PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Bench Dogs

outback
10th November 2004, 08:42 PM
Point one. I did a search.
Point two. A short of a piece of dowel is too loose.

What do peoples use for bench dogs. The Veritas would be OK, but surely someone has made something just as useful. I need to vary the height for different thicknesses, they need to be solid, they need to be within my capabilities.

journeyman Mick
10th November 2004, 09:02 PM
I recall seeing plans for a bench (don't know where) that had a series of round holes. Underneath the top, partly overlapping the holes was a stiff strip of rubber. In use, you could push the length of dowel into the hole and force it past the rubber. The rubber would jam back against the dowel and hold it at whatever height required. It sounds like it should work providing that:
the benchtop is of sufficient thickness to provide adequate bearing area for the dog, and;
the dog is a snug but sliding fit in the hole.
One day, when I actually have time to play and am not just trying to make money out of sawdust production, I will build myself a bench and play with hand tools.......yeah, one day. :rolleyes:

Mick

mkb
10th November 2004, 11:23 PM
This of any use

bench dogs (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=9654&page=3&pp=15)

Ben from Vic.
10th November 2004, 11:30 PM
Outback,

How 'bout getting a piece of dowel and routing a small groove down one side, then you could use a little wedge to secure the dog at the right hight.

If you put a little hook on the top on the wedge it wont fall down the dog hole.

Might work???? :o

Ben.

derekcohen
11th November 2004, 02:59 AM
Here are a couple of my benchdogs.

The first one is a moveable stop that runs the width of my bench. It is attached with bolts and is adjustable for height. When not in use it is left flush with the benchtop. This is just fantastic for planing large surfaces, such as table tops.

Basically, because this provides such a stable surface, I can run a board against it without the need to clamp it down. But for extra lateral support I have a small benchdog "plugged in" alongside. There is another one on the other side of the board for more detail. It is just a 3/4" dowel to which a flat top is glued and screwed. I have a number of these, in various sizes, thicknesses, etc. This type of benchdog is also very useful for irregular shaped pieces.

You may note that the bench top has several holes drilled in it at regular intervals.

Hope this helps.

Regards from Perth

Derek

IanW
11th November 2004, 08:47 AM
Outback,
When I built my first decent bench, I opted for rectangular dog holes - not because of any deep thought about it, but because the model I was roughly following (Tage Frid's in a VERY early FWW) used them, with a very simple router jig to cut the slots before assembly of the top. I couldn't get the metal dogs he used at the time, so made my holes a bit bigger (about 30 x 25mm) and used wooden dogs. I made the dogs a good snug fit, and at first there were no problems with them staying at the heights I wanted, but after a while they wear, (or the season changes) and won't stay put. My first solution was to copy the idea on the metal ones and glue a sliver of springy wood in a side slot. Fiddly to do and sort of worked, but then a very simple idea occurred to me, and I stuck a couple of those bullet catches in them. Takes about a minute to do and works perfectly. Thinking ahead (for once!) I put the catches a bit randomly, on different sides so if they wear grooves in the slots I'll be able to switch them around. In more than 12 yrs use on the present bench, they still work perfectly in the original holes.
I stuck with square holes and wooden dogs for subsequent benches for two main reasons. 1) I've hit my wooden dogs with planes, chisels and router bits on numerous occasions. Result - a few ragged-looking dogs, but no damage to cutting edges (or me!). 2) When making up dogs for special holding jobs, it's convenient to have dogs that won't twist, (though I can see there are times when that might actually be an advantage).
Round dogs have the advantage that you can bung a hole anywhere a dog is needed, but I've never needed any more dog holes than the strip down the front. The simple bullet-catch probably won't work on a round dog because the housing would foul the sides of the hole before the ball makes solid contact, but you could cobble up something along similar lines if you were really keen.
There's no end of suitable woods for dogs on this continent - you probably have half a dozen within easy reach where you are. I prefer some of the wattles for toughness, but have made serviceable ones from just about anything, at a pinch.
Cheers,

Alastair
11th November 2004, 11:25 AM
Ian

I am fascinated by the "bullet catches" but have absolutely no idea what you are talking about! Could you post a bit more detail, (or a photo!). Also an idea where one might source them.

Thanks

Grunt
11th November 2004, 11:54 AM
Here is what I did for Bench Dogs. Sometimes these are hard to pin down but a few nails here and there and they work a treat. :D

Termite
11th November 2004, 01:20 PM
Grunt, it's nice to see the kids look just like their father. :D :D

Coldamus
11th November 2004, 01:50 PM
Here is what I did for Bench Dogs. :D
I think the one in the middle is trying to tell you something.:p

I agree! :D

derekcohen
11th November 2004, 05:23 PM
This one is several months old now. Say hi to Rufus, my trusty benchdog and helper. :D

Regards from Perth

Derek

outback
11th November 2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the help, and it stayed on topic for ages, I am impressed.

I have twiddled with the idea of a springy catchy thing on the side of a wooden dowel type dog. Whilst I'm sure it would work, I have neither the time or patience to make it so.

I am currently working on the bench, and have finished turning the top into swiss cheese. I do need to hold glued up panels for planing. I like Dereks idea, and as it looks simple enough to do, I will.

I will get around to wonder dog impersinations next, the thread referred to will provide the pattern to be followed.

I'd still like a wooden dog, which can be raised and lowered to hold varying thickness wood to be held steady.

simon c
11th November 2004, 05:50 PM
Here is what I did for Bench Dogs. Sometimes these are hard to pin down but a few nails here and there and they work a treat. :D

Please refer to the left for my Bench Dogs. I should point out that in the photo they are actually on my wife as opposed to being on a bench.

LineLefty
11th November 2004, 07:16 PM
I didn't actually end up making the steel benchdogs. The timber ones work just find. Although dereks jig seems like a winner, and it's impossibly easy to set up.

Grunt
11th November 2004, 08:48 PM
I think the one in the middle is trying to tell you something.

Sadly, my boy has a tongue that is far too big for his head. If he was human, he'd be popular with the ladies.

silentC
12th November 2004, 09:13 AM
My bench dogs are 3/4" dowels in tight-fitting holes. I whack 'em up from underneath when I need 'em and whack 'em back down again when I'm finished. Total cost: 20 cents each. Wooden 'whacking' mallet not included.

IanW
12th November 2004, 09:14 AM
. I'd still like a wooden dog, which can be raised and lowered to hold varying thickness wood to be held steady.

And it won't piddle on the bench, either. You bunch are worse than proud new grandparents! I can't post a pick of my hound, for fear of being laughed off this BB.......

Outback - I took the camera home last night so I could put up a pic of what I was burbling about yesterday. The thingies between the two dogs are 'bullet' catches - you don't have to be an imaginative genius to see how they get their name. They come in different sizes, so you can pick what suits your setup. They are dead easy to fit in a flat surface - just countersink the collar flush with the side. All the ones I've fitted so far have been a comfortable press-fit in the right sized (Imperial) drill hole. It might not be so easy in a round dog, but you might be able to file the edges of the collar away a bit so that the ball engages the side of the hole sufficiently??

And I've attached a sketch of how my first attempt at solving the problem would look on a round dog. A lot more fiddly to do than simply bunging in a bullet catch.
Cheers,

Termite
12th November 2004, 12:13 PM
Ian, that bench is not just a pretty face, it looks like it actually gets used :eek: and often :D

Alastair
12th November 2004, 12:44 PM
Iain

Thanks

Bullet catches now make sense.

IanW
12th November 2004, 12:58 PM
Ian, that bench is not just a pretty face, it looks like it actually gets used :eek: and often :D

Termite - yep - it bears a few scars, as you note. It's my 'taking to wood shows' bench, back in the days when I seemed to have a bit of time for such things. It was made so the top was about as heavy as I could comfortably lift into the back of a station wagon. Unfortunately, that definition has a diminishing weight-value I forgot to figure into the equation! As is often said, the only good thing about ageing is it's better than the alternative.......
And don't you like the finishing touch of the wine bottle stain on the vise? Gotta get our priorities right
Avagooday,

brucelit
12th November 2004, 02:38 PM
Maybe not something you are interested in but I turned a few that I needed out of walnut. You can make the shoulder(tenon) at any point along the turning that you need to. You could even leave them square except for the tenon to fit into your bench. Good luck.

outback
13th November 2004, 05:31 PM
Thanks everyone, plenty of food for thought.

My 3/4 dowel is loose in the holes, so no whacking, maybe a bullet catch can be fitted, something to think about. I'll probably end up with a few of everything, so I'll be prepared for any situation, then end up using two or three of the one kind.

Thanks again for the input, I love this place

vsquizz
13th November 2004, 11:12 PM
they need to be within my capabilities.
Hhhhhmmmmmm ???? ;)

Cheers