PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question - wax on blanks

Lance
18th September 2000, 04:29 PM
Hi I am new to woodturning and have a question

Last week I was in a woodturning supplies shop and noticed wax on the end of some turning blanks (with bark still on them). I got distracted talking about lathes and tools and forgot to ask about the wax.

I thought you would leave the wood unsealed on the ends so it could dry out or 'season'. I heard that turning 'green' or wet wood will distort after some time.

So my question is - why bother waxing when you could let the wood dry out and turn it quickly to a finished product?

Cheers,
Lance

Iain
18th September 2000, 08:46 PM
A sealant on the end of timber will slow the drying time thus reducing the chance of splitting. On the blanks you saw I would guess they came from a sealed piece of timber and was not removed. I use paraffin wax on green wood to prevent splitting, especially spruce and some of the pine species.
Having said this someone will probably have another explanation that I am not familiar with.
usually shoots me in the foot, and whats worse is.....................he's usually right. Then I am not a full time woody and he is (as are many others on this site)

RETIRED
18th September 2000, 09:35 PM
Gooday.

Iain you are partly right.

Lance, turning blanks of green or wet timber are sealed, either by wax a proprietry sealer like mobilcer M, latex or acrylic paint and even PVA glue to stop the moisture from escaping too quickly through the end grain.

I.E. on round blanks you will notice that they are sealed around the circumference not the faces. Square or spindle turning blanks are sealed on the ends. When a log is cut the ends are sealed, although professional mills (read big sawmills) do not seal logs but keep the logs wet by sprinklers.

The greatest amount of moisture loss is through the ends and leads to timber degradation and therefore firewood. Sometimes expensive firewood.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

JackoH
19th September 2000, 04:37 PM
Spot on ,as usual.
I use an electric frying pan ($5 from a garage sale) and melt a combination of 80/20%,paraffin /beeswax mixture.
It's a simple job to roll a bowl blank and achieve the effects as described.