PDA

View Full Version : Heres something y'all might want to try...

MathewA
10th November 2004, 01:27 PM
I've been turning since 1978. Of late I've gotten kinda bored of turning wood so I thought I'd try aluminium. Had a chunk laying around that was 10cm diameter by 10cm length. Chucked it up in my stronghold chuck and turned it as if it were wood. Took a bit longer to turn but it was a fun project to try. Turned it using regular woodturning hook tools. I've since tried casting my own aluminium and then turning it. The brass ring at the top was turned slightly over sized then I heated the AL bowl and pounded the ring on. Theres no way it's comming off. It's actually quite easy to turn aluminium on a wood lathe. You just need to be more cautious with possible catches

TimberNut
10th November 2004, 01:36 PM
Awesome stuff!!!
now where does one get aluminium blocks of that size?

All i can say is you are a brave man!

How did your chisels stand up to it? You must have spent most of your time at the grinder re-sharpening your tools!

Man, but it's cool.

Congrats on 'pushing the envelope'. Its great to see turners who think 'outside the square' (or outside timber, in this case :cool: )

Is it bowl and lid, or one piece hollow-form? If so, got any other photos with the lid off?

MathewA
10th November 2004, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't say brave - ignorant would be more accurate. Too ignorant to know I shouldn't be trying that.

No, any tool steel will go through aluminium like butter. Most modern woodturning tools are made from A2 tool steel or better.

It's a solid hollow form. The access opening was about 20mm; it was closed down to about 12mm with the brass insert.
Thank you for your kind comments

Awesome stuff!!!
now where does one get aluminium blocks of that size?

All i can say is you are a brave man!

How did your chisels stand up to it? You must have spent most of your time at the grinder re-sharpening your tools!

Man, but it's cool.

Congrats on 'pushing the envelope'. Its great to see turners who think 'outside the square' (or outside timber, in this case :cool: )

Is it bowl and lid, or one piece hollow-form? If so, got any other photos with the lid off?

Mikko
10th November 2004, 06:06 PM
Very impressive Sir!!!!
Need to tell my mates of this....

Cheers,
Mikko

smidsy
10th November 2004, 06:24 PM
Hei Mathew,
That's a gorgous peice of work - I've tried working nylon bar on my wood lathe but I would never have thought of try aluminium.
Cheers
Paul

MathewA
11th November 2004, 12:45 PM
Don't ya love the shavings you get from turning nylon. I used a bowl gouge to turn down some once. The shavings were 6 feet and more. Gets distracting when they get wrapped up in the turning when its doing 1500rpm.
Hei Mathew,
That's a gorgous peice of work - I've tried working nylon bar on my wood lathe but I would never have thought of try aluminium.
Cheers
Paul