PDA

View Full Version : Plasterboarding the rumpus room..

Mowy
25th November 2004, 02:37 PM
Hi All,

I have decided to plaster my rumpus room which is currently bare masonary. After determining that it was fairly straight, I decided to plaster it straight onto the masonary using masonary adhesive. This is all good and well but I am a bit lost when it comes to windows.

My current window doesn't have a frame and the window is bolted straight onto the masonary. I have attached a photo. Hopefully you'll see what I mean. What would be the best way to plaster this region?

Thanks!

seriph1
25th November 2004, 03:21 PM
hi Mowy

I feel you could fix an architrave around the window - it would likely need to be rebated in the back or (easier) have a thin strip of timber glued and nailed along its length prior to fitting and painting - this would "step" the architrave off the wall, allowing the plaster somewhere to stop into .... also, you could make a "reveal" for the interior perimeter of the window trim in timber to enable the paint colour and flat surface of the plaster to "return" into the window....in fact, if you made the reveals wide enough you would eliminate the need to rebate the architraves

let me know if I am being clear - I doubt I am.

:D

Jacksin
25th November 2004, 03:35 PM
G'day Mowy your picture is not close enough to show what you mean, but I guess, if you fix thin timber reveals and allow the gyprock to run up to these then cover with architrave, or glue gyprock in the reveals and attach angles to the corners and flush.
Jack ;)

silentC
25th November 2004, 04:00 PM
Like this.

On the left timber reveal with architrave. You could fix the reveal to the brickwork with masonry anchors or rawl plug and screw.

On the right flush corner with plaster reveals. More modern look.

seriph1
25th November 2004, 05:54 PM
yeah - what he said

;)

Mowy
25th November 2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks guys!!

When its all done, Im going to have to invite you all to a bbq :)

seriph1
25th November 2004, 06:05 PM
you have NO idea as to the implicatioins of what you just said

..... I can see the headlines now

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D