PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Resin Glue

lesmeyer
9th November 2004, 01:44 PM
G'day.
Maybe someone can help by telling me if we have access to plastic resin glue in Aus and if so, what the commercial brand name of it would be. I believe that this provides longer open time when gluing up laminates etc.
Les

echnidna
9th November 2004, 01:56 PM
Dunno about the plastic resin glue but good old PVA works well for sticking laminex down.
I usually apply glue to the substrate then to the laminate then a second coat over the substrate (a paint roller makes the job easy).

IanW
10th November 2004, 10:37 AM
Les,
The problem is that an awful lot of synthetic glues can be described as 'plastic resins'.
If it is really Laminex you want to stick to a counter top, then AV180, available at any place that sells kitchen fittings etc., is the recommended goop.
If you meant something to laminate wood strips, and particularly if they are going to be shaped (bent) in a way that puts strain on the joins, then you need a glue that doesn't creep. There are quite a few, but resorcinol or urea formaldehyde would give you the creep resistance and long open time. Both tend to be dark coloured, and both need closely-mating surfaces for good bond strength. If your surfaces are not closely-apposed and if you are glueing light coloured wood, maybe epoxy is the way to go - if you will be using a lot, you can buy in bigger quantities, which is much more economical than the hardware store rip (off) packs.

Here's a url giving a quick n dirty overview of glue types:

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howTo&p=BuyGuide/GlueGuide.html

cheers,

lesmeyer
10th November 2004, 12:58 PM
Thans Ian. You answered my question. It is the resorcinol or urea formaldehyde

glue that I will need for gluing strips of wood when bending.
Les

AlexS
10th November 2004, 02:00 PM
Les, I haven't used resorcinol or U/f glue, but have used Techniclue epoxy for laminating. It gives about half an hour of working time, and can be coloured to matchthe timber if necessary. Available from Carbatec & others.

graemet
10th November 2004, 08:32 PM
It is the resorcinol or urea formaldehyde
glue that I will need for gluing strips of wood when bending.
Les Les,
I have used both for laminating bent forms. The urea f is good if you want the finished piece to look homogenous but I prefer the dark brown resourcinol as it shows up the laminations which makes bits on boats look classier!
Graeme