PDA

View Full Version : Tassie supplier required

Fred in Tassie
13th November 2004, 08:16 PM
Hello

Are there any Woodturning interest groups in SouthernTasmania. I am looking to join a group.

Cheers
Fred

ptc
14th November 2004, 09:32 AM
love the dogs.
ptc

reeves
15th November 2004, 11:12 AM
Fred said, Hello

Are there any Woodturning interest groups in SouthernTasmania. I am looking to join a group.

Cheers
Fred

Fred, in direct answer to yr question, are u crazy man ? i recently visted tassie for 7 days and i saw more woodtruners in one place, sth west Tassie, than i had ever seen.

Just at Salamanca markets i think there would have been over 15 stalls with woodturning stuff.

AS for groups i think the Tasmanian wood craft guild

http://www.tco.asn.au/oac/community_groups.cgi?oacID=60&groupID=594

who had a stall at the recent wood show were looking for new members and had lots of wood turning stuff. See Val in gallery 77 in Salamance a shse seeme dot be in contact with a lot of turners, Brad Moss i think is one of the best and teaches at TAFE in hobart.

These guys might know

http://www.microtech.com.au/~woodturners/woodturners_of_tasmania.htm

From what i could gather there is about a woodturner on every street corner, i have never seen so much.

have u been to Salamanca on a saturday ?

Please LMK how u go

cheeeeers
john

KevM
15th November 2004, 02:02 PM
Hello Fred,
I am not aware of any specific woodturning groups but we (Woodcraft Guild Tasmania) do have quite a few wood turning members. As Reeves said, check out our details at http://www.margate.tco.asn.au/tcn/wgt. We are currently going through the process of setting up a Woodturning SIG.

Brad is one of our members and at our October meeting demonstrated techniques used in turning spherical objects.

We also have a group who meet monthly further south at Geeveston in the Forest & Heritage Centre.

Hope to hear from you.

regards

Kev M

Fred in Tassie
15th November 2004, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the reply folks

In response

P T C

The dogs are Shelties. They tend to offer some form of assistance whilst I am working on various projects in my workshop. Their main trick is to distribute wood shavings around the entire workshop, consequyently creating a larger clean-up area, and then of course a major clean-up operation of the dogs takes place prior to their permitted entry into the house.

Does your Avtar have a background.

John

Thanks for the info I will check it out. Whilst I live in the Southern part of the State, I have seldom been to the Salamanca markets, I believe it is commom problem I share with the majority of locals, not to frequent. I will make it my business to visit in the near future. You never know I may even pass some of the woodturners on the street corner on my way there.

TAFE is also an option I will consider, however I will have to wait until next Year, next term.

All things considered, I take confidence from your message that I will not have a problen seeking support.

Kev M

Food for thought, my in-laws live at Geeveston. I am sure my wife would agree that I should visit the Mother-in-law more often. Do you know when in the month they meet.

Cheers

ptc
16th November 2004, 09:13 AM
Fred.
avatar is called "Suki",3yrs old.
[born in Queensland ]the only husky
i know that thinks tassie is Cold
Went to Salamanca Markets on trip down for woodshow
70 percent of stuff appeared to be from same place ?
ptc

reeves
16th November 2004, 10:12 AM
Fred, its on that page for the Guild.

Our Huon Valley Workshop Group meets in the Forest & Heritage Centre at Geeveston on the fourth Wednesday of each month commencing at 7:00pm.

cheeeeeeers

PTC said

Went to Salamanca Markets on trip down for woodshow
70 percent of stuff appeared to be from same place ?
ptc<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

ye si noticed that, about 5-6 stalls seemed to have original work, the others hadna lot of generic stuff that seeme dot be tourist oriented.

I think its fair to say there was a glut of wood craft and some of the craftsmen who were relying on the markets to make a living seemed a bit stressed as others stalls seeme dot be mor eof a hobby, There was however some very nice quality stuff.

KevM
16th November 2004, 01:06 PM
Fred,
Give Roger Browne a call at the Forest & Heritage Centre to confirm meeting times and subject matter for meetings at Geeveston. Roger is also a turner and is a Director of another finish manufacturing company.

Reeves,
You will probably find that the majority of turners selling their wares at Salamanca Market went through an Adult Education course instructed by Barry Champion. He has been conducting these classes for quite a few years. You will notice a post elsewhere from Neil bemoaning the need to re-educate Tasmanian Turners in the "correct"(no steel wool) application of finishes.

regards

Kev

reeves
16th November 2004, 01:22 PM
ok thanks for the Info Kev, its all good.

One thing i did enjoy was the diveristy and enthusiasm of the tassie guys for woodturning and their own view pooints on it. NO one i met was short of conversation on the issue.

As for the 'correct' method of finsihing, while i use the EEEshine and shellawax, and i actually puchased Neils new sander and notched pads, which is great and i am enjoying using it, my finishing ha simproved. I have also been using the glow polish, I think in reality its a pretty subjective issue.

I think everyone of finds their own way, whether its oil, wax, shellawax, EEE or whatever. Different fisnishes will give different results and if a 'different' result is what u r after then u have to try something different.

I use the steel wool with Stephensons canubra wax on other wood works and its great, stuff like boxes and burl platters etc...

One thing i did admire, was in gallery 77 there was abowl by Simon Raffan in Tassie Myrtle, no discernable tool marks and no discernable finish, as in it looked dry. Very clean, no wax, maybe oil, no polish, dunno it just looked dry and clean, nice work.

So my currnet view is that it depends on what finish u are after or need for the work, whatever works for you.

cheers
john

RETIRED
16th November 2004, 03:26 PM
The biggest negative for steel is that if any (and I mean any) of the wool remains on the work it will rust and leave a mark.

ptc
16th November 2004, 05:58 PM
it burns well to. !
ptc