PDA

View Full Version : vicmarc Vl175

Enfield Guy
16th January 2011, 10:06 PM
Gidday
I'm looking at a Vicmarc lathe at the moment. The price seems to be right.

A VL175 swivel head, 2000 model, has EVS but no reverse, toolrest post is about 22.3mm not 30mm as is the case with the current model. Variable speed dial is marked from one to twelve.

My question is. What are the expected speeds for the various settings on the potentioneter (variable speed drive). Any significant disadvantages with the lathe in general? I can have the banjo bored out to 30mm I think, seems to be plenty of meat in the casting.

The machine has not been used for some time. The bed has been well protected it seems but other components such as the outrigger post and the tool rest post need hand linishing to get rid of the rust and free things up.

All comment appreciated.

Cheers

pommyphil
17th January 2011, 06:21 AM
Hi Tom

I bought a 2001 and am delighted. The straight tool post on the outrigger is a pain

but $40 got it "cranked". I've never had reverse so I dont miss it. Hogging out big

blanks I can stall it and it's underpowered for a bowl saver. That said it's a lovely lathe.

A constant pleasure :2tsup: Phil.

rsser
17th January 2011, 03:01 PM
I had one similar in vintage EG. Ranges were hi torque 10 to 1000 rpm; hi speed 30 to 3000rpm.

If there's some rust blooms around also chk the morse tapers in the headstock and tailstock.

These were 1hp models AFAIK and a pulsing method with a bowl corer might get you by, but my banjo was too high to take a Kelton. Could possibly have cut a cm or so off it but didn't seem worth it for my uses.

They're well made and can handle a lot of use. And you can get parts and advice close to where to live.

Enfield Guy
17th January 2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks

That was the info I was looking for. Looks like I will commit to buy.

You guys are great.

Cheers

bobsreturn2003
19th January 2011, 07:21 PM
check the manual should be able to get reverse . mine had a toggle switch for this . the 1 hp is a little low powered , but a lot of trouble to change ,as a special motor mount is needed,as well as the new speed controll :U happy turning

skot
20th January 2011, 08:17 AM
Tom,
I bought a 2nd hand VL175 of the same vintage which didn't have a reverse switch. I purchased a new switch with reverse mechanism from Vicmarc for about $120 (I think) about 3 years ago and installed it myself.

There was a little bit of mucking about with the controller codes but didn't take long to work it out.

My VL175 is at the moment in pieces as it went under in the flood but Marco from Vicmarc assures me that all should be fine with a good cleaning and drying..time will tell.

If you get a Rev Switch from Vicmarc just ask them to tag the wires for the control positions and the rest I can help you with.

Cheers

Enfield Guy
20th January 2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks Skot.

I will be picking up the machine over the weekend. It's been a busy week or so with the flood and the clean up. A builder who I do a fair bit of work for had 3M of water come through his offices that had been completely refurbished about 12 or 18 months ago. Not a pretty sight. Nor a lot of fun to clear out.

My workshop may have to take second fiddle for a short while.

The info the I have been given is to strip, clean, lubricate and reassemble with a generous application of an INOX type product as soon as possible, do not delay. I will be helping with a strip and rebuild of a thicknesser or two over the weekend. Not my machines, just someone who needs a hand.

Cheers

skot
20th January 2011, 09:57 PM
I had 1.3m through my workshop...I got all my woodworking books out, including the one's I picked up from you last year.

Enfield Guy
20th January 2011, 11:52 PM
If you need some help I may have some time available early next week it seems. It's very important to get that machine up and running ASAP.

I will PM you my phone number.

Cheers

skot
21st January 2011, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the offer..I sent you a PM but I should be OK. Motor is out, cleaned and moving freely. The headstock bearings seem OK and the swivel head is also working perfectly.
Will try to reassemble it this weekend and give it a test.

Fredo
21st January 2011, 09:11 AM
It would be hard to go wrong with a VL175, I had a 2001 model for many years and only sold it to update to a VL300, for more power and centre height. As stated in previous posts they're a little light on for power, but none the less they are a very good lathe.

Fredo :U