PDA

View Full Version : Oh No

HazzaB
31st January 2011, 02:31 AM
Hey There

My Dad gave me a piece of Olive a while back, and said that I should make some pens from it, (should have listened) I had a look at it today and thought that it would make a handy little bowl for my keys and small change. I turned up the bottom and sides and thought that it looked alright, so I finished it with EEE and Shellawax, come out looking awesome, I measured the Final thickness (36mm) deducted the depth (8mm) and ended up with 28mm to play with, so I decided that I should leave 5-6mm for final trim and sanding so settled on 22mm depth and trim from there (remember 22mm, write it somewhere) any way start bulking out the insides and get to a depth of 26mm (not remembering 22mm at all) still had 28mm on the brain:C, started to hear a funny 'thats getting thin noise' and Bang, out pops the Centre:doh:, so the lessons learned today, 1. Measure twice cut once, and 2. Listen to your Father , would have been some awesome pens:rolleyes:

oldiephred
31st January 2011, 04:42 AM
Too bad, fine looking piece. Maybe make an insert from contrasting color and pretend that was the plan from gitgo:2tsup:

Mr Brush
31st January 2011, 05:56 AM
I agree - a raised insert from contrasting timber, possibly inscribed with "Listen To Your Father" .......I'm sure one of those laser engraving places would be able to do a neat job of it.:D

Mind you, given the background of this bowl, knowing your luck the laser would be set up wrong and burn right through the insert.......:doh:

mkypenturner
31st January 2011, 06:55 AM
thats a bugger hazza like everyone said turn an insert but im thinking turn a base and a spindle and put together like a cake stand

BlackbuttWA
31st January 2011, 10:10 AM
I did the same thing on a piece of Rose Gum.

I wasn't going to waste it so I added a base of Walnut. Quite pleased with the result.

Col

artme
31st January 2011, 11:45 AM
I've had a couple of see through bottoms Hazza! Almost as sad!:(:(

Nice save there Col!!:):):)

BlackbuttWA
31st January 2011, 12:44 PM
I had made a Longworth chuck & was using it fir the first time, so I was keeping an eye on that also & just ran straight through the bottom...I said " Oh blow" 160160
A clearer photo.
Couldn't get it exactly central, so I ran a groove in with the parting tool & filled with coffee grounds & CA .

Col

Sawdust Maker
31st January 2011, 01:51 PM
Bummer
nice bit of wood

you could turn a lamp for it and use it as the base