PDA

View Full Version : Sturdee’s height and depth gauges.

Sturdee
24th November 2004, 08:57 PM
To adjust the height of the table saw blade or router table mounted router bit I used a simple measuring block which is graduated in 5mm increments and then made minor adjustments by trial and error. This was time consuming and not very accurate.

So recently I made a height adjustment and measuring gauge based on a jig I saw on the net but using sail track rather than a sliding dovetail for keeping the two parts together.

The channel for the sail track to slide in is built up by gluing small strips onto the main guide block and the base has a number of small magnets (one R.E. magnet would also be sufficient).

Photo 1 shows the original jig.

Photo 2 shows the new one on the saw table.

Photo 3 shows the two parts.

Peter.

Sturdee
24th November 2004, 08:59 PM
To complement the new gauge I also made one for use with hand held routers. Again I used the laminated method by gluing up small strips together rather than cutting a mortise into the top. The base for the jig is an old spare shop made Perspex router base.

In use I adjust the gauge to the depth of the router bit needed and tighten it. I then clamp it to the router base and adjust the router depth setting. Thus allowing accurate setting of the router. The jig uses the knockdown fittings for the clamp as described in a previous post.

Photo 1 shows the parts used.

Photo 2 shows the first glue up.

Photo 3 shows the second glue up.

Photo 4 shows the final glue up.

Peter.

Sturdee
24th November 2004, 09:01 PM
Photo 1 shows the completed jig showing the clamping bit.

Photo 2 shows the completed jig showing the measuring tape glued onto the moveable block.

Photo 3 shows the jig clamped onto a router.

Peter.

Sturdee
24th November 2004, 09:04 PM
Finally to complement the above a made three depth gauges.

The first uses a measuring steel rule. This was made by laminating two pieces together but before doing that I cut the grove for the ruler on the bandsaw.

The second one uses an 8mm steel bar which I cut out of an old tent peg.

The third is the same except smaller and uses a thinner steel bar, which came out of an old typewriter. (The one I stripped for the roller of a previous post).

Again I used the same knock down fittings and all were finished with a couple coats of hard shellack and Ubeaut’s traditional wax.

Ads usual any comments and questions are always appreciated.

Peter.

jow104
24th November 2004, 09:13 PM
Looks good Peter.
Are you taking orders?

To add to your useful tool may I suggest that the protruding end of a calliper when applied to your gauge is an extra benefit in obtaining the required measurement.

gatiep
24th November 2004, 09:59 PM
Hi Peter,

Seems like a lot of trouble kind of re-inventing the wheel when the chinese have already done it. I bought one of these off Carbatec in Perth for $20-00 on their special.
Have a good one.

:)

Sturdee
24th November 2004, 10:11 PM
Joe,

But where is the fun in buying it when you can make it yourself. Besides there is much more enjoyment in using the jigs you have made much than the bought ones.

Besides my local Carbatec store is in Melbourne. According to their track record it probably wouldn't be in stock and may take say 6 months if I order it. So making them is quicker. :D

Peter.

GCP310
25th November 2004, 12:07 AM
Im with Pete on this. Making your own tools i find, is actually more fun than building the SWMBO's projects.

Nice work Pete, You never cease to amaze me. i can se another workshop extension coming along shortly. :D

G

DanP
25th November 2004, 12:30 AM
Nice work peter, I just wish you'd get a blue fetish. I've got to put my sunnies on every time you post something in Triton Orange. :p

Dan

barnsey
25th November 2004, 12:41 AM
Sturdee,

I'm not havin a go but I've always used the steel rule. Set the fence, set the depth, test, away you go ;)

Just don't see the advantage of makin' something that does what I achieve with very little trouble in the first place. :confused:

What don't I understand??? :rolleyes:

Jamie

CHJ
25th November 2004, 04:34 AM
Just don't see the advantage of makin' something that does what I achieve with very little trouble in the first place. :confused:
What don't I understand??? :rolleyes:

Jamie
I hope it is still the same for you in 10 yrs time. For those of us with less than 20/20 uncorrected vision 1 mm ruled lines are very difficult to focus on when not in optimum focusing position. A remotely set guage is a very useful tool.

Chas

himzol
25th November 2004, 09:15 AM
great work peter,

I specialy like the idea of using the steel rule in the depth gauge. I also agree that there is far more satisfaction in using something you've made your self.

Himzo.

barnsey
25th November 2004, 09:53 AM
G'day Chas,

Point made ;)

Hope I'm OK into the future coz my old man lost his sight in the past year and I wound up with most of his workshop :(

Regards

Jamie

Sturdee
25th November 2004, 04:40 PM
Jamie,

I know that you are not having a go and no offence taken.

The point you raise is valid. The ability to use a rule and judge by line of sight is a gift and is to be valued. I used to work for someone who had that ability, he could look along a timber frame and tell you exactly which stud was out of square.

Sadly, like many others, my vision is not like that. I have to wear glasses to see properly and marking gauges are a help. Like you said look after your sight, for once gone you face permanent darkness.

This possibility I faced last year when my wife, as a consequence of her long term diabetes, kept getting eyebleeds and for a few weeks each time had no vision. After three operations in one eye and then one in the other she has regained full vision, but still has trouble with nightvision so she can't drive at night.

Whilst this happened I spent many hours in waiting rooms at the Eye and Ear Hospital ( great hospital and fantastic doctors ) and I had ample opportunity to see evidence of what accidents involving loss of sight happen through carelessness.

Sorry about the rant but when it affects you personally you get wound up. :D

Peter.

Sturdee
25th November 2004, 04:50 PM
I just wish you'd get a blue fetish.

Dan,

My orange fetish goes back to prior too migrating to this country and I learned about a sunburnt country.

As you know a dutchman and orange go hand in hand. :D :D Any further explanation would get upset :p suffice to say that she wore an orange hairlint and not a blue one.

Peter.

barnsey
25th November 2004, 06:12 PM
Point made ;)

Hope I'm OK into the future coz my old man lost his sight in the past year and I wound up with most of his workshop :(

Sturdee and any others I might have unintentionally upset. :o

My thinking was focussed on the process, not those trying to do it - only myself. :rolleyes:

Your comments have reinforced something that should have been in the front of my thoughts rather than buried away. :(

If it's any consolation the events that have happened to my Dad break me up and I feel like a bloody idiot for not seeing others point of view. I'm the other way around - need glasses to drive but can read the phone book without any trouble. :o

Please accept my apology in the spirit I intended :o

Sturdee
25th November 2004, 06:32 PM
Jamie,

As I said, I knew that you were not having a go at me.

So no offence was taken by me and I hope also by no one else. Your apology gracefully accepted but was not necessary. I feel sorry for your dad losing his sight, I am lucky that at least my wife regained hers.

Peter.

gatiep
25th November 2004, 07:34 PM
Hey Peter, Now that I managed to take the mickey out of you: Nice job those gauges.

I use the tail end of my digital vernier a lot as the figures are nice and big on it. For turning, I use the tool rest up against the face of the work and again the vernier tail to get the depth or I just push the gouge down to the bottom, my thumb marks the depth where the gouge crosses the tool rest, then just transfer the tool to the outside and I can see how deep I am in relation to the base.
If I had the time I would build jigs like those but I have found short cuts which are accurate enough, especially for woodturning. When I do metal turning, which have to be exact I take great care reading either the vernier or whatever means of measuring.
The Dutch song says: Oranje, blanje, blou! ( orange, white and blue) so perhaps oneday you'll change the present colour ( which reminds me of an outside dunny in paw paw season)( I am colour blind tho) to some nice blue. ( Peter: The spelling of the colours was in Afrikaans but it is very similar to the Dutch spelling.)
Almost the end of the working week.............Have yourself a great weekend Peter.....I promise I won't hassle you again till the next time.

GCP310
25th November 2004, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by barnsey
Point made

Hope I'm OK into the future coz my old man lost his sight in the past year and I wound up with most of his workshop

Sturdee and any others I might have unintentionally upset.

My thinking was focussed on the process, not those trying to do it - only myself.

Your comments have reinforced something that should have been in the front of my thoughts rather than buried away.

If it's any consolation the events that have happened to my Dad break me up and I feel like a bloody idiot for not seeing others point of view. I'm the other way around - need glasses to drive but can read the phone book without any trouble.

Please accept my apology in the spirit I intended

I dont think you offended anyone round here,Barnsey. This is an open discussion forum, everyone is entitled to comment, good or bad.

i would use a steel rule too, but would attempt to make one of Sturdees creations before handing cash over to the likes of Carbatec or Others.

G

CHJ
25th November 2004, 09:39 PM
No offence here either Barnsey; Having always worked in an envirionment where it was accepted that nobody can measure accuratly I have always been used to comparing an item or setting against a fixed standard, whatever that may be.
Consequently I use a drill shank etc. to set a depth of cut etc. rather than my eyeballs.
Some projects never ever see a rule used as a measure, only a comparator.
Most jobs just match one piece of timber or joint to another, after all I am the creator, who is to know what dimension I intended it to be.

Please excuse any spelling gaffs, I'm cooling my heals in Bavaria at the moment without my trusty spell checker.

Chas

Sturdee
25th November 2004, 10:05 PM
The Dutch song says: Oranje, blanje, blou! ( orange, white and blue) so perhaps one day you'll change the present colour ( which reminds me of an outside dunny in paw paw season)( I am colour blind tho) to some nice blue. ( Peter: The spelling of the colours was in Afrikaans but it is very similar to the Dutch spelling.)

Joe, no worries mate.

Like most who can speak Dutch I can read Afrikaans (but not speak it). After all it is just an ancient and noble dialect of Dutch that stood still and did not develop like Dutch because the bloody poms invaded your country. :D

The Dutch flag is red, white and blue not orange, white and blue but an orange streamer is allowed to be flown above the flag signifying the Royal house of Orange.

And remember " Alles sal reg komen" ( I think that's how you spell it.)

Peter.

outback
26th November 2004, 08:08 PM
And remember " Alles sal reg komen" ( I think that's how you spell it.)

MUM!!! I think he's swearing again. :D :D

routermaniac
26th November 2004, 10:20 PM
Hi Peter,

Seems like a lot of trouble kind of re-inventing the wheel when the chinese have already done it. I bought one of these off Carbatec in Perth for $20-00 on their special.
Have a good one.

I think Peters jig would be much more accurate for setting the table saw as the base that sits on the blade is much wider, the chinese version is a pain in the butt to use for the tablesaw, as you have to sit around and find the centre of the blade and then rotate the blade to the max height... have used something similar to peter, works MUCH better :D

good one Pete, especially the idea of using the steel rule.