PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a lathe looking for info

LifetimeBan
29th December 2010, 08:24 PM
Seasons greetings all. I am looking for information/opinions about the Ryobi HL-100 Wood Lathe. I was visiting the local tip today where I picked one up for the princely sum of $7. I have given it a bit of a clean and it seems to be working fine. The only drawback is that it doesn't have a stand, but I can make one of those. It also has a sanding disk on the back of the lathe and is four speed. Now obviously for the price I paid I couldn't complain even if it is crap, and I couldn't knock it back at the price, and it is now officially my first lathe. I haven't turned anything since high school, back in the 70's, so any help/advice about what to start on etc would be appreciated. Need to now get some chisels, will probably try the big green shed, I think I have seen some cheap ones there.

All comments/suggestions gratefully received.

Willy Nelson
29th December 2010, 09:14 PM
PM sent
Willy

Sawdust Maker
30th December 2010, 08:58 AM
Happy first lathe

But we all need a piccy

by big green shed you mean Bunnies, I didn't think they sold lathe tools

try carbatec or Timbecon

LifetimeBan
30th December 2010, 04:43 PM
Here are some pics of the lathe, and my first turning effort in 30+ years. The 4th pic is the old chisel handle.

maņana
30th December 2010, 09:22 PM
Glad to see you took my advice on trying the Woodturning Forum. Hope you get plenty of response to your post.
The lathe, for $7, is a gift. Even if you go on to a better lathe if you find you like turning, you can still use the Ryobi for sanding, etc. (It is too light to use as a mooring weight for a boat.)
Put more Posts on the Forum asking for advice re 2nd hand tools and tuition and the like in your area - you will find there will be someone around willing to help a newcomer.
Happy turns
Mick C.

artme
30th December 2010, 09:46 PM
Looks very similar to a generic Chinese Lathe I tried to use when in Brazil.

It had a spur drive and faceplate, but no morse taper in either head or tailstock. PITA to use.

Bed is relatively light gauge square tube and I had a lot of trouble with flexing.

Just be aware of theses lmitations.

Sean H
30th December 2010, 09:50 PM
Hi All,
You can get some cheap things from the dump, bunnings do not sell turning tools you could try ebay first up for some cheap tools the last time I had seen some on ebay I think they went for around $50, if it turns out you wish to go further you could lash out and buy a decent lathe like the mc900 and tolls from carba tec. There are other stockists of lathe and tools but I found carba tec (brisbane) great.

As far as learning you could do some woodturning tution or if you are quick a learning some new or working on old skill you could try the net / you tube, get some books, videos etc.

Go for it make plenty of dust
Regards
Sean H

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th December 2010, 10:07 PM
Just to quickly add to previous comments:

1. It's not a lathe I'd recommend for a beginning turner. (Too many potential turner's have been put off the hobby by "cheap" lathes and their shortcomings.)

2. However... it's still better than nothing. And if you do learn to turn passably well on it, you'll do very well when you upgrade to a better lathe. :;

3. Even should you decide that turning's not for you, these machines can be converted into a brilliant linisher/disc sander. :;

4. Enjoy!

orraloon
31st December 2010, 12:44 PM
A good start with the chisel handle. Making new handles was what prompted me to get my first lathe also. As the others have said that model lathe is rather limited but it is a lathe and you look keen to start so enjoy the trip. Over the years I have seen some good stuff made on those lathes regardless of the limitations. Do a search on here for GMC lathes so see some of it. When you upgrade down the track you still have a 4 speed sander and that is a handy bit of kit in the shed. As for tools carbatec, gasweld, total tools and some others sell a chineese turning set of 6 or 8 tools in a pac for around $100. Not bad to start then get better ones when you master shsrpening.
Regards
John

ptwd
1st January 2011, 09:51 AM
Head to the local library, they will have a plethora of books on turning.

hughie
1st January 2011, 02:57 PM
As Skew has pointed out. $7 is about whats its worth and don't be disappointed with its limitations as it has a few:U but the you've got to start some where