PDA

View Full Version : peppercorn tree bowl

turnerted
7th February 2011, 04:55 PM
G'day
Here's a bowl from a tree I havn't tried before . Schinus areira , commonly called peppercorn tree .
The bowl is 240mm x 70mm and the finish is DO I have several roughouts of this timber and all developed minor cracks on drying which in this case I have filled with Plastibond with black pigment .It only took 4 months to dry from roughout . Maybe if I had slowed the drying down it may have reduced the cracking .
A mate said he dumped a heap of this timber because he had an allergic reaction to it but I had no problems with it. Somthing to bear in mind though.
Ted

TTIT
7th February 2011, 05:12 PM
Nice work Ted :2tsup: In my experience, you will never get around the internal collapse while drying Peppercorn but if you're happy to fill a few voids, it's not a bad timber to play with :;

wheelinround
7th February 2011, 05:18 PM
Ted is that the same one you brought to the GtG.

I liked it there an still do :2tsup:

bowl-basher
7th February 2011, 08:54 PM
Ted
Love the bowl that Peppercorn seems to have a real character to it
I posted this over in the pen section they are made from a dead branch from a peppercorn tree I would love to get some more of it

TTIT
7th February 2011, 10:06 PM
....................... I would love to get some more of it:doh: Now he tells me!

Ed Reiss
8th February 2011, 12:14 PM
Ted, wouldn't see the checking as a problem - seems it added a lot of character to the well done turning :2tsup:

artme
8th February 2011, 08:48 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Nice bowl there Ted! Like the colour.

Great looking pens BB.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

cookie48
9th February 2011, 12:17 AM
It should be the law that all peere trees be cut down. We have 4 in the local church yard and forever pulling up little ones all over the garden from them. But will admit very nice bowl and pens. Might see if they will cut them down and give it go myself.
Bloody things

Nai84
9th February 2011, 03:15 AM
Hey Ted

That is a nice bowl love it and the black adds character to it well done mate

Hey bowl basher

WOW nice pens mate love those knots adds real character to them

Ian

lynda
10th February 2011, 09:42 PM
Peppercorn trees bring back many happy memories as a child climbing in the huge one we had in out back garden, what i would give now for it to be dead and in my wood pile.:D

turnerted
11th February 2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Ray this is the one I had at the GTG

Ted

Grommett
11th February 2011, 06:31 PM
I like it for both pens and bowls. The contrast filler looks good. Must admit I would probably use dust and CA. Ebonise the dust with vinegar and nails for a week first for a dark colour. Never tried using pigment. I'll be looking for the timber.

turnerted
12th February 2011, 04:36 PM
Grommett The pigment I use is available from fibreglass supply places and is meant for use in polyester resin . I bought a 100gm container for about $10 . Since you only use a miniscule amount,it will probably be a lifetime supply . It is available in many colours .

Ted

rowie
12th February 2011, 07:52 PM
A similar bacterial stain to which Sassafras is prone to also occurs in a lot of older Peppercorn's heartwood. Some I have cut contained every color of the rainbow:o:o
This was some I cut a while ago.

Sawdust Maker
13th February 2011, 07:51 AM
Nice bowl Ted

rowie
That's just plain mean to show us timber like that
I've now got drool in my keyboard - and those pepper trees near china town are, IME, looking unhealthy, might have to help Sydney City Council with me saw. Civic duty an all.

ubeaut
13th February 2011, 08:50 AM
Wonderful timber to turn green. Turn it wafer thin, wet sand up to 1200 or more if it doesn't distort too much, friction dry the surfaces with rag or paper towel, coat of Shellawax and then leave it to do it;s own thing. You will get the most amazing cell collapse and will end up with a piece of natures own sculpture with a wonderful leathery feel. If the timber is spalted like the pics above the finished piece could have almost every colour of the rainbow in it and if there's a bit of fiddleback in then the final thing will be something really, really special.

WARNING: Turned dry, bloody awful stuff, and if you have even the slightest bit of spalting use a full blown respirator mask as the spores from the spalting/rot can make you very, very sick.

Turning it green stops the bad stuff from getting to you to a certain degree but exercise caution with clean up afterwards especially and spatter from the wet sanding.

Some of my most favourite bowls were turned from peppercorn in the fashion of the first paragraph above. I think I still have one kicking around from about 20 years ago. It;s somewhere in the keep but not for sale box, which distorted too much to be able to finish it. If I can find it I'll stick a pic on here.

Cheers :U

Sawdust Maker
13th February 2011, 10:04 AM
Ah
so take the lathe along when I help council with the trees :2tsup:

rsser
13th February 2011, 04:06 PM
Well taking a hijack lead from Rowie and Nick, and apologies TT, here's a pic of one I did from a Rowie-supplied blank.

Not the best bit of turning but happily the eye goes to the figure first.

Finish: Organoil DO, which dries flat. Hate the stuff.

Sawdust Maker
13th February 2011, 09:14 PM
Nice bit of wood, Ern
no comment on technique, I'm not wearing the specs so can't see anything wrong
what size?

rsser
14th February 2011, 06:43 AM
18 cm Nick.