PDA

View Full Version : Design change or Big Oops

bowl-basher
5th March 2011, 05:59 PM
This piece of Camphor Laurel started out to be a squat "vase" with a fairly large mouth to put fancy makeup pencils in. but while turning it at club the other week I managed to get a bit carried away and finished up with an odd shaped doughnut.... so a design change was called for :B
and it ended up a lidded bowl with a base and lid from some scrap red gum and the finial from a half a pen blank of Solomon island ebony
Dimensions are 130at the center and 100 highthe finial is 50mm high
the finish is sanded to 600 EEE, and liquid shellawax
I am rather pleased with the result particularly as it was heading for the firewood box
Love your comments
Bowl-Basher

wheelinround
5th March 2011, 06:35 PM
Mr G its not a bad ooppps the colour and shape are one as are the attachments. Like the addition of the lid the decoration around it. :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
5th March 2011, 08:12 PM
Graham, not a big oops.
It's a stunning piece of work, with the most beautiful timber.
Love the decoration on the lid.
This is a winner.
Ad :2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
5th March 2011, 09:12 PM
Looks great to me. I especially like the crisp lines
and the great use of grain. Love the ornamental result too.:2tsup:

Allan

Ed Reiss
6th March 2011, 12:46 PM
BB...IMHO the overall look would benefit without the foot - the foot adds too many angles to an already "busy" design.

Also a touch thinner on the finial would be a winner.

All in all, you still did a good job on a difficult shape.:2tsup:

bowl-basher
6th March 2011, 01:00 PM
BB...IMHO the overall look would benefit without the foot - the foot adds too many angles to an already "busy" design.

Also a touch thinner on the finial would be a winner.

All in all, you still did a good job on a difficult shape.:2tsup:

Thanks Ed
I think you are right... But the problem was that where the base should have been was a large hole and I had to grip by the "new" base to finish off the transplanted red gum base.. on the finial you are absolutly correct and I am trying to work out how to get it back on the lathe to correct this... I need to spend some more time on finials as i tend to make them a bit chunky all the time
Thanks again for your comments
Bowl-Basher

wheelinround
6th March 2011, 01:51 PM
Graham depending on the underside of the lid.

I'd place it in a cole jaw or on a flat face plate bring the tail stock up with a wooden tip shaped to take the end of the finial and help centre it. Then proceed to turn it down.

Or place it into a large jaw chuck using tape or non-slip cloth to protect it.

Yep done all of the above:B

Ray

Grommett
6th March 2011, 02:19 PM
The bowl body has great figure and its too good for firewood. The great thing about an oops is you get to learn new stuff, what does/not work. Given you are stuck with needing a foot what about having the lid and the finial out of the same timber. Having 3 timbers is, I think,one too many.
Otherwise a great save.

I cannot believe I just used great 3 times in one short post!

artme
6th March 2011, 06:28 PM
Stunning timber and well turned..:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Personally I think the foot is an unwanted addition.

Sawdust Maker
6th March 2011, 07:46 PM
I would have said what Ed said, but since it's been said I won't

great bit of grain on the camphor - well woth perserving with I reckon

Michael Spain
7th March 2011, 04:01 AM
Hi,beautiful and laborious work, very nice forms, appreciate that you love the wood and transmit part of you to it, a greeting from Canary Islands.:2tsup: