PDA

View Full Version : woodie magazine subscriptions - what do you get?

Spanner69
15th December 2010, 05:28 PM
Howdy all,

SWMBO (aka. LOML) has asked what I want for Christmas. What I really want is a good magazine subscription for woodworking.

I have thought about Australian woodworker, Australian timber something, and Australian woodsmith.

What woodworking related mags do you get or wish you could get and what have you found to be the best in terms of inspiration, information and other interesting tidbits.

I know my library does not and for some reason will not get Australian woodsmith. They do get American woodturner for some bizarre reason though!

Let me know what is a good publication and what is a really "stay away" publication.

Cheers.

watson
15th December 2010, 05:42 PM
I would go for Shop Notes and Fine Woodworking (My preferences only)
I really don't like Australian Woodsmith as it is all reprints from the US version of Woodsmith and Shop Notes. ( They do change the names and addresses of the contributors of the same Tips though) :rotfl:
And I would go for a direct subscription of the US mags.

Big Shed
15th December 2010, 05:47 PM
Agree with Noel, be aware that Fine Woodworking offers an on-line digital subscription for around $35 pa. Gives you on-line access to the latest issue as soon as it is published, all content downloadable, most in pdf format. It also gives you access to their very extensive archive of articles from previous issues, as well as videos.

I have been taking out this subscription even though my local library gets Fine Woodworking. It also gets Australian Woodworker (hohum) and Australian Wood Review, as well as Woodturning (UK). I buy this last one off the news stand, but you can get a local subscription to it from The Woodsmith.

jefferson
15th December 2010, 06:34 PM
Fine Woodworking for me too. Not much turning stuff there though - get that from the UK or AWW.

The local mags do however have ads and thus specials! :rolleyes:

watson
15th December 2010, 08:01 PM
:whs:
My only complaint with the local product is the PRICE.
FWW at the newsagent costs about $15 a copy..........subscription price of $35 PA far beats that, same with the DVD's and books offered from the site.
Same price difference for the US Woodsmith and asssociated products.
Must be out expensive old forest woodpulp :shrug:

groeneaj
15th December 2010, 08:39 PM
I subscribe to the Fine Woodworking Mag and purchase the Australian Wood Review whenever it comes out without fail.

rsser
15th December 2010, 08:46 PM
Australian Woodworker normally has a w/t article as does Aust Wood Review.

From the US, Woodturning Design sometimes has something of use in it.

And you can read American Woodturner online if you join AAW as an online member.

kcam
15th December 2010, 08:50 PM
:rolleyes: My vote goes to the Australian Wood Review as the best subscription value available with excellent all round content.

Ozkaban
16th December 2010, 07:31 AM
I quite like Aus Wood Review, though there is little content for turning - usually 1 article per issue.

The FWW onlinse subscription sounds interesting though.

Quick question, Ern, What does AAW stand for? Google doesn't help much :doh:

Does anyone get the woodturning mag from the UK? I've been interested in getting a subscription to this but don't know if it's any good.

Cheers,
Dave

kcam
16th December 2010, 07:42 AM
The American Association of Woodturners AAW AAW Homepage (http://www.woodturner.org) is a pretty good subscription covering just woodturning hard copy and electronic available.Their web site has pretty good info as well.:2tsup:

Hors
16th December 2010, 08:04 AM
I quite like Aus Wood Review, though there is little content for turning - usually 1 article per issue.

The FWW onlinse subscription sounds interesting though.

Quick question, Ern, What does AAW stand for? Google doesn't help much :doh:

Does anyone get the woodturning mag from the UK? I've been interested in getting a subscription to this but don't know if it's any good.

Cheers,
Dave

As a newbie turner love the uk woodturning mag, specific to woodturning, and from the birthplace of woodturning (my opinion only not based on fact)

If you subscribe, look at doing it direct with GMC publishing, and cut out the middleman (ie Len) and save yourself a couple of bob.

Enjoy the christmas read no matter what santa brings

TTIT
16th December 2010, 08:50 AM
AS a self-taught turner, I owe a lot to UK Woodturning - a series of articles on chisel technique 6 or 7 years ago got me from scraping and hacking to slicing (and hacking :; ). I still subscribe to it even though the project articles are a bit ordinary these days.
Also buy Aust' Wood Review regularly and for some reason I can't explain (something to do with family tradition :shrug: ) I still get Aust' Woodworker too.

rsser
16th December 2010, 08:53 AM
I subbed to the UK Woodturning a while ago and it left me cold. The gear reviews were limp and the projects uninspiring. Maybe it's better now. Good newsagents carry copies here so sample a few issues before stumping up for a sub.

At the time it was actually cheaper to get it through The Woodsmith than from the UK.

jmk89
16th December 2010, 09:33 AM
I buy AWR for local content and Popular Woodworking Magazine from the US (mainly for the stuff that Adam Cherubini, George Walker and Chris Schwarz contribute - I find FWW a bit samey compared to PWM).
They both tend to focus on furniture rather than turning (altho AWR usually has one item per issue on rotary woodwork!), but that is also my focus so they suit me.

Ozkaban
16th December 2010, 10:16 AM
The American Association of Woodturners AAW AAW Homepage (http://www.woodturner.org) is a pretty good subscription covering just woodturning hard copy and electronic available.Their web site has pretty good info as well.:2tsup:
:2tsup: Thanks!

I may also have to dig out the issues of the UK magazine and check it out. Thanks Spanner69 for starting this thread :2tsup: An issue that's been on my mind for a bit :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

ticklingmedusa
16th December 2010, 01:56 PM
Your wife is good to you .:2tsup:
You can browse a listing of periodicals here .

Woodturning and Woodworking Magazines (http://www.woodturns.com/books/magazines.htm)

markharrison
16th December 2010, 08:50 PM
The only magazine I subscribe to these days is Popular Woodworking. Since Chris Schwartz became the editor this is now the best magazine available on the subject of woodworking, in my view. Not much on woodturning if that is your thing but almost every other magazine covers woodturning to death so it's nice to have a change for us cabinet makers.

I subscribed to FWW for years but cancelled last year.

I'm not so down on Australian Woodsmith as others are. I do know the origins of the material but there is some localization. I think it is reasonable value for money and the designs are well thought out and practical.

orificiam
16th December 2010, 08:57 PM
I subscribe to Australian Wood Review and get Woodturning Uk from Jim Carrolls CWS.
delivered to my home. well before it its the newsagents.:2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)

sparkie54
17th December 2010, 02:07 PM
I agree with TTIT I have got a lot out of the Woodturning Magazine from the UK seen as I also am in Townsville we should start swaping magazines. Drop me a PM
Chris:U

Sawdust Maker
18th December 2010, 09:05 AM
SWMBO says I get too many :o and that they take up too much space :o
FWW
AWR
Aus Woodworker
Aus Woodsmith (yes I know it's origins)

I also get More Woodturning electronically, here (http://www.morewoodturning.net/) it's a little quirky but I find it a good read. I fact I've almost finished reading the electronic back issies from 1996 to date :cool:

They are all different and I get a good read out of them, sometimes a little hohum but usually of some interest

Have been thinking of the electronic American Association of Woodturners mag, might buy myself a sub for xmas (now there's an idea:U

BozInOz
18th December 2010, 07:57 PM
I've signed up for Australian Wood Review to keep up with happenings in Aust, and Fine Woodworking for pure woodie goodness.

Spanner69
19th December 2010, 11:39 AM
cheers everyone.

I have learnt a lot from your replies and I will endevour to "make it so".

Merry bah humbug to you all.

Pat
19th December 2010, 12:26 PM
I also get More Woodturning electronically, here (http://www.morewoodturning.net/) it's a little quirky but I find it a good read. I fact I've almost finished reading the electronic back issies from 1996 to date :cool:

You are truly evil!

rsser
19th December 2010, 05:03 PM
The question remains about what's covered and how well, re woodturning.

The OP was general but as it was put in the w/t subforum that's what I'm sticking to.

AWR: though normally there's only one article per issue and only 4 issues per year IME they have been of high quality, from the likes of Terry Martin, Richard Raffan and Andrew Potochnik. They are mostly projects but have also covered tools and sharpening. For me they justify the price and I have just subbed for a year.

Aust WW: again, usually just the one piece, projects or tools. Brendan's had an awesome project piece in recently, and there's stuff on DIY tools like the Skewart. The style and production values are more 'homey' than AWR but no worse for that.

Woodturning: the UK mag; have given my view of that.

Woodturning Design: US; outrageous newsagent price and much cheaper to sub. Despite the title there's not much about design. Lots of chat and tips as well as projects.

American Woodturner: projects, tips, association and chapter info, lead pieces on wood art, occasional pieces on quality research on issues like tool edge treatments. High production values and a window on where leading edge work in the US is heading. Online sub is good value in my opinion.

More Woodturning: online; essentially a one-man show and after subbing for a year I wouldn't again. Too limited.

Spanner69
19th December 2010, 08:57 PM
what if you were not focusing on wood turning per se but wood work in general with some fgood projects to take on.

Pat
19th December 2010, 09:34 PM
Funnily enough, I subscribe to AWR because of the range of wood working related stories.

I do occasionally buy a range of both Australian and international mags for variety, but have not found another one to bother to subscribe to, even the electronic versions.

Waldo
19th December 2010, 11:15 PM
I subscribe to the Fine Woodworking Mag and purchase the Australian Wood Review whenever it comes out without fail.

:whs: :2tsup:

mrmoon
26th December 2010, 09:20 PM
I go for AWR, wood review, local product thats bloody good, but yeah not enough woodturning