PDA

View Full Version : Birdbath

Imallchalkedup
14th December 2010, 12:24 PM
Hi all, first time I posted here and I'm from the other side of the world, but looks like a fun group of people and some wonderful turners in here. I myself have joined a woodturning club here in the USA, Missouri and have been turning for just over a year now, so here is my latest turning.
This was a small bowl, 6 1/8 across and couple of inches high. I decided I wanted to make something different with it and I got this idea of a birdbath. I’m pretty happy with it and may make this one of my signature items and use all my small bowl for this. It was very fun to make and I got use of my donut chuck I just made. The bowl was made from a piece of box elder I recieved as door prize at our club, we all draw for the door prize which is usually a roughed out bowl and this was my first win. The rest of the birdbath is made from honey locust and walnut.

Nai84
14th December 2010, 04:07 PM
Hey ImallchalkedupWOW that is nice piece and well done I like it alot nice job mate Ian

Imallchalkedup
14th December 2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks Nai84, I really enjoyed making it and it may end up as a gift to my mother for christmas.

dai sensei
14th December 2010, 10:18 PM
Welcome aboard and well done :cool:

I reckon it would look in an entry hallway :wink:

Ed Reiss
15th December 2010, 12:28 AM
Hi Imallchalkedup...welcome to the forums...a real good bunch of folks here.

Nice turning :2tsup: ...see ya' had to train a couple of birds to stay still for the pics :roll::D

boysie39
15th December 2010, 02:12 AM
Nice project may borrow it if you dont mind ? Have a bunch of hollow forms that some eegit went through the bottom of :- :- will cut them in half and make two from each.
Lovely work , all the best Boysie

Imallchalkedup
15th December 2010, 05:57 AM
Thanks for all your nice comments :U and go ahead boysie, I plan on using my small bowls for projects like these. Didn't really like making small bowls until now:)

artme
15th December 2010, 07:29 AM
Nice turning mate!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

What finish did you use??

Imallchalkedup
15th December 2010, 02:14 PM
Nice turning mate!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

What finish did you use??
I sanded everything to 600 grit and left everything natural, then applied Minwax spray on Laquer.:)