PDA

View Full Version : Instances that love to be unique!

brandy20
19th December 2010, 04:31 AM
Hello SketchUp lovers, here (http://www.sketchupwoodplans.com/2010/12/18/short-post-component-unique/) is a short post on how to handle unique component instances.

NCArcher
20th December 2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks Luca,
I had to use this exact function last week. Took me a while to work it out. Wish i had of read your post first :doh:
The problem i had was that even though i was making the component unique, similar components were made up of groups of other components, which were not affected by the make unique command. Hmmm..that didn't make much sense. I had several bench tops listed as seperate components. If i made one benchtop unique, altering individual boards in that bench top altered the same individual board in all the benchtops. I eventually worked it out :U

brandy20
21st December 2010, 06:44 AM
You might have this kind of problems when you have components nested into other components. Generally speaking I don’t nest components into others until the work is done, and this is one of the reasons :wink:. Nesting components into a single component can be useful for example when you create a drawer and you want to move the whole entity instead of a single part of it. But if you don’t need to move it but only hide it for display purposes you can also use layers.