PDA

View Full Version : About a month early

joe greiner
5th February 2011, 10:38 PM
The latest batch of cupcake earrings, St. Patrick's Day edition. Not yet sorted for size, and before attaching fishhooks and final cleaning.

I used a long-line production, with dowels about 7 inches long extending as far as possible into the headstock spindle. This seems faster than using longer workpieces and a travelling steady rest, especially because the toolrest doesn't need to be moved. Advancement is via the pin jaws alone.

There are 6 stages to the the turning itself, including drilling the end for a screw eye. I used the chuck's index positions to scratch the flutes with a modified dental pick; visual alignment was satisfactory. I don't know if a real cupcake has 48 flutes, and it doesn't matter anyway.

The lower part of the bodies are sprayed with clear satin polyurethane. The fixture is several push pins through corrugated cardboard, with double-face tape to hold their heads in alignment. I used a safety wire twister to form the screw eyes, cut to length afterwards.

Cheers,
Joe

Sawdust Maker
6th February 2011, 06:55 AM
cute

just think and my butcher used to give us green sausages for St Pats day :doh:

artme
6th February 2011, 08:45 AM
Won't the ear nibblers be surprised!:D:wink:

bowl-basher
6th February 2011, 06:47 PM
Joe:no::no:
I think you have more time than sense also you must have a better pair of glasses than me:cool:
Having said that I love em

Regards
Bowl-Basher

Ed Reiss
7th February 2011, 12:19 PM
mmmmmmm...look good enough to eat, Joe!

Well done :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
7th February 2011, 08:29 PM
Joe, really nice little work, very funny.
Ad

rodent
28th February 2011, 07:36 PM
? Why not use jointing dowels with the flutes already made , just a thought . But i like them just the same , Now Joe you have got me interested what do you do for Easter and Christmas ?

joe greiner
28th February 2011, 11:38 PM
Hi rodent,

Not enough flutes on the jointing dowels. And to mimic real cupcakes, the taper is better.

For Easter, Christmas, Halloween, Independence or Australia Day, etc., just use different color "icing," beads, and glitter. For an earlier batch, red beads simulate cherries.

Cheers,
Joe