PDA

View Full Version : First Effort with Vicmarc Bowl Jaws

smidsy
20th November 2004, 04:33 PM
Hei Guys,
Some pics of my first attempt with the Vicmarc bowl jaws, the timber is marri and it's probably still a bit wet because it's only been off the tree about 5 months.
The wood was end checked when cut, rough turned about 3 weeks ago, endchecked again and then finished this week.
I probably should have let the timber dry longer but I was impatient to try the new chuck and jaws.

There's a knot in the top edge of the bowl which I left it in because I think points like this add to the character of the work - the knot came loose on one edge during turning so I used a little superglue prior to final sanding.

All I've done for finishing was sanding through stages to 400 grit and then U-Beaut shithot wax stick.

Cheers
Paul

rsser
20th November 2004, 06:28 PM
Nice piece Paul.

Good simple form to let the figuring stand out.

vsquizz
21st November 2004, 12:25 AM
Good one Paul. Just think, when I was a kid we didn't even consider Marri good for firewood.

Well done, nice and simple (like me):D

Cheers

gatiep
21st November 2004, 02:58 AM
Nice Paul! If I may ad some well meant critisism........don't skimp on the sanding!!!!!!!

Cya mate
:)

smidsy
21st November 2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Joe, I was thinking the other day that only a few months ago I posted asking how I used the screw that came with the chuck. Thanks to guys here and at Liddlelow I have learnt heaps and I get a lot of fun and satisfaction out the lathe but I still have a hell of a lot to learn so I am always happy to hear constructive criticism.

Cheers
Paul

rsser
21st November 2004, 05:35 PM
Weeeel, one thing to think about Paul is the diameter of the foot. One third of the bowl diameter is a rule of thumb. :D

smidsy
21st November 2004, 05:40 PM
Hei Ern,
I've got another blank which is virtually the same that I might play with at the (turning) club on Tuesday night so I might try for a smaller foot on that one.
Cheers
Paul

gatiep
21st November 2004, 07:37 PM
Paul,

The shape of the bowl in your pic governs the size of the foot. If you made the foot 1/3 on that bowl, it will be pretty useless other than an ornament. I would say that the proportions you used there for the style of bowl, will ensure that it is a useable bowl. Quite often platters become useless, although great lookers, just because a small foot makes them unstable in use. In my book purpose (intended use)of the item and overall shape has a big influence on the size of the foot. Bear in mind that rule of thumb is just that.
:)

smidsy
21st November 2004, 08:27 PM
Hei Joe,
No one ever told me about the 1/3 theory so I have tended to work on the TLAR (that looks about right) theory.

This bowl was different because it was the first one I've done where I was able to take off the chuck recess on the bottom and this affected the dimensions but for the next one I'll work that in to the shaping and allow for it.

Cheers
Paul