PDA

View Full Version : Taming the SKEW

cookie48
26th February 2011, 12:48 AM
I have lost it and can not get it back.:~ I used to be able to get a decent edge on my Skew, but now can not for some reason:(( Even tho I use it often I have never been good at it. Is there anyone north of Adelaide that can assist me please.

Terry V
27th February 2011, 03:58 AM
I have lost it and can not get it back.:~ I used to be able to get a decent edge on my Skew, but now can not for some reason:(( Even tho I use it often I have never been good at it. Is there anyone north of Adelaide that can assist me please.

Well, I'm in the UK and that's north of Adelaide! Not sure though if the problem is sharpening or using the skew. If sharpening, I find a long bevel makes it easier. If using, practice is the key (you already know that of course, there is no way round it). If it helps though, you can see my short article on getting the most from practice with the skew (http://knol.google.com/k/terry-vaughan/the-skew-chisel/3189nulue6g3o/1#).

Terry

cookie48
27th February 2011, 10:10 PM
Terry. Thanks for that. I have printed it out and will keep in my shed.
Dean

NeilS
28th February 2011, 10:48 AM
Cookie - even if I was Nth of Adelaide I wouldn't be that much help to you as I never got to be that friendly with the skew.

My only bit of advice (gratuitous I know) is to go back to small diameter spindles for while and then progress slowly up again in diameter. I find that helps me to get back in the saddle, if I have a larger diameter skew job to do.

Alastair
7th March 2011, 03:04 PM

Grind to a 25-30 deg included angle. Bear in mind that on an 8" gringer, (and more so on a 6"), you need to grind with the TOOL at a greater angle, as the hollow grind will make for a narrower angle at the edge. If this ends up much less than 25 deg, two things: It will burn like a b*gger when grinding, and while it will be very sharp, it won't survive long, while turning.

When grinding, I use a Veritas jig, so that I can get a consistent bevel. This is probably the most difficult thing.

Go VERY slowly, as you approach the edge,. You are grinding quite a big bevel, so it goes slowly, and the edge is very susceptible to burning. While HSS is said not to be a problem, I creep up on this slowly, and with lots of water dipping. Most important is not to round off at either long or short point.

Once you have your hollow ground bevels, hone it on both sides, with heel and edge in contact, on either oil or water stone, your preference. I use cheap oilstone. As the skew dulls, you can repeat this honing for a long time, before the secondary bevel gets too large, then back to the grinder.

Hope this helps.

regards