PDA

View Full Version : To "wet" or not to "wet"

bert w
22nd November 2004, 05:51 PM
I have a clinker 4.7 runabout that I'm about to restore. The boat has been garaged for 20yrs and has not seen any water in this time. It was primered a long time ago but the owner passed away before finishing the job and now it's flaking. I've been told I have to "wet" the boat to stop it leaking, is this true and how do I go about doing it properly or do I reprime and repaint and dont worry about "wetting" ?

DavidG
22nd November 2004, 06:50 PM
Hi
Do all the restoration work and then BEFORE you take it to the water, put the hose on the inside and allow it to dribble until the boat holds water.

Won't say who to a clinker for a run after it had been well dried out and only just made it back to shore. :rolleyes:

journeyman Mick
22nd November 2004, 10:44 PM
Bert
Another approach, as filling it right up with water might stress the hull too much, hang wet hessian bags all over and keep wet for a few days. Launch and stay close to shore until you're sure she's not going to sink. On the (large) timber boats I've worked on they've used hessian right around the hull and sprinklers to stop the hull drying out for the week of refit.

Mick

barnsey
23rd November 2004, 02:50 PM
Hi Bert,

Notwithstanding anything said above - all good advice - when you are refurbishing make sure you tighten any rivets and roves because they will be well cemented in the dried out timber and may in fact inhibit the timber taking up and sealing where they are. My old man used to get me on the outside to hold against the head while he tightened em on our old clinker bay boat down at Rosebud many years ago. ;)

Jamie

bert w
2nd December 2004, 04:03 PM
I'd like to thank all the people that replied to my question, it's the first time i've used the "forum" and its a pleasure to talk to people who share the same passion as myself. Thanks, Bert w.