PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet for CD player in Tasmanian myrtle

Rocker
19th November 2004, 09:25 AM
I was very fortunate to come across some boards of curly Tasmanian myrtle in Britton Timber's racks. It was mostly in 50 mm thickness, so there was quite a bit of resawing to be done.

The design is a larger version of a design by Neil Scobie published about two years ago in Australian Woodworker.

Pity the CD player is so ugly.

Rocker

Rocker
19th November 2004, 09:27 AM
Another pic.

Rocker

Rocker
19th November 2004, 09:31 AM
And another.

Rocker

Iain
19th November 2004, 11:02 AM
Whats the finish on the unit?
Also, you can post multiple pics on one posting, just keep going back to manage download and browse, save some time in the future.
Yes, it does look good, when I finish our (her) kitchen I may get some time to play.

BobR
19th November 2004, 11:23 AM
looks great Rocker. Am also interested in the finish as I am currently building a chest of drawers from Myrtle and am thinking of using Organoil Interior.

Bob

silentC
19th November 2004, 11:25 AM
Nice one Rocker.

Pity the CD player is so ugly
Why don't you make a couple of door frames and cover them with speaker grill cloth?

Peter36
19th November 2004, 11:29 AM
Looks great Rocker . Terrific colour in the Myrtle:D

Rocker
19th November 2004, 11:33 AM
Iain,

I think it is only possible to post multiple pics up to a max of 100 kB per post; each of my pics was about 75 kB - hence the three posts. The finish is Cabothane gloss polyurethane.

Bob,

I used Organoil on some American cherry, and was rather disappointed with the result - it looked very matt, and did not bring out the figure in the wood. I am sure there are some U-beaut products that would do a better job, but I didn't have any to hand.

Rocker

Iain
19th November 2004, 02:51 PM
Organoil can yield nice results but they omit to tell you about how much time it takes, I've used it for a full gloss and it takes hour upon hour.
I have used shellawax on a flat surface in conjunction with my Festool Rotex on rotary mode with a lambswool buff.
High speed and about ten minutes gave a nice high gloss finish, I have wondered if a slowed down angle grinder would do the same job.

Peter36
19th November 2004, 08:55 PM
G'Day Rocker

It's possible to post mutiple pics . I suppose there must be a limit but I have posted 4 pics each about 85 Kb on the one post .

Peter

Rocker
19th November 2004, 09:04 PM
Peter,

Thanks for that info. Maybe can tell us what the limit is??? I wouldn't want to waste time uploading several pics and then be told I had overflowed the limit.

Rocker

jow104
19th November 2004, 09:06 PM
I didn't think you were into modern day music Rocker :D

You can post 4 pics upto around 400kb on one thread posting before it starts spitting.

Nice work and happy listening.

Rocker
19th November 2004, 10:20 PM
John,

I have to acknowledge that most of my favourite music was written in the 17th-19th Centuries, but you can still play it on a modern CD player. Well I say modern, but mine looks like a reject Dalek from the set of Dr Who.

Thanks for the info on the attachment size limit for posts.

Rocker

Rocker
19th November 2004, 10:29 PM
SilentC,

I don't have enough myrtle left to make doors, and, even if I did, I don't want to risk making a stuff-up - I had several close calls in making the drawers - so I think I will leave it as is.

Rocker

Different
19th November 2004, 10:50 PM
Bloody beautiful pity about the ugly stereo.
I got a few boards of curly and burl myrtle but just cant bring byself to use them.

ross

E. maculata
20th November 2004, 09:44 AM
Bloody beautiful pity about the ugly stereo.

Yep, but the stereo's lifespan is very limited...whereas the cabinets' is indefinite.
Mmmm maybe a nice old HMV valve amp (or such) would look more appropriate in such a beaut position and set it off perfectly. And probably sound nicer too.

MajorPanic
20th November 2004, 08:16 PM
What an excellent timber find Rocker!!!!

What about doors with meat safe mesh sprayed/painted black & framed in Myrtle? Would hide the stereo ;)

Oh by the way..... brilliant execution of the cabinet construction Rocker!!!! :D