PDA

View Full Version : tasmania

robbygard
22nd January 2011, 01:32 PM
i am driving down (across on the ferry) to tasmania in feb and am trying to find some places to viist that may sell craft timbers ... not going out west this trip nor to the east coast but will (obviously) hit devonport and travel to hobart (could sidetrack to launceston) ... will spend a few days in hobart and can travel from there ... i have found a couple around hobart but am sure there must be more around

thanks in advance for any help

regards david

rsser
22nd January 2011, 02:58 PM
Hmm, my experience with the easily accessible places last trip over was a bit disappointing.

All kept the same kind of limited range of stuff: b/h sassy, huon, some blackwood, std myrtle, Tiger myrtle etc. Maybe some celery top or King Billy if you were lucky. Often green and not esp. cheap.

It's out of your way but if you're looking for something more interesting then try Cockatoo Timbers in the NW. But you need to be specific there about what you want or else you won't get to see their 'top shelf' stuff.

hughie
22nd January 2011, 03:37 PM
Try this mob.
Myrtle and Eucalypt Green Burls « Green burls « Shop Categories « IST (http://www.forestrytas.com.au/shops/ist/green-burls/myrtle-and-eucalypt-green-burls)

very good prices for bulk, dunno if its on your route tho' .

RETIRED
22nd January 2011, 03:41 PM
They are down south of Hobart. Nice drive down there and virtually on the way to the Tree Top Walk.

rsser
22nd January 2011, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I visited them when last in Tassie on the motorbike. At the time their range was limited. Your luck might be better as of course stock fluctuates. I did pick up a spekky Eu burl square (green, waxed).

What struck me at the time was the amount of figured or burl Myrtle over there that I hadn't come across on the mainland. Beautiful stuff and like butter to turn.

I still have a blank of Tiger Myrtle burl from that trip.

Added: pic of the Eu burl, turned green

robbygard
22nd January 2011, 04:02 PM
thanks for the replies

i am not planning to go to the west this trip but will try the other place south of hobart as a day trip

regards david

corbs
22nd January 2011, 07:34 PM
Will put another vote forward for Island Specialty Timbers in Geevestown when you're down Hobart way. I have brought from them in the past and had to question whether he had costed all my wood or had made a mistake adding it up:-... so I added more wood to my pile:2tsup:

robbygard
22nd January 2011, 08:19 PM
thanks ... i spoke to my wife about it and we are going to have lunch at huonville with some friends (they live near hobart itself but one of their parents is in aged care at huonville and they visit twice a week anyway) one day and go down to geevestown afterwards ... we have just booked boat and accommodation and are staying at salamanca so it should all be easy ... going 3rd week in feb:U

thanks again

regards david

KevM
23rd January 2011, 10:17 AM
thanks ... i spoke to my wife about it and we are going to have lunch at huonville with some friends (they live near hobart itself but one of their parents is in aged care at huonville and they visit twice a week anyway) one day and go down to geevestown afterwards ... we have just booked boat and accommodation and are staying at salamanca so it should all be easy ... going 3rd week in feb:U

thanks again

regards david
Give me a call 0417 119 800, I'm 20 minutes south of Hobart, could catch up for a coffee and run through a few suppliers to visit.

John T
23rd January 2011, 08:02 PM
HI from john t. in deloraine when traveling from devonport to hobart there is a sawmill at Elizabeth town first on the left past ETC CAFE called samual st. on the left a bit of windy road, go to the end of bitumen turn right into north st,go to the end of the road and you will find BLUE TIER ENTERPRISES sawmill he sells blackheart sassy blackwood tigermyrtle celerytop plus other spieces phone 63681441 0437250100
or phone me on 0409623024 for further drictions.only to willing to help. :2tsup:

regards john tracey

robbygard
23rd January 2011, 08:20 PM
Give me a call 0417 119 800, I'm 20 minutes south of Hobart, could catch up for a coffee and run through a few suppliers to visit.

thanks will do

regards david

robbygard
23rd January 2011, 08:24 PM
thanks folks ... that's probably enough of them now ... my wife won't want to spend the whole time going to sawmills :;

regards david

robbygard
23rd January 2011, 08:25 PM
HI from john t. in deloraine when traveling from devonport to hobart there is a sawmill at Elizabeth town first on the left past ETC CAFE called samual st. on the left a bit of windy road, go to the end of bitumen turn right into north st,go to the end of the road and you will find BLUE TIER ENTERPRISES sawmill he sells blackheart sassy blackwood tigermyrtle celerytop plus other spieces phone 63681441 0437250100
or phone me on 0409623024 for further drictions.only to willing to help. :2tsup:

regards john tracey

thanks for that

regards david

WOODbTURNER
24th January 2011, 01:46 PM
There used to a place called "Fairy Land" or something similar on the right hand side of the main road towards Hounville/Geevestown area. The name was a bit off putting but a woodworker's eye catcher inside. The lady was a very good woodturner and wood crafter and was very help full. Her workshop and wood stack made me drool and I ended up with a Prado full of wood.
This was about 4 years+ ago so I don't know if she is still there. Anyway it's worth a look.

robbygard
24th January 2011, 03:28 PM
There used to a place called "Fairy Land" or something similar on the right hand side of the main road towards Hounville/Geevestown area. The name was a bit off putting but a woodworker's eye catcher inside. The lady was a very good woodturner and wood crafter and was very help full. Her workshop and wood stack made me drool and I ended up with a Prado full of wood.
This was about 4 years+ ago so I don't know if she is still there. Anyway it's worth a look.

thanks for that ... will keep an eye out for it

david

KevM
24th January 2011, 03:44 PM
The place is called "Enchanted Woods" located between Castle Forbes Bay and Port Huon on the Huon Highway (watch for signs). Sue has sold the business and the wood stocks are now less but well worth a visit (hint - things there for SWMBO to look at while you look at timber, it is not a sawmill)

robbygard
24th January 2011, 07:36 PM
The place is called "Enchanted Woods" located between Castle Forbes Bay and Port Huon on the Huon Highway (watch for signs). Sue has sold the business and the wood stocks are now less but well worth a visit (hint - things there for SWMBO to look at while you look at timber, it is not a sawmill)

thanks again .. i will probably check that out ... to be fair to my wife, she will be much more interested in the wood in somewhere like that (unless they also have sheet music or wine, either of which would distract her) and we will spend much more money on wood than if i went by myself :U

the issue here is more that we have a fair bit of other visiting, eating and touring to do and only a week in tasmania this time so i reckon i can get half a day or so to go wood hunting ... even that we will undoubtedly combine with a couple of visits and some lunch with friends ... we were in hobart last easter but she was playing her music and i didn't get any time to do other than act as sherpa for her :rolleyes:

thanks again

regards david

springwater
24th January 2011, 08:24 PM
There used to be a bloke who sold pretty good blocks of craft wood (Huon, Sassy, Myrtle and others) at the Salamanca Market by the warfs in Hobart every Saturday. Obviously he's after the tourist dollar therefore the prices were more than what you'd pay at the more out of the way places but considering the entertainment for your wife at the same time it may be worth a look. Not sure if you going further south than Hobart but this place was good for me: Island Specialty Timbers » Island Specialty Timbers (http://www.forestrytas.com.au/shops/ist)

corbs
24th January 2011, 08:34 PM
...(unless they also have sheet music or wine, either of which would distract her)...

Barringwood Park is a beautiful winery (tops Pinot:wink:) and Ian used to have a saw mill up the back. When I was there he had a fair bit of cut rough sawn woods up the back but had to shut the mill down due to staffing issues:(. They're really nice people, and the view from the deck is amazing:2tsup:

Corbs

Tony Morton
24th January 2011, 08:47 PM
Hi David
Just a tip watch out for timber waxed all over it seems no matter how you treat it you end up with rotten mush. I 'll vouch for Kev M down Castle Forbes Bay genuine woodie and gives a good deal also Russel at Elizabeth Town good timber. Have a good trip I hope to be down there in the spring "School reunion".

Cheers Tony

APD
31st March 2011, 10:38 AM
Just a big thanks to everyone for the info on supplies in Tassie, just returned from 2 weeks with a boot load, Blue Tier was well worth the visit, thanks John T. IST in Geeveston were just so accomadating more like family then suppliers. Just need time to convert raw to finished

Mrs Woodpecker
31st March 2011, 09:39 PM
i am driving down (across on the ferry) to tasmania in feb and am trying to find some places to viist that may sell craft timbers ... not going out west this trip nor to the east coast but will (obviously) hit devonport and travel to hobart (could sidetrack to launceston) ... will spend a few days in hobart and can travel from there ... i have found a couple around hobart but am sure there must be more around

regards david
There is a wood shop in Ross called Class Wood. Travel South of Hobart to Geeveston and there is a great place there which showcases craftsmen of all styles, and a lot of wood can be purchased there. Near Castle Forbes Bay, we called in to a place called Enchanted Woods. The owner,Sue has been a turner for years. She sells timber of all sorts, and will send it to you should you want her to. There were other places like Strahan, but I don't think that is on your itinerary.
Hope this is a little help.
Have fun,
Shirley

Mrs Woodpecker
31st March 2011, 09:42 PM

regards david
Ignore my "help" - you have already been. I have been out of action again for a while so am yet to catch up.
Shirley

skot
31st March 2011, 11:00 PM
Shirley,
That advice is not wasted...I am going to Tasmania in June for 8 days, staying in Hobart and traveling out each day from there, so I look forward to seeing some good timber places.

Scott

robbygard
1st April 2011, 07:09 AM
Ignore my "help" - you have already been. I have been out of action again for a while so am yet to catch up.
Shirley

thanks for the response anyway :U

more and more came up and i had a lot less time but still got to:
"shane's burls" quite good but a bit disorganised yet at his new place and not so much local wood;
island timbers geeveston: good enough prices but not a lot of choice ... i think it is better at stahan;
and enchanted wood ... not really worth the time ( i understand it has changed hands) ...

enjoyed myself again in tassie and had a lighthearted moment as i was going back to the boat and was asked by security: "do you have anything 'flammable' in the car?" as we are standing looking at a carload of wood :U

regards david

APD
1st April 2011, 09:27 AM
Hi Skott

Make sure to visit IST in Geeveston and talk to the guy's & girls in the yard or Chris in the office as there is a large amount of stock still in the raw in the yards and they are more than willing to assit you in selection and cutting, I got 4 huon pine branches approx 600mm x 100 diam, for $5 each and they were cut from much bigger pieces. Really helpful folks and you can use your credit card.

Enjoy Tassie