PDA

View Full Version : design help needed

bowl-basher
22nd December 2010, 02:39 PM
Hi All
I have started to turn a potpourri bowl and I am stuck about how to shape the "foot" I have the basic shape that I was looking for and at the moment it is held in expanding mode with the recess being 52mm
The question is o learned friends what would you suggest I do with it from here????:?
most grateful for all comments or suggestions
Bowl-Basher

wheelinround
22nd December 2010, 02:45 PM
Bring it over BB you have made a real hash of that :q

Lovely bit of wood what is it??

I'd do either part of flat.

or make a similar shape foot inverted to the shape of the outside of the top but smaller.

rsser
22nd December 2010, 02:57 PM
Umm, what do you want to do with the foot now BB?

My normal order of work is to mount the form at the top, shape, sand and finish the outside, and then turn to hollowing. In that case, with small pieces like yours and given my chucks and jaws, I will have turned a spigot for the foot sized so that clamping won't leave jaw marks. (If I wanted to mount the foot by expansion, the foot will be too wide for the form to look much good.)

Then clamp the foot in the chuck and hollow and finish the inside.

bowl-basher
22nd December 2010, 05:31 PM
Umm, what do you want to do with the foot now BB?

My normal order of work is to mount the form at the top, shape, sand and finish the outside, and then turn to hollowing. In that case, with small pieces like yours and given my chucks and jaws, I will have turned a spigot for the foot sized so that clamping won't leave jaw marks. (If I wanted to mount the foot by expansion, the foot will be too wide for the form to look much good.)

Then clamp the foot in the chuck and hollow and finish the inside.
Ern
I have hollowed it in the mode that you see and will sand and finish the top and down the side about half way, normaly with this type of top opening I would hold by the lid hole in expansion mode to finish the foot/base...would you leave it as a sraight base?? (what dia) or a foot ??(what shape) this is the dilemma :?:?:?

bowl-basher
22nd December 2010, 05:33 PM
Bring it over BB you have made a real hash of that :q

Lovely bit of wood what is it??

I'd do either part of flat.

or make a similar shape foot inverted to the shape of the outside of the top but smaller.
Hi Ray
Yellow box burl.... not quite a hash yet .......it is still in one bit:q:q
Graham

RETIRED
22nd December 2010, 06:02 PM
If you have enough timber at the base I would bring the side down in an ogee and make the base about 60MM in diam. l

Like this:156600

artme
22nd December 2010, 09:58 PM
:? Have you thought of turning a separate foot, much like Ray suggests, using a plainer timber?

rsser
23rd December 2010, 12:13 AM
Yes, as points out, a simple rule of thumb for the OD diameter of a foot is about 1/3 of the form diameter.

As for the shape of the foot, frankly your piece is tricky because as pictured it has a dominating shoulder. That needs a matching strong statement at the foot - eg. relatively tall and coved, the substance of which you prob don't have hidden in those jaws in the pic.

Always worth sketching out possible shapes IME, once you've trued the blank.

I've snookered myself before by not doing this, and have been sitting on a fantabulous figured blackwood semi-enclosed form for 2 years now cos I didn't plan it beforehand :(