PDA

View Full Version : Spindle moulder tooling

journeyman Mick
25th November 2004, 11:05 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any recomendations regarding tooling for a spindle moulder, I've got one arriving some time next week. I never really paid much attention to the brands of the cutters etc when I worked with them. CMT has about 100 different profiles (some 40mm wide, others 50mm) in their catalogue. Their heads have indexing pins which lock into holes in the knives. Does anyone know whether this pin arrangement is common to all the different brands or (more likely) they do they all use slightly different systems.

Mick

John Saxton
26th November 2004, 12:00 AM
I have just posted and the ISP cut me off so here goes again. :mad:

Mick, I have a CMT door making set, and an OMAS ART.391 multiple profile set.
The CMT is really excellent with its limiters provided also.

Both Cutter blocks have locating pins the CMT 2 as you may be aware whilst the Omas has but 1.
Other heads I am aware of have either a wedge purchase block which can have up to 4 cutters per block and Allen Keyed grub screws in place or slotted(french head) design.Also some use a serrated surface cutter to match a serrated internal surface of the cutter block.

The pin type appears quite common here with the positive location more likely acceptable to Australian Standards(but dont quote me).

Hope all goes well with your new spindle moulder.
Cheers :)

vsquizz
26th November 2004, 12:04 AM
Mick, what model did you get??

I have just posted and the ISP cut me off so here goes again. :mad:
John, I always have trouble when the clock hits midnight in Mexico, last about 15-20 mins.

Cheers

John Saxton
26th November 2004, 12:16 AM
John, I always have trouble when the clock hits midnight in Mexico, last about 15-20 mins.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Squizz,
It's either those scurrilous scoundrels again or those "pepper pounding pussies" why can't they keep reasonable hours :rolleyes:

Hasta la Vista Babe
Cheers :)

journeyman Mick
26th November 2004, 09:33 AM
Squizzy,
bought one for sale on this board (I'd link to the thread but I have no idea how). It's a big old cast iron beast of about 300kg, with a 5hp 3 phase motor :D . It was so cheap I couldn't pass it up :cool: , pity the freight cost almost twice as much again :rolleyes: .

John,
I was kind of hoping that if I bought say, a CMT cutterhead I wouldn't be limited to just their selection of profiles but that other manufacturer's knives would fit as well. I really bought it for door making (full size doors, not cabinets) and CMT only has one profile available for this. Does anybody out there know of any other manufacturers/suppliers of tooling?

Mick

joez
26th November 2004, 10:20 AM
Mick,

If you went for the CMT option, you can buy blank cutters and get them sharpened to any profile you want.

I have been told most sharpening places can do this, but I have never done it, maybe someone else can chime in here on how well this option works.

Joe

glock40sw
26th November 2004, 12:21 PM
G'day All.
Mick. Have a yarn to Dean at Auswide Saw & Tooling at the Gold Coast.
He's in the book.
He has a huge variety of heads, knives etc etc etc.
he also does TCT retipping at very reasonable costs.

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton

Wood Butcher
26th November 2004, 09:24 PM
don't forget about freud and leuco cutters, they have stockists in brisbane.

Wood Butcher
26th November 2004, 09:29 PM
Another thought a bit off track. If you are doing large amounts of long work, look at getting a power feed. Makes life so much easier, we just bought a second spindle moulder and fitted a power feed straight away for grooving boards for plastic tongue. (Also keeps the fingers away!)

journeyman Mick
26th November 2004, 10:18 PM
Wood butcher,
got a power feed already, use it on my router table (but I might have to buy a second one now) Who are the dealers for Freud and Leuco? I know I can get custom heads made by Auswide (I've visited them down on the coast) and that most good sharpening services or toolmakers can grind custom profiles. Before I commit to a particular brand though, I want to see what's available. The brand that has the greatest range of off the shelf profiles is probably going to get the nod as it will probably prove the most economical in the long run. That is of course, as long as they're good quality and are distributed by someone that offers good service.

Mick

Wood Butcher
26th November 2004, 11:01 PM
Believe it or not, my trade catalogues for the two are missing. I will be going to work in the morning so I will find out for you and post tomorrow.

Wood Butcher
29th November 2004, 10:45 PM
Finally got back on line.

Brisbane Saw Service used to be the agents for Lueco,

Major Woodworking Equipment Sydney - freud

Combined Saw & Knife - Dimar?
116 Lipscombe Rd Deception Bay QLD 4508
ph: (07) 3203 1706
Have recently bought cutters from CSK, prices are reasonably are staff were fairly willing to talk, They can also do custom profiles if needed.

markharrison
30th November 2004, 04:36 PM
You might also have a look at Holz-Profi. As I recall when I visited they were going to sell the Holz-Profi tooling and I understand that they are competitively priced.

http://www.holzprofi.com.au/

Also check out the Felder people. I got a flyer in the mail and there were specials on their tooling as well.

No affiliation (yada, yada)...

ffitahw
26th April 2008, 05:06 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any recomendations regarding tooling for a spindle moulder, I've got one arriving some time next week. I never really paid much attention to the brands of the cutters etc when I worked with them. CMT has about 100 different profiles (some 40mm wide, others 50mm) in their catalogue. Their heads have indexing pins which lock into holes in the knives. Does anyone know whether this pin arrangement is common to all the different brands or (more likely) they do they all use slightly different systems.

Mick

Hi Mick
The holes and pins on the CMT tooling are a standard Euro fitting and came into force in Europe some years back . I have a block made over 20 years ago with this same pin setting and the latest tooling fits.
The pins are a safety device to prevent the cutters coming out when the machine is running. The limiters are an anti kick back device that stops the cutters throwing the wood out if this go wrong, believe me they are there as a safety device and work.
Always use the guards and fences supplied with the machine and a push stick to keep the hands away,
I have demonstated these machines and tools at shows and exhibitions for the last 30 years and still have all my fingers, if used correctly these machines are safe.
Enjoy the machine as it is probably one of the most versatile machines in the workshop.

Stringy
26th April 2008, 10:16 PM
I have an IVA steel cutter head from Henry Bros Saws in Sydney and Freud cutters. IVA, Freud, CMT etc all have this standard pin spacing as stated.
Cost varies wildly with both the cutters and cutter heads, I was in no hurry to buy so investigated and ended up with the above combination. I also wanted a steel cutter head not Al alloy!
Also have the Freud 2000 and 1000 kitchen rail/stile/panel raising set and can't fault.