PDA

View Full Version : Custom Pyro logos to identify turned work as mine

TimberNut
22nd November 2004, 01:12 PM
Hey Guys,

In days gone by I always burnt my name and wood species and date into the bottom of my work before selling/giving away etc. Guess that's what they taught me at school, and I never broke the habit.

Now it's time to be a bit more creative.

I now burn little footprints into each piece (as kind of a personal 'logo' if you like) (and yes, there's a reason for the footprints).

The only way i can do it is with a pyro pen, and burn each one freehand. I am getting fairly good at them, but I want to make them more consistent.

My best idea was to bend up a couple of paper clips into the shapes i want (left foot, right foot) then heat them and use like a mini branding-iron. This would allow me to get the consistency i am looking for, but obviously paper clips wouldn't stand up to the heat, and hold their shape long term.

I guess what I'm after is a custom mini branding- iron with long-term re-usability.

The metal to be heated would have to be hard enough not to lose shape with continual re-heating, but somehow I would have to be able to fashion the 'logo' that I want.

Any creative suggestions ?

dereg
22nd November 2004, 01:19 PM
go to www.rockler.com and type "branding" in the search box
regards
Dereg

TimberNut
22nd November 2004, 02:57 PM
Dereg.

You champion!! exactly what I was looking for! any idea if there are importers in Oz already? I will send them an email to see if they have distributors here.

Any other suggestions greatfully received.

ClintO
22nd November 2004, 06:32 PM
Lee valley also has branding irons

Clint

Don Nethercott
22nd November 2004, 08:20 PM
Try this site -
http://www.growinglifestyle.com.au/article/s0/a253174.html

smidsy
23rd November 2004, 01:10 AM
Why not get an engraver to make your design for you - or do it yourself if you've got a steady hand.

Normally an engraver would carve the pattern you want, so would it be too hard to draw out your pattern on the metal and then get the engraver to carve out the area around the pattern leaving the pattern raised?

Just a thought.

Cheers
Paul

Toymaker Len
23rd November 2004, 01:59 PM
I've had a couple of stamps made by Narooma steel stamps. The first one in brass took about five years to wear out. The second one in tool steel still looks new after four years. Sorry I've lost his number.

Jeff
7th December 2004, 04:04 PM
I had mine made by Nova Tool Co, not any relation to Nova lathes as far as I know. They (Frank) did a very fine job, well worth the time it took. Mine has a lot of fine detail and my signature in it, and it works very well. I sometimes need to make little branding discs to insert in some of the wood I turn because the grain is too wide to get a good imprint with the fine detail.
I don't know if they will ship to you but I think they would. Find them online by looking for novatoolco. They are in California. Mine is flame heated. I was able to take off the handle and thread in a stud so I can mount it in my drill press for accuracy.