourri lid after turning it to 3mm thick.

I went for some nice Hairy Oak I had plus Queen Ebony for the details. I didn't get the bowl shape I wanted due to the size and faults within the Hairy Oak, should have been larger dia and shallower bowl, but it does the job. Also wanted to make it a stubby version to ensure it was more stable than my last one.

Problems - the tennon in the main bowl let go a few times, holes & faults in the hairy oak, I dropped the dam thing during sanding and broke a star tip, lost one base off the lathe (I still don't know where it went), I stuffed up the sizing of the tennon joint once, the Ebony ring cracked in half, had trouble with my polish (was getting old :(), the list goes on :doh: I also thought the Ebony top ring/knob was a bit boring, so added some Turquoise, but I think I made it worse :-

I got to the stage when I just wanted the dam thing finished, so much time on a freeby :~ Oh well, I'm sure she will like it and not even notice all the things I can see that drive me nuts :roll:

Cheers

dai sensei
11th December 2010, 10:06 PM
Oh crap, I also just noticed I put Ebony + Rose Sheoak on the bottom instead of Hairy Oak:doh:

TTIT
11th December 2010, 10:50 PM
You and it may have been through the wars but it still doesn't look half bad! :2tsup:

brendan stemp
12th December 2010, 09:31 AM
Very nice Neil. Beautifully designed and crafted. I like the finial too; I'm so glad you didn't go for one of those huge, poorly proportioned finials that many think look good on this type of box. Timber combination is also spot on.

Ed Reiss
12th December 2010, 12:59 PM
Me thinks thou protest too much, Neil:q

Looks reallly well done to these old eyes:2tsup:

mkypenturner
12th December 2010, 01:46 PM
great acchievement considering the problems along the way :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th December 2010, 02:40 PM
That looks very, very trick.

Well worth the "learning experience," hey? :wink:

wheelinround
12th December 2010, 02:45 PM
Nice work oh wise one :2tsup:

Picko
12th December 2010, 04:44 PM
Nice job Neil. I'm sure Cindy would say so too.

artme
12th December 2010, 07:18 PM
Like the timber and the finish!!:):):)

As for the rest......... the jury is still out.

rhossack
12th December 2010, 11:09 PM
geez Neil ... I think that may just reap you some extra bonus points with the 'little woman' and she'll make sure you have enough timber ... very nice.

dr4g0nfly
13th December 2010, 05:53 AM
In the style of Cindy Drozda maybe but I think she'd be proud to to know that you have turned something so beautiful based on her works.

gawdelpus
13th December 2010, 08:58 AM
This is one of those things that in spite of all obstacles has come up worthy :), I saw this yesterday and it looks and feels just right ,photos are great ,but the real thing is heaps better lol. Well done Neil !:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: cheers ~ John

dai sensei
13th December 2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys

geez Neil ... I think that may just reap you some extra bonus points with the 'little woman' and she'll make sure you have enough timber ... very nice.

Just what I was thinking :wink:

turnerted
14th December 2010, 04:51 PM
Neil
I think this looks great despite all the problems .
I have just started experimenting with piercing . What type of burr do you use?
Ted

dai sensei
14th December 2010, 10:13 PM
I have just started experimenting with piercing . What type of burr do you use?

I got mine on Ebay for $25 for 10, the same as the below that come in different sizes, but prices seem to have gone up :(. I use them in a very cheap air tool, the same as the below that works at 65,000rpm at full speed, almost double the Dremmel.