PDA

View Full Version : Wormy Hoop Pine

Little Festo
3rd March 2011, 12:43 PM
Hello all. Not too sure about this one. Some old hoop pine that was attacked by a grub or two. It was left out in the weather a bit too long i think.

It's only had one coat of finishing oil, will get another 3-4.

Size approx 300X 290.

All comments welcome.

Peter

NeilS
3rd March 2011, 02:35 PM
Perfect form for that wood.

ticklingmedusa
3rd March 2011, 04:48 PM
Nice work Festo. :2tsup:
Every time I turn thin material like that I lose the knots.
I think the shot on the right side looks a little like a portrait of ET.
I hope you show us the results after more oil.

Paulphot
3rd March 2011, 08:15 PM
Amazing colour coming through, that would have been a challenge keeping it together so well.

WOODY70
3rd March 2011, 09:04 PM
Hello all. Not too sure about this one. Some old hoop pine that was attacked by a grub or two. It was left out in the weather a bit too long i think.

It's only had one coat of finishing oil, will get another 3-4.

Size approx 300X 290.

All comments welcome.

Peter
Looks good Peter.
You wouldn't have any green hoop by any chance 300mm dia x 300 deep.
need for Soren Berger at Turnfest.

Cheers
Dave

dai sensei
3rd March 2011, 09:24 PM
Beautiful work Peter :2tsup:

You must have been a bit worried it was all going to give way with those worm holes :oo:

I wasn't aware the hoop branches go all the way to the middle, I thought it was only Norfolk that did.

You wouldn't have any green hoop by any chance 300mm dia x 300 deep. need for Soren Berger at Turnfest.

I might have some Norfolk, I could check sizes, but not with branch stems. Any use?

WOODY70
4th March 2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks Neil,

Would be great. Soren does not want any knots.

Cheers
Dave

Little Festo
4th March 2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks Neil,

Would be great. Soren does not want any knots.

Cheers
Dave
I have a piece out in the weather so it might have a bit of bluing. I'll prep it today.

Peter

Little Festo
4th March 2011, 09:02 AM
Beautiful work Peter :2tsup:

You must have been a bit worried it was all going to give way with those worm holes :oo:

I wasn't aware the hoop branches go all the way to the middle, I thought it was only Norfolk that did.

I might have some Norfolk, I could check sizes, but not with branch stems. Any use?

The knots go all the way in both hoop and Bunya. They actually travel upwards so they don't go straight from the center.

Peter

artme
5th March 2011, 05:38 PM
Beautiful work LF!!! :brava:brava:brava:brava

Little Festo
5th March 2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all of the comments. I wasn't too sure if I could get away with all of the worm holes but it seems it works - sold it today so well pleased.

Peter

Cliff Rogers
5th March 2011, 07:07 PM
Yup. :2tsup:

I can see ET in the one on the right too. :)

What did you use to stabilize it while you turned it?

Little Festo
6th March 2011, 11:53 AM
Yup. :2tsup:

I can see ET in the one on the right too. :)

What did you use to stabilize it while you turned it?

Hello Cliff,

If memory serves me right it was an old dry piece that had been sitting around inside the shed. Didn't do anything to stabilize it just turned it. sanded it and the oiled it.

When i wet turn them they go through a series of plastic bags then paper bags then sanded. Being end-grain they tend not to warp too much so sanding isn't too much of a problem althought knots do tend to warp quite a bit.

Peter

Cliff Rogers
6th March 2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks.

I had some pieces of Kauri Pine that had been on the ground too long & they had some good/interesting stains from fungal attack & some spalt.

I found some of it was easy to turn & finish but I have one big bowl sitting in the shed at the roughed out stage but the punky bits tear out.

I have tried a few things to stablise it but have not yet finished it.... I decided that I had too much good, easy to turn timber to go back to it. :-

I really should try again. :rolleyes: