PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning teacher

groeneaj
6th February 2011, 04:39 PM
Hi,

I am very new to wood turning. I had my first introduction to turning a few weeks ago when I was in Melbourne - was kind enough to have me over for a day and he taught me some basics.

I then bought a second hand lathe which came with 6 turning tools, a few chucks and some other accessories.

I'm happy with my initial purchase, however I would find it extremely helpful if someone could come over and teach/show me some basics on my new lathe such as how to turn a bowl, the use of chucks etc...

I'm going to join my local turning club soon, however I'd like to feel more confident on my own lathe first. I have also hired some turning books from the library which has helped.

So if anyone is looking for some cash and is experienced in turning please send me a PM. I live in Baulkham Hills.

Cheers,
Andy

wheelinround
6th February 2011, 04:45 PM
Great news Andy well done. Shame you didn't come t the GtG. Come on guy's jump in I would show him what I know but whats the point of going all that way for 5sec':p

groeneaj
6th February 2011, 05:48 PM
Hey Ray - I wasn't aware of the GTG.... Ah well, next time!

bowl-basher
6th February 2011, 06:36 PM
Hi
I suggest that you come along to the western sydney wood turners we meet most days through the week and Friday night from 6.30 (when I go )
as a new turner you will be made most welcome and we have clases for beginner to advanced turner
the address is as follows

Twin Gums Retreat
Cnr Northcott Road & Diane Drive,
Lalor Park NSW

this is the link to the website
Western Sydney Woodturners - About Us (http://www.westernsydneywoodturners.com/)
I am at dundas and am home most afternoons you would be welcome to join me in the shed at any time
best regards
Bowl-Basher

wheelinround
6th February 2011, 06:41 PM
Bowl Basher is a top bloke but has got the address wrong for the best turners group in his area.:p

Saturday and alternate Sundays at Cumberland Woodworkers Inc - News (http://www.wood.asn.au/news.php)

I_wanna_Shed
6th February 2011, 06:48 PM
Hi Andy,

Soon after I got my lathe I did the two day (weekend) beginner's course at Trend, taught by John Ewart - a very experienced guy.

Day one was spindle turning, day two was a bowl. A lot was covered on those two days.

It wasn't the cheapest course around, but the tuition was certainly good and made it worthwhile. A nice small class size (4 when I was there) made sure you had plenty of teacher time.

When I lived up that way I was only 10 minutes from the Lalor Park club. I wish I didn't live an hour south now, because I know one of the chaps at that club and I've only ever heard fantastic reviews of it. If I lived closer I'd definitely get to the Lalor Park club.

I'd say, if you do an initial course at Trend, then follow it up with joining the Lalor Park club to get the lessons which only come with 'experience', then you certainly won't go wrong.

Nathan.

I_wanna_Shed
6th February 2011, 06:49 PM
Bowl Basher is a top bloke but has got the address wrong for the best turners group in his area.:p

Saturday and alternate Sundays at Cumberland Woodworkers Inc - News (http://www.wood.asn.au/news.php)

Here we go.... inter-club rivalry! :p

I don't suppose anyone on here knows anything about the club in either Macarthur or Bowral?

Nathan.

bowl-basher
6th February 2011, 07:08 PM

We could argue about that :q:qbut I dont want to upset you as I need an oval base for a special candle holder that I am working on for Jenny will PM the details as soon as I know them
PS watch out one of the "westies " dont let your tyres down

groeneaj
6th February 2011, 07:17 PM
Nathan - I forgot about that course. Its only down the rd I might call them next week.

The reason I was looking for a teacher to come to my place is because I got a few different chucks and bits and pieces that I'm not quite sure how to use properly.

I actually phoned one of the guys from the Lalor Park last week. I was planning to go last Friday but couldn't make it. I'll plan to come and sign up this Friday.

Andy

Sawdust Maker
6th February 2011, 08:02 PM
Andy

You haven't said where you are!

groeneaj
6th February 2011, 08:16 PM
Andy

You haven't said where you are!

I did - go to my first post, it's at the end. I live in Baulkham Hills :2tsup:

wheelinround
6th February 2011, 09:00 PM
Here we go.... inter-club rivalry! :p

I don't suppose anyone on here knows anything about the club in either Macarthur or Bowral?

Nathan.

Yes I do some top fellows at both of them Nathan.

We could argue about that :q:qbut I dont want to upset you as I need an oval base for a special candle holder that I am working on for Jenny will PM the details as soon as I know them
PS watch out one of the "westies " dont let your tyres down 6th Feb 2011 06:49 PMWould that argument be about you being a top bloke Graeme :U A for the clubs it would hard to argue about to many of them are crossover members.:roll:
I await your PM

Andy forgive Nick its his age now he's retired he just sees wood shavings

Sawdust Maker
6th February 2011, 09:31 PM

Andy forgive Nick its his age now he's retired he just sees wood shavings

Nah

I just don't read to the end of a post:doh:

Andy

I could wander up but I'm still in the learning phase meself. I think you'll get good support from a club.
I'm about to get into the practice, practice, practice phase (but only if I can clear up some of these honeydew jobs:doh:)

But if you want a yarn and camaraderie then I am only too happy to visit

RETIRED
6th February 2011, 10:17 PM
Andy. I can highly recommend John as a teacher. Tell him the left handed Victorian wood turner sent you.:D
Hi Andy,

Soon after I got my lathe I did the two day (weekend) beginner's course at Trend, taught by John Ewart - a very experienced guy.

Day one was spindle turning, day two was a bowl. A lot was covered on those two days.

It wasn't the cheapest course around, but the tuition was certainly good and made it worthwhile. A nice small class size (4 when I was there) made sure you had plenty of teacher time.

When I lived up that way I was only 10 minutes from the Lalor Park club. I wish I didn't live an hour south now, because I know one of the chaps at that club and I've only ever heard fantastic reviews of it. If I lived closer I'd definitely get to the Lalor Park club.

I'd say, if you do an initial course at Trend, then follow it up with joining the Lalor Park club to get the lessons which only come with 'experience', then you certainly won't go wrong.

Nathan.

wheelinround
7th February 2011, 09:16 AM
Andy lets start the process picks of the lathe & chucks etc will help.

I have 2 lathes here so you could always bring them over (me coming over can be APIA for access). I have 1x10 a Jet Mini and Nova 30x3.5 threads on the lathes.

Drillit
7th February 2011, 09:25 AM
Hi Groeneaj,
I would strongly suggest that you learn the fundamentals from a professional and I would recommend that you contact Trend Timbers and do an all week-end class with John Ewart an experienced turner and former TAFE teacher. The next class is 26/27/2 and trend are at Vineyard.
They have a website. It would be well worth the experience and as a former student I can thoroughly recommend. Drillit.

groeneaj
7th February 2011, 06:35 PM
I'll give them a call this week. I'll be away during the next course but hopefully I'll be able to make the next course.

Andy

Alastair
9th February 2011, 05:09 PM
Firstly, gotta endorse the recommendations to John Ewart.

He was one of my teachers when I did the TAFE course some years ago, and is excellent. Like Rob, he has been a professional turner for years, which means he cuts through a lot of the "boutique" nonsense which can creep into the craft.

Second, there is another candidate for Turning club for you. Hornsby Woodturners meets in Annangrove (2 Shoplands Road), just to the north of you. Meeting from 11h00 this Sat 12th Feb, if interested. I'll be there .

Thirdly, I am in Mount Colah, and while I am not doing a lot of turning ATM, due to reno and furniture projects, if you would like to drop by, PM me, and we can set something up.

regards

indigo.frog
14th February 2011, 12:13 PM
I would be careful of offers of advice to teach you at the Bowral club - I found everyone helpful, but people tried to teach me different techniques which other people said were plain wrong. I was "kindly" taught a different use of a scraper for bowl turning, which resulted in my bowl flying out of the lathe (and was told that it was quite obviously going to happen, but no one interrupted me to say so). Someone else grabbed my new chisel and proceeded to give it a new edge without a by your leave. And I'm hardly an inexperienced turner, having been at it on and off for 20+ years before trying the club out. I gave it several months but really it's a club for retired men.

indigo.frog
14th February 2011, 12:22 PM
If you don't mind the travel, Mike Darlow is in Exeter, long drive but great teacher. You could bring your chucks to show him. He teaches on a vicmark lathe. I've also found heaps of tutorial videos on the net.