PDA

View Full Version : In uncharted territory.

joevan
14th February 2011, 02:44 PM
I bought this blank (600x700X110 mm, Norfolk Island Pine ) from Ken W. His suggestion was to make a bowl or platter or several bowls or platters from this blank. I took the challenge and made "one" bowl from this blank. With the help of John (Letzzzgo) we massaged it down to a turning blank of some 600 mm diameter and a thicknes of some 100 mm, screwded to a face pate and put it onto my "Nova" lathe and would you believe it was running very smoothly on a low speed. As I do not have any outboard turning gear, the work had to be done without any tailstock support. Well, as you can see, on the supplied pictures, the end product "turned out" to be quite satisfactory to me without any dramas. The measurements of the final product are some 570 mm diameter and the hight is 95 mm. The finish was done in 2 coats of proof sealer and 3 coats of Rustin's Danish Oil. Any type of criticism is well come

letzzzgo
14th February 2011, 03:07 PM
Who needs a 'outboard turning attachment', when you're as clever as what we are!!! :D

Well done Joe, the bowl looks great! :2tsup:

John

RETIRED
14th February 2011, 04:39 PM
Joe. Considering that you were the "brake drum kid" 6 months ago you have done a nice job on that.

Good shape and the only crit I have is that the foot could have been a bit smaller so that you could carry the line a little further..

RETIRED
14th February 2011, 04:40 PM
PS. John also.:D

mkypenturner
14th February 2011, 05:41 PM
thats a beauty :2tsup::2tsup:
i thought ken w would have given that huge piece :D
only seem to see his work made up tiny pieces joined together :D:D

Manuka Jock
14th February 2011, 06:06 PM
Good skills all round Joe :2tsup:
Your platter will set well in the middle of the dining room table .

gotta love the swivel heads and turning from the 'off side' eh mate :U

artme
14th February 2011, 09:20 PM
Nice work Joe!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
14th February 2011, 10:39 PM
Looks great Joe and congratulations to you and John
for the result.

However, it is too large for just one sandwich. Guess we
will all see it next Saturday for "show and tell". :2tsup:

Allan

Paul39
15th February 2011, 06:11 AM
Clever arrangement for turning, nice timber, nice shape and finish.

I like your chuck for finishing the bottom.

Good job all around.

munruben
15th February 2011, 07:39 AM
Very nice looking piece, I would be well pleased with the results of that one.:2tsup::2tsup:

joevan
15th February 2011, 10:53 AM
Hello to all the friends in the turning fraternity,
Many thanks to all the feedback received sofar. I suppose the real criticism I will get when I take this bowl to the next monthly meeting for show and tell.
BR Joe v K.