PDA

View Full Version : Where to get wood for making ornamental bowls - Sydney?

red_squirrel
22nd January 2011, 03:40 PM
Hello and excuse my intrusion into your forum.

A relative of mine will be visiting from the UK and would like to purchase a few bits of Australia wood to making medium/large ornamental bowls.

I know nothing about such things and so am putting it out to you experts.

From the description he has given, "something with character", I imagine he is after - something like, Rose Sheoak, River Red gum, Mulga or campho laural??? These are names I plucked out of google so please feel free to offer better suggestions.

So can someone please point me in the right direction of where he can purchase suitable wooden blocks in Sydney from? Any location OK.

Thank you very much in advance.

bowl-basher
22nd January 2011, 04:23 PM
Hi Red
Trend Timbers who are west of Sydney near Windsor carry a large range of all types of blanks and can advise on taking it overseas
Check out their web site
Trend Timbers » Front Page (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/)
I have allways had great service from them
Regards
Bowl-Basher

hughie
22nd January 2011, 04:37 PM
Red-Squirrel, Can you get your relative to be as specific as he can. Try Timber and Burl Liquidation at Bankstown [previously known as Brads Burls] 0417-443-151 Dan Austin I don't have any other contact details, but their prices where wholesale at the 2010 wood show.

wheelinround
22nd January 2011, 05:24 PM
Hi Red I have just sent you a personal message

I hope you get it.

I take it your relation is into Ornamtental turning how would he like to meet up with some from Australia if he has time.

Ray