PDA

View Full Version : Display and Selling Turnings

Tony Morton
12th December 2010, 10:06 PM
For some time now I have been selling wood turning products at our local Arts and craft markets and with most pieces of similar color shapes etc. my question 1 is what color cover works best to cover the display tables at present I use unbleached calico. And Question 2 being that we have a 3meter square site and use a gazebo type tent with a six foot by 2 foot table each side and a four by three foot table in the middle leaving an access gap between tables and about four foot at the back for us and container storage. would like to know how others display their work, my stuff ranges from pens and small boxes which are in the middle at the back so they dont get the wanders and larger bowls platters and lazy sue sans any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and Cheers Tony

tea lady
12th December 2010, 11:26 PM
Sounds like you have a lot of stuff on display! Maybe even slightly overwelming. I've been looking at my stall and feeling like I need to focus a bit more. Just too many differant things. I remeber hearing somewhere that if there is more than ten things for people to chose between they just walk away rather than choose anything. :shrug:

Are you doing well with sales? Or is that why you are asking? :doh:

I don't like the gazebo things. I feel it closes everything in too much and makes it too dark.. Its hard when everyone at the market seems to be doing it though. And easier with weather I guess.

One thing I noticed is that a strong coloured table cloth seems to work better to get people over to look. I usually had a red table cloth. Bought a goldy/beige one one week and there did not even seem to be as many people wander over for a look! :shrug: Could have been my imagination though!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th December 2010, 11:30 PM
(waves at Tea-Lady)

Hi, AM. Are you still using those "step-ladder" shelves you made up? (Just being curious. :;)

tea lady
13th December 2010, 01:00 PM
(waves at Tea-Lady)

Hi, AM. Are you still using those "step-ladder" shelves you made up? (Just being curious. :;)Yes I am! Get lots of comments. I'll see if I can find a pic and put it up here! :cool: I also have an interesting old pigeon hole shelf thing that I prolly could have sold a dozen times by now. :doh: Works a treat to get them interested enough to come and look closer! :cool:

Ed Reiss
13th December 2010, 01:24 PM
Have found that wood products look good on blue velvet...have used for years and have had a lot of positive comments from customers and other vendors as well.

tea lady
13th December 2010, 02:16 PM
Have found that wood products look good on blue velvet...have used for years and have had a lot of positive comments from customers and other vendors as well.:think: It does look good! Will have to keep my eyes out for blue table cloth! :cool:

RETIRED
13th December 2010, 05:20 PM
We always used red cloths and had height variations with little platforms just to attract the eye.

Tim the Timber Turner
13th December 2010, 06:04 PM
Red ????:?

You wouldn't want to be trying to sell Red Gum or any red timbers..

I'm with Ed on this one.:2tsup:

I use a blue/grey material, a bit lighter than what Ed uses..

It contrasts with both light, dark and red timbers.

Red woul be OK if you were displaying only light colour timbers but not with Red Gum or red colour burls.

Cheers:U

Tim

RETIRED
13th December 2010, 07:01 PM
Yep. red.:D

I agree that if you are selling darker timbers then you have to contrast.

A friend who sold a lot of Blackwood used Yellow.

Tony Morton
13th December 2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the comments so far I am starting to get a better idea of the whole marketing thing.
cheers Tony

tea lady
13th December 2010, 10:34 PM
Yep. red.:D

I agree that if you are selling darker timbers then you have to contrast.

A friend who sold a lot of Blackwood used Yellow.I have a few little white plinths if I need to contrast. (Actually blue mightn't be so good for my pottery cos some of that is aqua :think: )

NeilS
17th December 2010, 05:41 PM
A few mirror squares (e.g. mirror tiles) can be used to feature selected pieces. It gives a second view from underneath and adds interest. Works well on low level displays and with more sculptural pieces.

Some raised clear plastic display stands also add interest and variation.

Little Festo
20th December 2010, 09:19 AM
hello Tony,

I use a green background. Looks ok. Much the same set-up as you. I tend to have about 30 pieces or so. There is an argument for choice. I use small plinths a friend makes up from white perspex - different heights.

I'm very lucky as I have a very good site at the markets too.

Peter