PDA

View Full Version : Office furniture completed

busyhands
21st December 2010, 10:45 AM
Hello again all fellow wood whisperers!

Dropping in to show off some of my latest accomplishments. Just completed a desk, conference table and storage unit for an office in Melbourne and am pretty pleased with the result.

Table and desk constructed out of Southern Mahogany; storage unit made from ply with Sydney blue gum veneer and solid Southern Mahogany drawer fronts. Drawer pulls are made from fiddleback Southern Mahogany.

Table design is based on an earlier table I built for my own home - stainless steel legs and panels appearing to hold the floating table top.

I've had lovely time over the last eight months designing and building it. Don't you just love this woodworking bug?!!

Wongo
21st December 2010, 10:53 AM
Very nice. Love the drawers.

Greg Ward
21st December 2010, 11:14 AM
Southern Mahogany?
Is this the same as red or swamp mahogany from NSW?
heavy and red?
Thanks
Greg

Waldo
21st December 2010, 01:15 PM
I really like the idea of the drawer pulls. I've filed that one away in my noggin for one day. :2tsup: (just hope I can find where I put it when I need it)

busyhands
21st December 2010, 03:09 PM
Southern Mahogany?
Is this the same as red or swamp mahogany from NSW?
heavy and red?
Thanks
Greg

Swamp Mahogany (Eucalyptus botryoides) is also known as Bangalay, not the same as Swamp Mahogany, although it does grow from the east gippsland coastal area up to around Port Stevens in NSW. In colour it is more similar to Sydney Blue Gum (hence the ability to match it with the SBG veneered board).
It has a tendency to split and boards often show a lot of gum veining, so it was a case of get more timber than you need so you can pick and choose the boards for the job. :roll:

artme
22nd December 2010, 07:43 AM
Beautiful work there BH.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I too like the drawer fronts.:)

seasidevicki
22nd December 2010, 02:01 PM
Hi,
Your work is "jaw-droppingly" beautiful.
Everything is so precisely designed and executed - the colours, the timber and such a inspiring use of metal as well.
Whoever is getting your work is very lucky - I wish it was me!
I live in Adelaide and have to start looking for someone to make a very large bookcase for me.
Cheers
Vicki

Woody1
22nd December 2010, 06:14 PM
A beautiful piece of woodwork. I also love the draw pulls and design:)

Well Done

BobL
22nd December 2010, 06:26 PM

Dropping in to show off some of my latest accomplishments. Just completed a desk, conference table and storage unit for an office in Melbourne and am pretty pleased with the result. . . . .

And so you should be! :2tsup:

busyhands
22nd December 2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks to everyone for your warm words - what a wonderfully supportive community of woodworkers we have here!

BobR
22nd December 2010, 08:09 PM
Beautiful pieces of furniture. I also love the drawer pulls.

mrpedersen
24th December 2010, 07:23 PM
Elegant, easy flow, very stylist. My favorite woods and definitely the color finish. Great

flynnsart
24th December 2010, 09:18 PM
Beautiful work!

Donna

danny.s
23rd April 2011, 11:11 AM
Wow! That's beautiful!

RufflyRustic
23rd April 2011, 08:18 PM
Stunning! Well Worth the 8 months :):U:2tsup::2tsup:

AlexS
25th April 2011, 07:07 PM
How did I miss this? That's a lovely piece of design and creation. Well done.

HazzaB
25th April 2011, 08:04 PM
Hey Busy Hands,

Very Nice work :2tsup::2tsup:

I would love to have a job like that to do, you should get some pens done from some of the Off cuts to finish off the job :rolleyes:

HazzaB

Bushmiller
30th April 2011, 06:11 PM
Busy hands

Only just seen this. Will have to get my head out of the trees. I would describe this as conceptual and extremely well put together. Congratulations.

Just a question: What is the small, raised portion on top of the desk. It looks as though it could move and is reminiscent of a spoiler, perhaps for keeping the back of the ute down on the faster sections during delivery:rolleyes:.

Seriously, name plate, ink well (not in the 21st C) pen tray?

Again a credit to you.

Regards
Paul

jeorgechello
14th October 2011, 04:25 PM

Dropping in to show off some of my latest accomplishments. Just completed a desk, conference table and storage unit for an office in Melbourne and am pretty pleased with the result.

Table and desk constructed out of Southern Mahogany; storage unit made from ply with Sydney blue gum veneer and solid Southern Mahogany drawer fronts. Drawer pulls are made from fiddleback Southern Mahogany.

Table design is based on an earlier table I built for my own home - stainless steel legs and panels appearing to hold the floating table top.

I've had lovely time over the last eight months designing and building it. Don't you just love this woodworking bug?!!
I love the touches you made to the desk... What kind of wood did you use there? I would like to make the same desk but of course with my own signature in it... And what other woods would make a desk like that...