PDA

View Full Version : Mini Lathe... Sherwood I think?

comgreserv
1st February 2011, 05:05 AM
I've come across a orange mini lathe, Model MC 612 with it appears to be a variable speed 250W motor on it. What's a fair price for it or is it only good as a boat anchor?

rsser
1st February 2011, 08:00 AM
Depends on what you want to do with it.

comgreserv
1st February 2011, 02:50 PM
I know that it's not a very big lathe but was hoping someone could confirm that I was right with brand and model and perhaps post a pic to compare the one I'm looking at to. Are they a sound lathe for small applications or were they riddled with dramas like GMC lathes?

stuffy
1st February 2011, 03:03 PM
Hi Darren,

I've got an MC 612 that I paid $100 for 2nd hand.
It was like new when I got it.

I liked the idea of a small variable speed lathe for pens and other small stuff.

It's okay for that if you're gentle with it, unfortunately it's a little underpowered.

Also I'm used to bigger lathes and I keep breaking bits. Tool post, plastic handled bristol levers, and a belt have broken in a short time.

It's still a fun little lathe with all the proper features and I like it but I would recommend something a bit bigger as a mini lathe like an MC 1018.

The 612 only has #1 morse tapers and a 3/4" 16 spindle thread which is common enough but I would prefer the #2 mt and 1" 10 of the 1018.

A big strong bloke like you, with the access to wood that you have needs a big strong lathe first.

PM or ring me anytime if I can help at all, if you want me to check one out before buying let me know.

Best wishes

Steve.
:)